Pardons: The Power Nobody Wants | The New School
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 31, 2011
Office of the President | http://www.newschool.edu/leadership/p...
The Hon. Dennis Jacobs, chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and a distinguished panel of experts explore the history and real-world application of the power of pardon at the state and federal level.
Following opening remarks by New School president David E. Van Zandt, Judge Jacobs explains the history of the power, its role in correcting injustice in the application of criminal law, and the way the decline in its use reflects a missed opportunity, lack of imagination, and failure of courage.
Our panel then examines the critical historical, legal, economic, and ethical issues surrounding the pardon power and the implications of its greater or lesser use.
Leadership at THE NEW SCHOOL | http://www.newschool.edu/leadership/
- Moderator: Senator Bob Kerrey, President Emeritus, The New School.
- Hon. Dennis Jacobs, Chief Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Hon. Robert L. Ehrlich, Senior Counsel, King & Spalding; former Governor of Maryland; former Congressman (R-MD), U.S. House of Representatives.
- Julie Stewart, President and Founder, Families Against Mandatory Minimums.
- Margaret Colgate Love, Attorney; former Pardon Attorney, Office of the Pardon Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice.
- Anthony Papa, Manager, Media Relations, Drug Policy Alliance; clemency recipient following imprisonment for first-time, nonviolent drug offense under New York's draconian Rockefeller Drug Laws.
THE NEW SCHOOL | http://www.newschool.edu
Location: Tishman Auditorium, Alvin Johnson/J. M. Kaplan Hall.
10/26/2011 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:48:11 What is the Relevance of Marxism in the 21st Century? | The New Schoolby The New School50,814 views
- 1:35:35 The Nation at The New School: Ten Years After 9/11by The New School1,261 views
- 1:31:52 Does Philosophy Still Matter? | The New Schoolby The New School52,166 views
- 1:15:07 A Lecture by President of Ecuador Rafael Correa (Spanish) | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School23,734 views
- 12:33 Petitioning for Executive Clemencyby IllinoisLegalAid1,108 views
- 1:36:19 Black Female Voices: A public dialogue between bell hooks and Melissa Harris-Perry | The New Schoolby The New School9,208 views
- 1:28:56 Joseph Stiglitz: The Price of Inequality | The New Schoolby The New School13,898 views
- 1:31:14 Wikileaks: Implications for International Affairs | The New Schoolby The New School594 views
- 11:09 Julie Stewartby Constitution Project1,036 views
- 13:38 The President's Power to Pardonby PSRuckman782 views
- 7:24 Success Belongs to the Power of Thoughtby Maharishi Mahesh Yogi57,090 views
- 1:21:08 Communicative Language Teaching: Jeremy Harmer and Scott Thornbury | The New Schoolby The New School14,656 views
- 2:03:49 Occupy Everywhere | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School17,713 views
- 2:02:21 Why the Economic Crisis Deepens | The New Schoolby The New School78,354 views
- 1:09:27 Communicative Grammar for Multi-Level English Language Learners | The New Schoolby The New School38,978 views
- 33:23 10th Annual Barbara K. Olson Memorial Lecture featuring Judge Dennis G. Jacobs 11-19-10by The Federalist Society944 views
- 1:06:00 2010 - Body and State - Buying and Selling the Body, Pt 2 | The New Schoolby The New School638 views
- 2:59 Press Club Rewind - February 6, 2012by The National Press Club411 views
- 1:21:58 Mexican Ambassador Arturo Sarukhan at The New Schoolby The New School2,109 views
- 58:04 Conversations with History: Peter Neufeldby University of California Television (UCTV)1,678 views
- Loading more suggestions...