Mitt Gets Worse: Danny O'Donnell
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 25, 2012
NY Assemblyman Danny O'Donnell was the prime sponsor of New York's Marriage Equality Act, a bill he led to passage in the Assembly five times since 2007. The bill was signed into law in June 2011. O'Donnell also sponsored the Dignity for All Students Act, New York's comprehensive anti-bullying law, which requires public schools in New York to combat bias-based bullying and harassment.
In this video, O'Donnell speaks about his experience fighting for equality in New York and Mitt Romney's disappointing record.
For the last ten years, I had the vote of my
life. To fight for equality.
To fight for children.
To make our country a better, fairer more
There's one thing I know for sure.
That if we elect Mitt Romney,
my life will get much worse.
My name is Danny O'Donnell and I'm the
first openly gay man ever to be elected
to the New York State Assembly.
As an assembly member here in New York,
I led the fight for marriage equality,
getting my chamber to pass the marriage
bill five times before it was signed into law.
I also wrote the most comprehensive
anti-bullying bill in the nation, which
went into effect July 1st of this year.
And it made me very sad to know that a
colleague from Long Island, whose own
cousin was bullied as a child,
changed his vote from a "yes" to a "no"
because conservative leaders in the
state of New York told them he needed to
do so to have their support.
As a state legislator, I often look to
other states to see how they're
addressing the problems in our society.
So I looked to Massachusetts, wondering
how they were dealing with bullying.
And I was very distressed to learn that
Governor Romney refused to send out a
booklet to schools because included
protections for transgender children.
When it comes to leadership,
you need to look at someone's record.
Not just what they say,
but also what they've done.
And when you look at Governor Romney's
He has moved further and further away
from things he used to say he believes
A few months ago, the president travelled to
Albany, where I work as a state
and I got to meet him.
For the first time in my life,
I shook the hand of the sitting president of the
And not wanting to miss an opportunity, I
went right up to him and said, "Mr.
I'm the man who pass marriage equality
here in New York."
He looked a little nervous.
Afraid of what I might say next.
And then I told him that my husband and
I got married on January 29th,
and in our wedding, not one single
heterosexual was harmed.
He burst out laughing, and then I told them
that since January, not one
straight person the entire country
has had anything bad happened to them
because I had a marriage license.
The next day he went on nationwide
and told the country that he supports my
right to be a full American.
If you're a member of the LGBT
or if you're a supporter
of the LGBT community,
or just somebody who believes that America
I want to tell you that the difference
in this election is very clear.
We have a choice. We can move forward, and
we can let life get better,
or we can move backwards.
One thing is very clear.
With Mitt Romney as president,
it would get worse.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:21 Jon Stewart Totally DESTROYS Obama Administration Over IRS Scandal | A MUST WATCHby JonXTalks1 102,251 views
- 3:22 Daniel O'Donnell - Save The Last Dance For Meby SarnoLC 32,156 views
- 2:09 Mitt Gets Worse: Anthony Rappby Mitt Gets Worse 7,699 views
- 59:39 Daniel O'Donnell Live In Concertby Raymaur46 10,714 views
- 6:21 Jon Stewart Destroys Obama Over IRS Scandal & Lack Of 'Managerial Competence'by xtremetty 160,391 views
- 2:53 Bad Lip-Reading: Read Mitt Romney's Lipsby politicalarticles 95,186 views
- 3:43 Cliff Burton - Bass Solo - Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)by RIPCB 812,268 views
- 1:41 Mitt Gets Worse: Jennifer Chrislerby Mitt Gets Worse 7,670 views
- 19:05 Barney Frank at Harvard College Class Dayby HarvardMagazine 10,222 views
- 9:57 Daniel O'Donnell on Loose Women 18-Oct-2011by bridgetoofar2 4,029 views
- 4:22 Mitt Romney Gets Ass Handed to Him by Gay Veteran in New Hampshireby David Pakman Show 652,999 views
- 4:25 Daniel O'Donnell The Isle Of Innisfreeby Bethany Jade 15,101 views
- 0:58 Mitt Romney on Discrimination & the Boy Scouts (1994)by Mitt Gets Worse 4,087 views
- 3:02 MITT ROMNEY VS BARACK OBAMA an EPIC RAP BATTLE OF HISTORYby GeneralMusicsVideos 11,543 views
- 2:27 Mitt Gets Worse: Adam Binkby Mitt Gets Worse 4,342 views
- 1:59 Ron Paul (LIKE A BOSS): BODY SLAMS MITT ROMNEYby KonaSilat 486,736 views
- 6:43 Being Gay is a Gift from Godby YouveGotTobe KiddingMe 531,935 views
- 1:30 Mitt Romney on LGBTQ Families (2006)by Mitt Gets Worse 3,886 views
- 3:26 Daniel O' Donnell Save The Last Dance For Meby Bethany Jade 29,122 views
- 1:59 Mitt Romney Explains Why He Didn't Defend Gay Soldier (2011)by Mitt Gets Worse 6,355 views
- Loading more suggestions...