Woman Dies After Denied Abortion - Cenk on 'Morality'
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 14, 2012
"The debate over legalizing abortion in Ireland flared Wednesday after the government confirmed a miscarrying woman suffering from blood poisoning was refused a quick termination of her pregnancy and died in an Irish hospital.
Prime Minister Enda Kenny said he was awaiting findings from three investigations into the death of Savita Halappanavar, an Indian living in Galway since 2008 who was 17 weeks along in her pregnancy. The 31-year-old's case highlights the bizarre legal limbo in which pregnant women facing severe health problems in predominantly Catholic Ireland can find themselves.
Ireland's constitution officially bans abortion, but a 1992 Supreme Court ruling found it should be legalized for situations when the woman's life is at risk from continuing the pregnancy. Five governments since have refused to pass a law resolving the confusion, leaving Irish hospitals reluctant to terminate pregnancies except in the most obviously life-threatening circumstances."*
Cenk Uygur and Ana Kasparian discuss the story of Savita Halappanavar, who died after the Catholic hospital refused her repeated requests for an abortion. Are the strict abortion rules and imposed religious morality upheld by the hospital really viable in today's age? Where did the idea of this form of "morality" and religion over human life and suffering even originate, and why do people follow it? Cenk Uygur has an answer.
*Read more from Shawn Pogatchnik/ Chicago Sun Times:
Support The Young Turks by Subscribing http://bit.ly/TYTonYouTube
Support The Young Turks by Shopping http://bit.ly/XhuNqO
Like Us on Facebook: http://www.fb.com/tytnation
Follow Us on Twitter: http://bit.ly/OkX87X
Buy TYT Merch: http://theyoungturks.spreadshirt.com/
Find out how to watch The Young Turks on Current by clicking here: http://www.current.com/gettyt
Standard YouTube License
Next in The Young Turks Show YouTube Playlist November 14, 2012
- 5:58 Cornel West: Sharpton Sold Soul for Obamaby TheYoungTurksFeatured 82,720
- 4:26 Teen Bank Robber Caught After Bragging on Youtubeby TheYoungTurks 292,015 views
- 6:26 Jon Stewart Crushes Bill O'Reilly In Debateby TheYoungTurks 878,893 views
- 5:51 Racist YouTube Rant Forces Girls To Leave High Schoolby TheYoungTurks 503,532 views
- 12:53 Cenk Uygur Cuts Off Peter Schiff's Mic Then Kicks Him Off The Show!by MOXNEWSd0tC0M 152,323 views
- 2:41 Cenk Goes Ballistic (Revisited)by TheYoungTurks 64,493 views
- 0:56 Update on Shaanxi China Forced Abortion Caseby NTDTV 1,173,568 views
- 4:24 Worst Movie Death Scene Ever?by TheYoungTurks 577,201 views
- 7:38 Whose Fault Was Romney Loss? Conservative Finger-Pointingby TheYoungTurks 106,068 views
- 8:41 Romney: Blacks & Hispanics Wanted Gifts from Obamaby TheYoungTurks 86,042 views
- 7:03 Fox News Blames Black People (For Everything)by TheYoungTurks 130,435 views
- 10:16 Abortby Hadar Ageyev 529,636 views
- 9:22 Woman Denied Abortion Dies From Miscarriageby MrRepzion 34,336 views
- 9:45 How Obama Could Kick Republican Ass (If He Wanted To)by TheYoungTurks 46,896 views
- 6:36 Gangnam Style - O'Reilly's Racist, Confused Analysisby TheYoungTurks 797,778 views
- 5:17 Study: What Happens To Women Denied Abortions?by TheYoungTurks 37,987 views
- 4:37 Latino Votes Matter, Politicians Flock to Immigration Reformby TheYoungTurks 34,583 views
- 3:10 Christians Suing Over Atheist 'Nativity' Scenesby TheYoungTurks 78,273 views
- 5:34 GOP Chair: Hundreds of Black People Committed Voter Fraud!by TheYoungTurks 51,817 views
- 5:41 Donald Trump's Clownish Election Tweetsby TheYoungTurks 122,659 views
- Loading more suggestions...