Neil deGrasse Tyson: Atheist or Agnostic?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 25, 2012
Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson claims the title "scientist" above all other "ists." And yet, he says he is "constantly claimed by atheists." So where does he stand? "Neil deGrasse, widely claimed by atheists, is actually an agnostic."
Neil deGrasse Tyson: I'm often asked -- and occasionally in an accusatory way -- "Are you atheist?" And it's like, you know, the only "ist" I am is a scientist, all right? I don't associate with movements. I'm not an "ism." I just - I think for myself. The moment when someone attaches to a philosophy or a movement, then they assign all the baggage and all the rest of the philosophy that goes with it to you, and when you want to have a conversation they will assert that they already know everything important there is to know about you because of that association. And that's not the way to have a conversation. I'm sorry. It's not. I'd rather we explore each other's ideas in real time rather than assign a label to it and assert, you know, what's going to happen in advance.
So what people are really after is, what is my stance on religion or spirituality or God? And I would say, if I find a word that came closest it would be agnostic. Agnostic -- the word dates from the 19th century -- Huxley -- to refer to someone who doesn't know but hasn't yet really seen evidence for it but is prepared to embrace the evidence if it's there but if it's not won't be forced to have to think something that is not otherwise supported.
There are many atheists who say, "Well, all agnostics are atheists." Okay. I'm constantly claimed by atheists. I find this intriguing. In fact, on my Wiki page -- I didn't create the Wiki page, others did, and I'm flattered that people cared enough about my life to assemble it -- and it said, "Neil deGrasse is an atheist." I said, "Well that's not really true." I said, "Neil deGrasse is an agnostic." I went back a week later. It said, "Neil deGrasse is an atheist." -- again within a week -- and I said, "What's up with that?" and I said, "I have to word it a little differently." So I said, okay, "Neil deGrasse, widely claimed by atheists, is actually an agnostic."
And some will say, well, that's -- "You're not being fair to the fact that they're actually the same thing." No, they're not the same thing, and I'll tell you why. Atheists I know who proudly wear the badge are active atheists. They're like in your face atheist and they want to change policies and they're having debates. I don't have the time, the interest, the energy to do any of that. I'm a scientist. I'm an educator. My goal is to get people thinking straight in the first place, just get you to be curious about the natural world. That's what I'm about. I'm not about any of the rest of this.
And it's odd that the word atheist even exists. I don't play golf. Is there a word for non-golf players? Do non-golf players gather and strategize? Do non-skiers have a word and come together and talk about the fact that they don't ski? I don't—I can't do that. I can't gather around and talk about how much everybody in the room doesn't believe in God. I just don't—I don't have the energy for that, and so I . . . Agnostic separates me from the conduct of atheists whether or not there is strong overlap between the two categories, and at the end of the day I'd rather not be any category at all.
Directed / Produced byJonathan Fowler & Elizabeth Rodd
Standard YouTube License
- 1:35 Introducing Google for Entrepreneursby Google for Entrepreneurs Featured 124,835
- 6:28 Penn Jillette: Reading the Bible (Or the Koran, Or the Torah) Will Make You an Atheistby Big Think837,857 views
- 3:03 Neil deGrasse Tyson: Science and Faithby Big Think538,475 views
- 6:02 Michio Kaku: Will Mankind Destroy Itself?by Big Think1,109,102 views
- 12:28 Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A fascinatingly disturbing thoughtby MrAbkebab Explore the Universe377,788 views
- 7:07 Henry Rollins: The One Decision that Changed My Life Foreverby Big Think625,031 views
- 2:32 Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Childrenby Big Think5,933,439 views
- 43:53 Wayne Dyer's Leukemia & John of God's healings on Wayne - LILOU'S JUICY LIVING TOURby Lilou Mace435,354 views
- 2:27 Dawkins vs. Tysonby agillesp1232,194,370 views
- 3:57 Neil deGrasse Tyson: The 3 Fears That Drive Us to Accomplish Extraordinary Thingsby Big Think142,238 views
- 1:42 Neil Degrasse Tyson makes a good pointby stevensondwwk365,396 views
- 7:06 Bill Maher kicks whiny Bill OReilly's assby willyswagonmastr1,619,517 views
- 1:53:04 Hitchens Dawkins Grayling 2007: BETTER OFF WITHOUT RELIGIONby nightjarflying225,712 views
- 11:36 Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson on UFOsby Camelot Radio409,323 views
- 7:27 Trying to Find a Fifth Dimensionby Big Think10,103 views
- 1:58 Neil deGrasse Tyson: My Man, Sir Isaac Newtonby Big Think1,981,367 views
- 1:16:37 Do You Want To Live Forever?by endexye75,123 views
- 1:34 D. Quinn Mills: What is Your Personal Philosophy?by Big Think9,585 views
- 54:12 Lawrence Krauss on Life, the Universe and Nothingby TVOBigIdeas81,455 views
- 38:00 IAMA: Penn and Teller | reddit's top ten questionsby reddit427,692 views
- Loading more suggestions...