Powering Progress: Smart Infrastructure and The Future of Cities: Massoud Amin at TEDxUMN
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 17, 2012
Massoud Amin witnessed the 1977 NYC blackout, the 9/11 tragedies near DC, and the collapse of the I-35W bridge. He works on enabling smart, secure and resilient infrastructures. He leads extensive projects in smart grids and is considered the "father of smart grid." He holds the Honeywell/H.W. Sweatt Chair in Technological Leadership at the University of Minnesota, directs the university's Technological Leadership Institute (TLI), is a University Distinguished Teaching Professor and professor of electrical and computer engineering. Before joining the university in 2003, he held positions of increasing responsibility at the Electric Power Research Institute in Palo Alto. After 9/11, he directed all Infrastructure Security R&D and led Grid Operations/Planning and Energy Markets. Prior to that, he served as head of mathematics and information sciences and led the development of more than 24 technologies that transferred to industry, and twice received the Institute's highest honor.
-- For further information on Dr. Amin's work on smart grids and security, please see: http://umn.edu/~amin, including his 1998 presentation on his vision for smart self-healing grids: http://central.tli.umn.edu/amin/Selec...
-- Government Technology Magazine interviewed Dr. Amin on smart grids - part 1 on "Envisioning the Smart Grid": http://tli.umn.edu/index.php?id=719
- part 2 on "10 Big Questions About the Smart Grid": http://www.govtech.com/transportation...
-- For the IEEE Smart Grid Newsletter which Dr. Amin chairs and to sign up for free, please visit: http://smartgrid.ieee.org/publication...
The individuals involved with TEDxUMN have a passion for bringing together the great thinkers at the University of Minnesota and giving them the opportunity to share their ideas worth spreading and to discuss our shared future. We provide these great people the opportunity to share these ideas on a global stage and with an incredibly diverse audience. We believe in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and ultimately the world.
Check out TEDxUMN at http://www.TEDxUMN.com/
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
Standard YouTube License
- 25:25 Urban Design for Successful Cities: Alexandros Washburn at TEDxEQChChby TEDxTalks5,272 views
- 22:11 Water and the Future of the City: Cary Lowe at TEDxAmericasFinestCityby TEDxTalks712 views
- 13:54 TEDxWaterloo - Shawn Qu - Future of Solar Energyby TEDxTalks4,085 views
- 18:11 Forget what you know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks2,343,503 views
- 14:00 What day of the week is someday?: Todd Reubold at TEDxUMNby TEDxTalks1,017 views
- 9:30 The Power of Integrative Leadership: Jodi Sandfort at TEDxUMNby TEDxTalks794 views
- 14:52 TEDxGrandRapids- Carol Coletta - Innovate: Your Cityby TEDxTalks1,632 views
- 13:05 Water Quality and Future Generations: Deb Swackhamer at TEDxUMNby TEDxTalks974 views
- 12:28 Industrial economy infrastructure, innovation economy future: Josh Broder at TEDxDirigoby TEDxTalks1,299 views
- 17:39 Computer Theory & Genetics: George Chao at TEDxUMNSalonby TEDxTalks503 views
- 5:40 Spoken Word Poet: Cynthia Lankford at TEDxHuntsvilleby TEDxTalks982 views
- 12:21 The Cultural Potential of Vacant Storefronts: Ben Shardlow at TEDxUMNby TEDxTalks438 views
- 5:13 Engineering a better world - the technology of repairing the future: Jason Drew at TEDxTableMountainby TEDxTalks1,200 views
- 15:44 The Soudan Iron Mine and Discovering "Alien" Microbes: Jeff Gralnick at TEDxUMNby TEDxTalks557 views
- 8:56 Volume Knob: Slam Nuba at TEDxMileHighby TEDxTalks2,063 views
- 16:24 TEDxScottsdale - Darren Petrucci - Amenity Infrastructureby TEDxTalks689 views
- 12:43 Why Power Grids Fail in Spectacular Ways, and What to Do About It: Paul Hines at TEDxUVM 2012by TEDxTalks229 views
- 11:38 Smarter Stories for Better Cities: Rick Robinson at TEDxWarwick 2013by TEDxTalks1,159 views
- 20:05 The Story of One Days Wages: Eugene Cho at TEDxUofWby TEDxTalks335 views
- 10:37 The Future of Energy Grids: Pedro Marín at TEDxEdgesby TEDxTalks547 views