Rolling back truancy tickets, school policing--Community Rights Campaign vs. LAMC 45.04
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 23, 2012
This is the UPDATED version--with a new ending that shows what happened when we marched to City Hall for the final vote to change the law and stop police from giving students tickets for being late or missing school! (Hint: It got reported in NPR's Morning Edition, LA Times, Washington Post.)
This is the story of our Community Rights Campaign to end truancy and tardy ticketing and to roll back school policing and the criminalization of entire Black and Latino communities: "Hey LAUSD! I'm pre-med, pre-job, NOT pre-prison!"
We organized students in LA high schools and built a 5-year campaign to end the #1 generator of school tickets in LAUSD: truancy and tardy citations under LAMC 45.04 Daytime Curfew.
Right now, we're fighting to implement the changes we won and to stop other forms of school policing and ticketing, too. It didn't end with truancy and tardy tickets. Police are still interrupting classrooms or lunch to conduct searches and issue tickets for possession of markers ("intent to vandalize") or cigarettes. When students get into a fight, instead of getting help to really resolve the a conflict and find a better way, administrators are calling in police who use force, mace and tickets, often targeting bystanders. We want support, not suppression! Counselors, not cops! Teachers, not tickets!
Our vision is a grassroots movement that gets police, tickets and courts out of our schools and transforms school culture by ending all pre-prison conditions and zero tolerance policies and by building positive learning environments with community- and school-based interventions and supports.
Get in touch with us at
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "You're The Man (Alternate Version 1)" on
- 7:48 Judges Lock-Up Kids For Cashby The Young Turks Featured 64,511
- 1:50:38 Walkoutby JOANIE190422,884 views
- 4:46 Philly Cop Racial Profiling & Stop and Frisk Exposed 'You Weaken the F*cking Country!'by Lrjtv4,042 views
- 43:22 Truancy Court 2011 Marchby CityOfDesMoinesIowa892 views
- 10:16 Why are students fighting truancy tickets, school policing? Community Rights Campaign vs LAMC 45.04by TheStrategyCenter2,144 views
- 57:57 Truancy Court Jan.by CityOfDesMoinesIowa712 views
- 11:19 Push Back Against School Pushout: Highlights from the Week of Action 2011by DignityInSchools Campaign792 views
- 15:49 Mixteco Indigena Community Organizing Project - Tequio Youth Group Video (Indigenous Student Group)by TequioYouth511 views
- 5:21 Conservative Black Chick on CNN discussing Stop-N-Frisk with Philly Police Chiefby Crystal Wright436 views
- 55:27 What Next? How Social Justice Advocacy and Campus Organizing Skills Help in the Real Worldby LEAPvideos78 views
- 4:52 Austin, Texas CHILDREN To Be TRACKED With GPS Device (Infowars)by 829speedy599 views
- 3:18 The Crop By Mark Anthony Johnsonby Gabriel's Eye Film+Photography677 views
- 1:50 Lancaster ISD: "The Skipper" LISD Police Anti-Truancy campaign videoby LANCASTERISDTV363 views
- 4:24 TRUANCY CRISIS News Story 11-08by Roland De Wolk1,415 views
- 2:38 Truant school kids get surprise trip to jailby Dean2Houston10,445 views
- 2:33 Texas Honor Student Gets Jail Time for Truancyby plasmalung9,090 views
- 1:58 El Chuchumbe by Las Cafeteras 6 11 2013by TheStrategyCenter97 views
- 8:47 Propagating Peace - Social Change Through Community Organizingby Nathan Black757 views
- 1:51 BEING BLACK IN PHILLY: Stop and Frisk Editionby Norm Bond2,601 views
- 9:45 Students don't shed their rights at the schoolhouse gateby ACLUFL6,725 views
- Loading more suggestions...