Derelict Joyland Amusement Park Kansas, America.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 8, 2011
At first glance, these desolate images look like they're from the aftermath of a warzone, or a ghost town left behind from the Chernobyl disaster. But in fact these pictures were taken in the heartland of America - at Wichita's Joyland, an amusement park with the most inappropriate name you can imagine. In its heyday, thousands of families from across Kansas would flock to the park to scream and yell on the wooden rollercoaster and listen to Louie the clown play on his Wurlitzer organ. But now the loudspeakers stand silent and corroded, the bright yellow big wheel is faded and rusting and the dodgems sit mournfully with no-one to ride them. Fascinating new images reveal the ghostly desolation of the abandoned amusement park, which opened in 1949 and ran continuously until it was closed in 2003 because of financial problems.
Vandals have sprayed every available surface with graffiti, and trees grow through the rides which were among the first of their kind. Beneath the faded Joyland sign, a 'closed for the season' billboard has letters missing, and the famous Wacky Shack looks like a haunted house, its colours faded by time.
A Minute Maid cart has been overturned and left to be covered in weeds, and a reel of faded tickets lies abandoned on the floor. It's all a far cry from when Lester Ottoway and his sons, Herbert and Harold, opened the park to house their miniature steam locomotive in June 1949. They originally opened the park at 1515 East Central, but quickly moved to 2801 South Hillside, where it rapidly expanded. It is still home to one of the last surviving Philadelphia Toboggan Company rollercoasters, a wooden coaster with an 80ft drop and top speeds of 50mph.
It re-opened briefly in 2006, but since then it has been left to rust away. Numerous attempts to revive it have failed because of a lack of interest, as families turn away from the funfair tradition. The Mighty Wurlitzer, a Mammoth Military Band Organ - one of only two left in existence - still stands but now the roar of a 25-man military brass band which used to resonate through the park is silent. In the late 1960s, the Ottoway brothers retired and sold Joyland to Stanley and Margaret Nelson, who ran the park for more than 30 years.They added 24 rides including dodgems, a log flume and a Ferris wheel. They also opened a Whacky Shack dark ride, one of the few left in the country. But as Joyland began to age, rides fell into disrepair and attendance dropped. Eventually the couple ran into financial difficulties, and in 2004 they were forced to close the park
In 2006, Seattle-based group T-Rex leased it from the Nelsons and temporarily re-opened the park for one season, but demand wasn't high enough to make it pay and since then it has stood derelict. Fires have broken out several times, and young vandals continually break in, smashing windows and covering the park in graffiti. Wichita residents have made several attempts to revive the park, but so far none have succeeded. The Joyland Restoration Project aims to recruit volunteers to clean up the park and re-open it as a not-for-profit.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:23 Forever Lost: The Ruins of Heritage USA Part 1 (HQ)by ThoughtTraveler47,962 views
- 41:56 This Is Geauga Lake - Amusement Park Remembered 1887 - 2007by MoviesMusicNature52,261 views
- 10:01 Joyland Amusement Parkby Travis Thomas13,393 views
- 12:02 Oldest Funhouse in the US in an Abandoned Amusement Park - PAby TheUnknownCameraman169,322 views
- 9:20 Fake and Abandoned Disneyworld in Chinaby Trey Ratcliff245,560 views
- 6:37 Derelict Blobbyland (Abandoned mr Blobby's house theme park) 2012 most recent footageby trimcatchris50,663 views
- 14:55 Joyland Amusement Park - Creepy ABANDONED Attractionby adamthewoo130,179 views
- 18 videos Play all Abandoned Theme Parksby babylon2257
- 13:09 Chernobyl/Pripyat - 25 Years Later, April 2011by Matt Smith232,193 views
- 6:18 The Lonesome Death of River Countryby m3jpnv104,933 views
- 14:58 Urbex: American Adventure Theme Park: Past and Presentby Augenauf20109,710 views
- 4:22 Joyland Amusement Park Tributeby usspike5,667 views
- 6:06 Abandoned Chippewa Lake Amusement Park - Lost in Ohioby OhioTravelerDOTcom23,769 views
- 8:33 Joyland Chinese Knock Off It's a Small World Dark Ride Boat Ride POV Jin Jiang Action Park Chinaby Theme Park Review43,687 views
- 1:53 The Rollercoaster ~ Joyland Amusement Park ~ Wichita KSby DITTO5767,483 views
- 13:46 Abandoned Amusement Park - PAby TheUnknownCameraman422,193 views
- 8:29 Ghost Town In The Sky - ABANDONED - Mountain Top Theme Parkby adamthewoo150,422 views
- 6:18 The Last One: The Mighty Wurlitzer Organby Digital Bard102,557 views
- 24:10 Joyland Amusement Park Abandonedby miah0221,116 views
- 10:31 American Adventure Theme Park 2007/ 2008by Dave Cap21,086 views