What is Spec Work?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 21, 2012
A brief introduction to Spec Work.
Video by Topic Simple (http://www.topicsimple.com)
In the Design World SPEC WORK is short for SPECULATIVE WORK and that means... ummmm... its kind of like when you... ahhh.... it basically means: "Working for Free"
It usually comes in two forms:
A client asks several designers - or design firms - to complete part of a new project. The client picks one winner, gives them the job, and the others go home with nothing for their hard work.
A client starts a "contest" and gather's submission from hundred's, if not thousands of designers. They pick one winner, pay a modest fee, and the rest go home with nothing for their hard work.
So What's Wrong With This?
If you are a client, the best design work should come out of a healthy relationship with a designer, where your needs and wants are understood, and ideas are developed with you from the ground up. Just because you get lots of free designs, doesn't mean any of them are good and in fact, many can be blatant rip offs. Spec Contests have actually created an underground system whereby some unscrupulous designers will quickly enter as many as possible as they copy work from the web and present it as their own. So that new logo of yours... may actually already be someone else's...
If you are a designer, you just shouldn't work for established companies for free, period. If you need to build your portfolio there are other ways! Design for a local charity, or your friend's new business, or just spend the time creating your own projects.
Spec Work would seem absurd in most other professional industries...
Could you ask several chef's to prepare your next meal for free and then only pay for the best one?
Could you hold a contest and get 100s of lawyers to write your will and then only pick and reward one?
Didn't think so... perhaps its time we started to treat designers, you know, just like everyone else?
Think about it.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:39:49 2012/05/18 中天青年論壇 陳文茜 vs 張忠謀by jimmywei0923Featured 26,899
- 3:47 A Conversation With My 12 Year Old Self: 20th Anniversary Editionby weepingprophet 9,901,419 views
- 2:44 Exposure Doesn't Pay Billsby Enzo Dal Verme 83,461 views
- 2:24 What is HTML5 & 5 Reasons to Use itby ShareSquare 23,221 views
- 14:09 HTML5 - Part 1 - How to make a website from scratchby imakewebsitesdude 104,062 views
- Graphic design 52,543 videos256
- 1:54 Coca Cola . presentation of coke rarest in the world!by vayo89 635,346 views
- 8:37 Apple iWatch SPECS REVEALED!by ZONEofTECH 34,194 views
- 4:40 The Man of 100 Voicesby FlashJMG 8,603,345 views
- 10:48 RSA Animate - Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates usby The RSA 10,522,789 views
- 1:32 What is HTML5?by TopicSimple 180,000 views
- 9:52 DC SHOES: KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA FIVE: ULTIMATE URBAN PLAYGROUND; SAN FRANCISCOby DCshoesFILM 46,332,168 views
- 4:19 Mettre en place une Gestion de la Relation Client - Les jeudi d'Emilieby DirecteurMarketing 2,724 views
- 2:20 The Vendor Client relationship - in real world situationsby zeorge497 2,259,053 views
- 4:50 Today's Home Remodeler - GeoComfort Geothermal: Part 2by EnertechMFG 1,117 views
- 1:49 InfoMotion zur Studie work:designby Zi Zukunftsinstitut 2,733 views
- 4:09 SAIL - AWOLNATIONby Nanalew 50,367,472 views
- 2:02 WHEN A CLIENT WON'T PAY YOUby csandreas 2,436 views
- 1:35 How to Grow Potatoes in a Bucketby TopicSimple 27,405 views
- 4:25 Brackets: A Free Open Source Code Editor for the Webby CodeBrackets 67,057 views
- 1:25 I Heard You Are A Graphic Designerby soslight3 14,954 views
- Loading more suggestions...