BlackBerry 10 delayed, RIM future in doubt after bleak earnings report
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 2, 2012
SUBSCRIBE to Next Media Animation: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...
BlackBerry fans: It just got worse. BlackBerry maker Research in Motion (RIM) announced that the BlackBerry 10 smartphone and BlackBerry 10 operating system's launches will be delayed, 30 percent of RIM employees will be laid off and that RIM posted a loss of $518 million in the latest quarter.
Twitter @nmatv: https://twitter.com/#!/nmatv
The Waterloo, Ontario company announced the bad news in its fiscal first quarter report on Thursday, prompting shares to tumble 15 percent to $7.75 in late trading. BlackBerry 10 was widely seen as the company's last hope to catch up with rivals Apple and Android. Smartphones running Google's Android platform accounted for 59 percent of the global market in the first quarter of 2012, with Apple's iPhones taking 23 percent. BlackBerry's share of the global market was 6.4 percent, compared with 13.6% a year ago.
BlackBerry 10's launch has been postponed until the first three months of 2013, a delay of seven to nine months. Within that time, Apple will launch a new iPhone, Android developers will launch new phones running Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean and more Windows Phone 8 phones will be released. By the time BlackBerry 10 comes out it may be too late.
In an earnings call with analysts, CEO Thorsten Heins said building the BlackBerry 10 "has proven to be more challenging and time consuming than anticipated," and that a as result the expected 2012 launch "was no longer realistic."
"I will not deliver a product to the market that is not ready to meet the needs of our customers, or provide anything less than an outstanding user experience with the quality I expect a BlackBerry product to have," he said. "There will be no compromise on this issue."
Analysts were not impressed. Many believe RIM needs to take radical action to survive, such as switching to a Windows operating system or selling off RIM's intellectual property assets.
"In our view, the risk of total value destruction over the next few years is possible as at this point we cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel," said Bank of America/Merrill Lynch analyst Tal Liani.
"While all the key indicators continue to decline, management appears to be taking a 'damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead' approach to running the business," said Ehud Gelblum, an analyst at Morgan Stanley.
"We fear that the company could be driving 100 mph straight into a brick wall. We also worry that no company can operate normally, let alone develop, launch and market a brand new, company-wide and globally impacting platform while laying off nearly one-third of its workforce — it's just point of view."
Standard YouTube License
- 59:08 THE SECRETS OF SCIENTOLOGY (FULL DOCUMENTARY)by CONSPIRACY CULT!Featured 700,970
- 1:20 Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes divorce: Scientology to blameby NMAWorldEdition 37,336 views
- 1:19 "Buxom Bandit" Tonee Walker: Dumbest Criminal Caught on Tape?by Taiwanese Animation 203,552 views
- 1:20 Anderson Cooper comes out: "The fact is, I'm gay"by NMAWorldEdition 19,459 views
- 0:50 Supreme Court rules in favor of ObamaCareby NMAWorldEdition 9,697 views
- 1:26 How Animals Eat Their Foodby MisterEpicMann 62,810,357 views
- 1:09 Boeing 747 crash at Bagram Airfield caught on tapeby RT America 1,242,164 views
- 14:15 BlackBerry 10 Features Demo - Thorsten Heins & Vivekby NewVideoSource 39,714 views
- 7:40 The BGR Show - RIM's BlackBerry 10 Phonesby i am OTHER 37,628 views
- 2:40 RIM Posts Big Loss, Delays BlackBerry 10by WSJDigitalNetwork 1,556 views
- 2:49 RIM on the Ropesby CBCTheNational 828 views
- 2:18 RIM Unveils Keyboard-Less Blackberry 10by WSJDigitalNetwork 74,020 views
- 6:01 A Preview Of What BlackBerry 10 has To Offer!by LowyatTV 60,108 views
- 10:38 BlackBerry 10 OS Demo of BBM, Calendar, Contacts, Messages & More!by BlackBerryOS.com Videos 25,732 views
- 8:13 First Look At BlackBerry OS 10by Lowyat.TV 78,563 views
- 4:00 Blackberries: Explained!by Marques Brownlee 64,566 views
- 2:36 BlackBerry 10: a closer lookby TheVerge 246,821 views
- 2:06 Cramer: RIM Can Not Be Savedby TheStreetTV 3,077 views
- 1:15 Dear Blackberry, Sincerely iPhoneby ClassAdSpoof 10,792 views
- 10:38 BlackBerry 10 Preview - Flow UI, Keyboard and Time Warp Photo appby CrackBerrydotCom 197,130 views
- Loading more suggestions...