Romantic Ireland from the streets
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 17, 2012
'Romantic Ireland: From The Streets' is an exhibition of art work hung at Anglo Irish HQ, North Wall Quay, Dublin. Anglo Irish Bank was a central player in the madness that went on in this country. This site is an exceptionally appropriate and evocative symbol of the audacity shown in the previous 20 years and the results of that audacity. We own this building through NAMA therefore no permission need be sought to use it. Nobody sought permission to spend our taxes on private debt.
'September 1913' is a century old acceptable and relevant comment on the effect of greed on the ideals of a nation. On St. Patrick's Day the world is watching us celebrate artistically. It seems appropriate to display an artistic response on this day that shows we're also capable of a bit of reflection.
This exhibition is an artistic response. It is part of a wider ongoing discussion around ideas of sovereignty and nationhood. Was it always like this? Are ordinary people consistently sold a lie for the benefit of a relatively small group of people? It has the potential to establish a starting point for a different discussion on Ireland. Is there a place for idealism? Is it a romantic notion? Is idealism interchangeable with naivety? What does it mean to be Irish? What is the relationship between the economy and being Irish? Or the economy and sovereignty or being Irish and sovereignty? We were in the exact same place 100 years ago. The exhibition is a statement of a few things, one of which is that there are many people who never lost the run of themselves over the course of the economic 'boom'. These people are still here. While the only discussion about Ireland to be heard is about the economy, this exhibition concerns what's best in being Irish -- Creativity, Self reliance, Community.
It was done for free by all participants.
It is a gift to the state
Standard YouTube License
- 5:20 Ring of Kerry Irelandby EurodestinationFeatured 26,944
- 3:33 Breaking news - Irelands Bankers being Arrested and Charged!by 88kmitchell 52,283 views
- 4:28 Fifty People, One Question: Philadelphiaby MilkBoy Communications 11,338 views
- 1:08 Romantic Ireland : From the streetsby romantic ireland 1,038 views
- 7:10 Twenty People, One Question - Quay Street, Galwayby 19gunslinger87 13,510 views
- W. B. Yeats 2,183 videos67
- 7:04 Despair - Irelandby Journeyman Pictures 8,683 views
- 1:45 Ireland Has Signed Historic Agreement On Immigration 2011--2012.by trident01101's channel 2,494 views
- 4:08 St Patricks Day 2011 - Riverdance Flashmob (Central Station, Sydney, Australia)by ShowbizIntl 892,511 views
- 3:36 Discover Irelandby TourismIreland 267,229 views
- 3:06 Are Irish people romantic?by Gaelic Girls 17,793 views
- 3:02 Discover Ireland - Irish Tourism in 2011by discoverirelanddotie 21,680 views
- 5:02 I'm in Ireland!by Rosanna Pansino 115,314 views
- 4:43 Glee Flash Mob - Grafton Street - Dublin, Irelandby SonyMusicIrelandLtd 226,365 views
- 19:03 Ireland!by arrabear 941 views
- 1:20 Fields of Athenry - Ireland v Spain, Gdansk, Euro 2012by Dan Kerins 633,251 views
- 5:18 Streets of Belfast - 1950's and 1960's - Northern Irelandby jaggme's channel 98,265 views
- 8:11 Irish Oil vs Norwegian Oil - Causes United (Ireland)by Barry O Brien 4,141 views
- 3:11 Republic of Irelandby yall4one1 648 views
- 12:55 Wonderful Dublin (Ireland)by PhotogRaf2009 22,935 views
- 6:32 2011 Winter Solstice: Newgrange Ireland:Our ancestors knew more of our futureby Is2012TheDate 7,701 views
- Loading more suggestions...