Cachaça Declaration of Indepenence
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 28, 2009
Worlds Best Bartenders: Legalize Cachaça Now!
Bartenders Ratify Cachaça Declaration of Independence at Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans, LA
New Orleans, LA Top Bartenders from around the world signed and officially ratified the Cachaça Declaration of Independence at the Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans. Top Bartenders were unanimous in proclaiming Cachaça as Cachaça, and not Brazilian Rum, as is currently required by U.S. law on Cachaça in the United States.
A copy of the Declaration, which was signed by over 1,000 bartenders, will be sent to the U.S. Governments TTB, the government agency responsible for spirits labeling. Signors included Top Bartenders such as Tony Abou-Ganim, Dale DeGroff, Steve Olson, Jim Meehan, Naren Young, Jacob Briars, Jackson Cannon, Junior Merino, Alex Miranda, Somer Perez, John Hogan, Jay Law, Patricia Richards, Pablo Moix, Bridget Albert, and Tony Conigliaro. The original document will be sent to the Museum of the American Cocktail in New Orleans for display, as suggested by San Francisco bartender H. Joseph Ehrmann during an after-hours cocktail party. Its where it should be its now part of cocktail history, said Mr. Ehrmann.
Cachaça, the noble Brazilian spirit, is the third most consumed spirit in the world. Cachaça can only be made from fresh sugar cane juice, not molasses like most rums, and can only be produced in Brazil according to Brazilian normative laws. The United States is one of the few countries that does not recognize Cachaça as Cachaça, requiring Cachaça packaging in the United States to be labeled as Brazilian Rum.
Cachaça was created in Brazil in the 1530s, one hundred years before Rum, said Australian bartender and journalist Naren Young, currently tending bar at Bobo in New York City. Its time to make Cachaça the legally-recognized descriptor, and bag Brazilian Rum from the U.S. label. Its bogus, said Young.
Brazilians dont make Rum they make Cachaça! said Las Vegas mixologist Tony Abou-Ganim. Its their proud national spirit, and putting Brazilian Rum on the label is like putting Mexican Whiskey on a Tequila bottle. It doesnt make any sense, said Mr. Abou-Ganim.
As part of the signing ceremonies, bartenders took to the streets in front of the Hotel Monteleone on Royal Street in New Orleans, chanting Legalize Cachaça, Legalize Cachaça in concert with a local street jazz band. Traffic was stopped, and the Cachaça Declaration of Independence was read aloud by Mr. Gerard Schweitzer. Local law enforcement arrived, asking for the street to be cleared. The New Orleans police also signed the Declaration, and a street celebration ensued. It seems like a good cause, the police officer in charge was reported as saying.
Organizers plan to continue their campaign to Legalize Cachaça until the U.S. Government approves the recognition of Cachaça as its own legal description. Its confusing to Americans, and rather insulting to Brazilians, said Steve Luttmann from Leblon Cachaça. Its like being named Jennifer, and having everyone call you Mary. It doesnt seem to make any sense.
Jennifer was not available for comment.
To learn more, visit www.legalizecachaca.com.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:14 Tales of the Cocktail 2009, Leblon Cachaça USBG Caipirinha Competitionby liveloveleblon1,802 views
- 2:47 Legalize Cachaça - June 12th International Cachaça Dayby liveloveleblon1,439 views
- 5:19 3 Gringos - 1 Beach - And a Muddlerby liveloveleblon3,627 views
- 6:54 Alex Atala & Leblon Cachaçaby liveloveleblon30,086 views
- 6:44 Pepe moreno Acabar com a cachaça,com partic/de Antonio Magalhães (O padre)by RARERIRORULOUCO445,996 views
- 5:55 UFC Cachaçaby XxjonnyxX1000390,378 views
- 3:36 Napoleon House and Tujague's: Paul Gustingsby SouthernFoodways796 views
- 8:15 Patricia Richardson/ Musical Tributeby Hawaiizoo50,776 views
- 8:54 The Fire Within - Making Novo Fogo Cachaçaby NovoFogo561 views
- 7:44 Cachaça Magnífica [Deutsche Untertitel]by Arno Schmid-Egger1,246 views
- 4:16 Columns Hotel Bar: Michael Smithby SouthernFoodways271 views
- 8:18 PDT's Jim Meehan Stirs Classic New Orleans Cocktailsby Condé Nast Traveler11,353 views
- 2:52 TM 015 - Jim Meehanby jayhepburn694 views
- 2:26 Grand Marnier's Puccini Fresca Cocktailby laviegrandmarnier1,973 views
- 2:18 youtube-Ride Like A Pro New Orleansby kjmeyers1,697 views
- 5:55 UFC Cachaça se for lutar não beba! - High Definition(HD)by pedro tenorio117,640 views
- 2:50 Vodka 101 with Junior Merino (Part 1 of 3)by Sobieski Vodka6,313 views
- 3:20 Molecular Program @ Tequilas by Junior Merinoby Tequila Siembra Azul2,607 views
- 3:42 www.dwink.com presents Tony Conigliaro at 69 Colebrooke Rowby dutchwink4,608 views
- 3:32 Save St Richards Hospital - Patricia Routledge Speaks Outby Sven Svensson29,559 views
- Loading more suggestions...