Slavoj Žižek. Being and Subjectivity: Act and Evental Enthusiasm. 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 3, 2012
http://www.egs.edu/ Slavoj Žižek, philosopher and author, in a friendly debate with students on ontology and politics in relation to Alain Badiou's philosophy. In this lecture Slavoj Žižek discusses the status of the subject, transcendental phenomenal existence, the difference between act and Event, the necessity of terror, Christianity, Saint Paul, inconsistency of the big Other, the communist hypothesis and political nomination in relationship to Jacques Lacan, Alain Badiou, Alenka Zupančič, Mladen Dolar, Sigmund Freud, Gilles Deleuze, Immanuel Kant, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Jacques Alain Miller, Bruno Bosteels, Ernesto Laclau, Michel Foucault, Jacques Derrida and Judith Butler focusing on truth, void, multiplicity, immanent Two, phallus, inexistence, the barred One, object a, le point, Hegelian essence, anxiety, political enthusiasm, master signifier, love and fidelity. Public open lecture for the students and faculty of the European Graduate School EGS Media and Communication Studies department program Saas-Fee Switzerland Europe. 2012. Slavoj Žižek.
Slavoj Žižek, Ph.D., (born March 21, 1949), is a senior researcher at the Institute of Sociology, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, and a returning faculty member of the European Graduate School. He has also been a visiting professor at a number of American Universities (Columbia, Princeton, New School for Social Research, New York University, University of Michigan). Slavoj Žižek recieved his Ph.D. in Philosophy in Ljubljana studying Psychoanalysis. He also studied at the University of Paris. Slavoj Žižek is a cultural critic, philosopher and film theorist who is internationally known for his innovative interpretations of Hegel, Marx and Jacques Lacan. Slavoj Žižek has been called the 'Elvis Presley' of philosophy as well as an 'academic rock star.'
Slavoj Žižek is the author of The Sublime Object of Ideology (1989), For They Know Not What They Do (1991), Looking Awry: an Introduction to Jacques Lacan Through Popular Culture (1991), Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Lacan (But Were Afraid To Ask Hitchcock) (1992), Enjoy Your Symptom! Jacques Lacan In Hollywood And Out (1992), Tarrying With The Negative (1993), Mapping Ideology (1994), The Indivisible Remainder (1996), The Plague of Fantasies (1997), The Abyss Of Freedom (1997), The Ticklish Subject: The Absent Centre of Political Ontology (1999), Contingency, Hegemony, Universality: Contemporary Dialogues on the Left (with Judith Butler and Ernesto Laclau) (2000), The Art of the Ridiculous Sublime, On David Lynch's Lost Highway (2000), The Fragile Absolute or Why the Christian Legacy is Worth Fighting For (2000), On Belief (2001), The Fright of Real Tears (2001), Did Somebody Say Totalitarianism? (2001), The Puppet and the Dwarf (2003), Organs Without Bodies: On Deleuze and Consequences (2003), Iraq The Borrowed Kettle (2004) Violence (2008), First As Tragedy, Then As Farce (2009), Living in the End Times (2010), Less Than Nothing: Hegel and the Shadow of Dialectical Materialism (2012), and most recently, The Year of Dreaming Dangerously (2012).
Standard YouTube License
- 6:34 Slavoj Žižek: Don't Act. Just Think.by Big Think Featured 299,078
- 1:28:04 Slavoj Žižek. Ontological Incompleteness In Painting, Literature and Quantum Theory. 2012by egsvideo20,131 views
- 1:27:56 Slavoj Žižek. Object a and The Function of Ideology. 2012by egsvideo15,510 views
- 1:30:19 Slavoj Žižek. The Big Other and The Event of Subjectivity. 2012by egsvideo7,861 views
- 1:27:34 Slavoj Žižek. Lacanian Theology and Buddhism. 2012by egsvideo11,183 views
- 1:36:27 Slavoj Žižek. The Irony of Buddhism. 2012by egsvideo31,133 views
- 1:14:38 A Critical Intro to Foucaultby Brad Younger13,922 views
- 1:09:57 Slavoj Žižek. The Buddhist Ethic and the Spirit of Global Capitalism. 2012by egsvideo45,897 views
- 1:18:11 Signs From The Future Slavoj Zizek (Please susbscribe)by AtheismExamined3,545 views
- 1:37:57 Manuel DeLanda. Deleuze, Subjectivity, and Knowledge. 2011by egsvideo6,398 views
- 1:09:17 Slavoj Žižek. Communist Absconditus. 2012by egsvideo30,134 views
- 1:14:39 Slavoj Zizek: The Reality of the Virtualby Casper Børretzen21,409 views
- 26:31 Slavoj Zizek criticizing buddhismby Massimo Abassi28,226 views
- 1:44:37 International Journal of Žižek Studies Conference 2012by Simon Gros4,601 views
- 1:54:20 Zizek Lecture on Buddhism, "Buddhist Slavoj Zizek" Gangnam styleby گنجینه موسیقی ایرانی29,360 views
- 58:35 Slavoj Žižek: Is It Still Possible to Be a Hegelian Today?by eDysfunktion20,128 views
- 1:06:38 Slavoj Zizek on Architecture and Aestheticsby گنجینه موسیقی ایرانی5,646 views
- 17:22 Slavoj Zizek - Understanding the New European Nationalism s appeal.by AmetReloads19,553 views
- 1:09:30 Zizek! Full Documentaryby Robby F11,290 views
- 16:33 Slavoj Žižek - What does it mean to be a revolutionary today - Marxism 2009by گنجینه موسیقی ایرانی2,651 views
- Loading more suggestions...