Uploaded on Oct 28, 2008
Ever notice your neck and shoulders hurt after a stressful day? You're probably holding a lot of tension in those muscles. Here are some stress relief tips and exercises for your body after a rough day, from family and lifestyle correspondent Ylonda Caviness.
Stress relief tips and exercises - How to relieve stress
Stress not only makes you feel lousy and ill-tempered, it can literally be a killer. It's important to find outlets for stress relief and identify its sources as well.
* First, you must recognize that you are stressed. It's more than likely just you and not everyone around you who is stressed as that moment.
* To relieve stress, you need to identify the source of it. Often just your day-to-day tasks can cause a great deal of stress.
* Exercises you can do almost anywhere for stress relief:
1. If you are in your car rushing to get somewhere and trying to beat a light, simply stop and let the light catch you. Take deep breaths while sitting at the light and tell yourself "The tension is flowing out of my body."
2. You can also simply shrug your shoulders and hold it for 4-5 seconds. A lot of tension is held in your shoulders.
3. Listening to music can help relieve stress. Put on some silly music that will allow you to have fun and lighten up.
4. Laughter is the best prescription for stress relief - even try to laugh at yourself.
* Recognize that its not just you who is stressed out—everyone goes through stressful situations.
how to relieve stress
dealing with stress