Atheist Life vs Religious Life
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 9, 2007
Some argue that religious life is the best way to live. They claim life without a god is sad and depressing. Statements like "I could not imagine my life without God", and "My life would be meaningless without God", are common defenses for a religious life. The following is a list of advantages atheists enjoy over a religious life. I invite the religious viewers to submit a response video with the advantages of a religious life.
Atheists can make moral decisions based on the specific context. Having absolutes like "Though Shall not Lie" stops people from thinking for themselves and making the right decision based on the situation at hand. In what situation would be okay to lie? Most religious people would say, never. Atheists would disagree. For example: If you were living in Germany hiding Jews in your attic during the holocaust, and Hitler's Nazis knocked on your door and asked if you were hiding Jews, would it be okay to lie to save the lives of the Jews in your attic? I believe trying to save their lives would the moral and proper choice. Atheists have the power to do what's right for all humanity, rather than the forced perspective of doing what is right for a god.
Atheists can experience healthy outrage at the outrageous without fear of questioning God's plan. We can be outraged when a friend dies of a horrible disease, or is killed in a car accident. It is okay to be upset at disasters and horrible events. It is not a part of any plan. It is just a horrible event. Atheists try to learn from them and not just chalk it up to God's Plan. We use science to understand catastrophic events like hurricanes, and tsunamis. This gives us the ability to save lives. If we think a magical plan is going to happen no matter what, then why try to stop the events or make things better. Atheists do not wonder if a god is punishing us. Yes, there is cause and effect, and our actions effect how we live, you should save for retirement, and if your diet is bad you'll end up fat, or sick, or both. But if an airplane part falls on your house, it is an accident. If you find a 5 dollar bill on the sidewalk, it is an accident. No magical intervention, no magical wrath, these are just accidents. Life has an element of chance. This may not seem comforting, but here is another way to look at it: Your loved one dies in a completely random car accident where nobody could possibly be blamed. Is it more comforting to know the accident happened because of bad luck or is better to think the accident could have been prevented by an omnipotent being that could have stepped in and saved them from an untimely death, but your god decided to just let them die? You don't have to be frustrated thinking "Was it because I didn't pray enough?" "Was God mad at me or them?" "Maybe I should have prayed more." Atheist take comfort in knowing there is no plan.
Atheist can be friends with everyone without having the thought in the back of their mind that this person's lifestyle may be evil. You have the power to accept people for what they are. Enabling you to enjoy their quirks rather than chastise them for being unique. Atheists can have relationships with people who have alternative lifestyles without feeling like they have to save them from some deity that is going to condemn them for being themselves. After all, if there was a creator, then he has made everyone the way they are. Atheists don't fear that a large part of the earth's population is going to hell for being true to themselves.
Atheists do not live with the fear of hell. This is one of the hardest things for religious people to shake and one of the best rewards. Religious people love the thought of heaven, but fear hell as a consequence. In order to lose the fear of hell, you have to let go of the false hope of heaven. Atheists have done both.
Atheists raise freethinking children; let them pick a religion, or none. What would you have picked? This is hard for parents. If a child wanted to be another religion, or even atheist, it would be devastating to most religious parents. Why not teach them about all religions and tell them why you believe the one you do, and then let them choose? Atheists do not force atheism on their children. We simple let them see the evidence for and against religion and let them make up there own mind. They may change there mind several times. This is okay. Atheists love their children no matter what belief they are drawn too. That is the beauty of free thinking. You can raise your children according to your values without feeling as though you have to defend Bible stories that even a child can see are fiction.
Standard YouTube License
Next in Atheist Slide Shows
- 4:37 Why do people laugh at creationists? (part 1)by Thunderf00t Featured 1,700,279
- The Amazing Atheist 714 videos489K
- 5:13 Confessions of a Former Christianby FightingAtheist348,679 views
- 5:58 How to tell your Religious Parents you are Atheist/Agnosticby FightingAtheist285,804 views
- 8:24 How to Convert an Atheist Part 1by FightingAtheist1,372,204 views
- 9:37 Brain Washing ( Jesus Camp ''Highlights'' )by Luen041,414,877 views
- 2:06:55 The God Debate II: Harris vs. Craigby NDdotEDU744,097 views
- 5:32 Atheist Michael Newdow Intellectually Demolishes Arrogant Moron on Fox Newsby neotropic92,399,172 views
- 6:56 Jesus and Mohammed, who is greater?by 9jesus342,874 views
- 1:00:30 Debate: Atheist vs Christian (Richard Dawkins vs Cardinal George Pell)by VeganAtheist93,734 views
- 4:31 Prove that Jesus is imaginary in less than 5 minutesby GIIVideo1,094,188 views
- 10:00 The God That Nobody Is Aware Of... Lucifer? - Atheist Experience 518by village1diot129,319 views
- 8:11 Lets Test Them: Evolution vs. Creationismby DonExodus21,002,558 views
- 2:06:56 Debate: Atheist vs Christian (Sam Harris vs William Lane Craig)by VeganAtheist110,168 views
- 45:22 When Sin Looks More Enjoyable Than Godby pashakaramazov468,836 views
- 14:59 Science Saved My Soul.by philhellenes1,461,244 views
- 31:08 Richard Dawkins: Militant atheismby TED1,061,215 views
- 7:54 Growing Atheist Movement in Americaby PiroNiro335,756 views
- 1:48:04 The God Debate: Hitchens vs. D'Souzaby NDdotEDU622,964 views