This video may be inappropriate for some users.
Butterball Abuse: Undercover Mercy For Animals Investigation Reveals Cruelty
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 23, 2011
Butterball has become synonymous with turkey. But how do the millions of turkeys who end up in the grocery store, or served at restaurants, under the Butterball brand, really live and die?
A new Mercy For Animals undercover investigation reveals the truth: extreme cruelty and violence is the harsh reality for birds on Butterball's factory farms.
Between November and December of 2011, an MFA undercover investigator documented a pattern of shocking abuse and neglect at a Butterball turkey semen collection facility in Shannon, North Carolina.
Hidden-camera footage taken at Butterball reveals:
* Workers violently kicking and stomping on birds, dragging them by their fragile wings and necks, and maliciously throwing turkeys onto the ground or into transport trucks in full view of company management;
* Employees bashing in the heads of live birds with metal bars, leaving many to slowly suffer and die from their injuries;
* Turkeys covered in flies, living in their own waste, with some unable to access food or water and suffering from severe feather loss
* Birds suffering from serious untreated illnesses and injuries, including open sores, infections, rotting eyes, and broken bones; and
* Severely injured turkeys, unable to stand up or walk, left to die without any veterinary care, because treating sick or injured birds was too costly and time consuming, as the farm manager explained to MFA's investigator.
After viewing the undercover footage, Dr. Sara Shields, research scientist, poultry specialist and consultant in animal welfare, said, "Turkeys are fully capable of feeling pain, fear, stress and of suffering, and the way they are treated in the video is clearly abusive."
Dr. Debra Teachout, a practicing veterinarian with experience in farmed-animal welfare, agrees, stating, "The birds are not living a life remotely worth living. Their world is full of fear, distress, pain, injury and illness as witnessed by this video. A culture of blatant and severe animal mistreatment has been allowed to flourish unchecked, and for that reason, this facility should be shut down immediately."
Following the investigation, MFA immediately went to law enforcement with extensive video footage and a detailed legal complaint outlining the routine violence and cruelty documented by the investigator at this Butterball facility. On Thursday, December 29, state law enforcement officials obtained a warrant and raided the facility on grounds of cruelty to animals.
Unfortunately, the lives of turkeys in Butterball's factory farms are short, brutal and filled with fear, violence and prolonged suffering. While wild turkeys are sleek, agile and able to fly, Butterball's turkeys have been selectively bred to grow so large, so quickly, that many of them suffer from painful bone defects, hip joint lesions, crippling foot and leg deformities, and fatal heart attacks.
This genetic manipulation creates birds that are so large they cannot even reproduce naturally, meaning that artificial semen collection and insemination have become the sole means of turkey reproduction at Butterball facilities.
Even though domestic turkeys have been genetically manipulated for enormous growth, these birds still retain their gentle, inquisitive and social natures. Oregon State University poultry scientist Dr. Tom Savage says that turkeys are "smart animals with personality and character, and keen awareness of their surroundings." In fact, animal behaviorists, veterinarians, and scientists now agree that turkeys are sensitive and intelligent animals with their own unique personalities, much like the dogs and cats we all know and love.
While MFA works to expose and end animal abuse at Butterball and other giants of the meat, dairy and egg industry, consumers can help prevent the needless suffering of turkeys and other animals by adopting a compassionate vegan diet.
Learn more at:
Standard YouTube License
- This video has been age-restricted based on our Community Guidelines
- 4:24 What Are Chicken Nuggets Made Of?by TheYoungTurksFeatured 6,801,824
- 3:51 McDonald's Cruelty: The Rotten Truth About Egg McMuffinsby mercyforanimals 1,083,399 views
- 6:27 Investigation Reveals Cruelty at Pig Factory Farmby mercyforanimals 98,460 views
- 3:00 No Mercy - Calf Farm Cruelty Exposedby mercyforanimals 89,810 views
- 3:13 Burger King Cruelty - Video Exposes Horrific Animal Abuse at a Burger King Dairy Supplierby mercyforanimals 260,534 views
- 126 videos Play all Vegan/Plant Based Dietby GingerTomkins1
- 2:10 Skinned Alive - Cruel Catfish Slaughter Exposedby mercyforanimals 76,472 views
- 4:13 Shocking Video: Walmart Pork Supplier Caught Abusing Pigsby mercyforanimals 159,221 views
- 9:38 Shocking slaughter footage: English slaughterhouses exposedby AnimalAid 313,879 views
- 2:41 Concealed Cruelty - Pork Industry Animal Abuse Exposedby mercyforanimals 235,122 views
- 11:51 Farm to Fridge - Mercy For Animals (Official HQ) With Subtitlesby UnoQueLlegaYDice 272,690 views
- 2:47 Chinese tell you how to slaughter a soft-shell turtle for food.by KodakZ950 36,345 views
- 11:48 Extreme animal cruelty in Australia *WARNING EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGES OF ANIMAL CRUELTY*by TheLastOutpost 320,817 views
- 2:13 Milk is Cruelby mercyforanimals 24,209 views
- 3:46 Walmart's Pork Supplier Exposedby hsus 198,682 views
- 2:38 The Truth About Sparboe Farms: Cruel to Animals & Dishonest to Customersby mercyforanimals 11,435 views
- 1:34 Mercy For Animals' Pro-Vegetarian MTV Commercialsby mercyforanimals 203,264 views
- 18:17 Mercy For Animals' Investigations: Deadly Exposing the Horrors of Factory Farms (1/2)by SupremeMasterTV07 4,767 views
- 4:27 45 Day Life of a Broiler Chickenby chinakitty16 186,755 views
- 2:50 Horse Slaughter :The Truth:by dillwithit 3,136,981 views
- 2:12 Inhuman slaughtering of a cowby WildFilmsIndia 31,280 views
- Loading more suggestions...