Snoring Dormouse with sound - listen
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 21, 2011
Don't worry, he's okay! He's just sleeping.
He's a dormouse. In winter, dormice hibernate in nests beneath the fallen leaves on the ground. When they wake up in spring, they build woven nests of honeysuckle bark and fresh leaves in hedgerows and woods. If the weather is cold and wet, and food scarce, they save energy by going into 'torpor' -- they curl up into a ball and go to sleep. In fact, in Britain the dormouse may spend up to three quarters of its life asleep, either hibernating in winter or in torpor during summer. It is believed their name comes from the Anglo-Norman word dormeus, meaning "sleepy (one)". This evolved to become dormouse even though they are more closely related to squirrels.
As autumn comes, they prepare for hibernation by fattening up on nuts and berries. Then around the time of the first frost, when the temperatures fall below 15 oC, their metabolism shuts down and they find a secure, dry place to build a nest and sleep. During hibernation they lose about a quarter of their body weight.
They don't actually sound like this in hibernation, so don't worry. The normal sound is a high-pitched 'peep'. This dormouse was found in torpor by conservationists sleeping in a nesting box they had provided. He was only very briefly removed as part of a monitoring project to be checked and weighed to ensure he has enough fat reserves to slumber on through until spring. He was in the hands of a licensed expert and judged to be in good health. Obtaining a licence to handle dormice requires up two years of training!
Now that it's summer he will be up in the branches of the trees searching for a mate and getting ready to gorge on nuts and berries to fatten himself up for the next hibernation.
Facebook page: http://on.fb.me/wgtn2n
There's also some great footage here: http://bbc.in/xAjHEy
You can help work to protect endangered dormice and other wildlife by giving a donation. Click here: http://bit.ly/AfDNLk
This work 'Snoring Dormouse with sound - listen' is Copyright © 2011 Nicholas Barr
This work 'Snoring Dormouse with sound - listen' is an adaption of 'SurreyWT: Snoring Dormouse' originally made available with a Creative Commons Attribution licence (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...) by the Surrey Wildlife Trust http://bit.ly/wP4Fak
Standard YouTube License
- 1:42:21 LA TUMBA PERDIDA DE JESUS ( JAMES CAMERON) BBCby Juan Pala347,817 views
- 44:30 Countdown to UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz - Full Episodeby Shaw586,383 views
- 5:18 Wolf vs German Shepherd Puppy!!!by RZRCRIP688,959 views
- 1:26 Kitten Refuses to Leave Warm Bath!by shan zee6,492,928 views
- 4:36 Cute cats feel guilty - Funny guilty cat compilationby Tiger Productions5,591,137 views
- 4:28 Hand feeding Hummingbirdsby SalteryLodge3,385,904 views
- 8:02 Homeless Boy Steals The Talent Showby inspirationbygod103,628,699 views
- 2:13 Horrible Fat Squirrelby irandyman468,798 views
- 0:52 Complete version of Shocked White Mouse！吓呆掉的小白鼠完整版！！so cute!by FunFunChina1,982,859 views
- 1:47 Lovely Owlby MrNuraT15,392,484 views
- 0:42 Home Made Mouse Trap..... Bowl Of Oilby dvelez5291,798,675 views
- 2:04 Susan Atkins 2008 Parole Hearing - The Big Storyby bretg7886,446 views
- 2:19 My barn owl and catby 333nyao5,825,791 views
- 23 videos Play all Funny Animal Videos - whataPrat.comby pratvids
- 2:51 The most patient and docile cat ever!by lindaleriel13,249,331 views
- 2:58 Das ''Beste'' von Lustich.deby Inci20098,772,858 views
- 1:20 CuteWinFail: Static Dogby cutewinfail4,525,292 views
- 3:04 Supercats: Episode 1 — The Funniest Cat Video!by MeowFace300049,289,488 views
- 2:42 Cat Turns Treat Monsterby Kim Clune3,212,377 views
- 2:25 My Bunny Burberry (Rest in Peace)by Grace Zucker415,503 views