Published on Mar 23, 2014
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons butter (diced)
2 tsp salt
2 whole eggs 3 egg whites. (save one yolk for brushing dough)
1. In a mixer add 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of yeast, tablespoon of sugar. Using a whisk attachment, mix for 1 minute.
2. In pot mix 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tablespoons of diced butter until lukewarm and 110F. This will happen pretty fast, even before the butter completely melt.
3. Add milk mixture into flour mixture, mix in mixer using dough attachment. Mix for one minute. (Before pouring in milk mixture make sure its lukewarm, if it is hot, this will kill the yeast) Cover mixture and let it rest for 10 minutes
4. Slowly pour in the rest of the flour (remaining is 2 cups) as your dough hook mixes slowly in 1/2 a cup increments of flour on speed 1.
5. In with your last addition of the flour add 2 teaspoon of salt. Mix for 5 minutes on medium high speed. (Make sure you mixer doesn't fly off the counter top)
6. Cover and let it rest for 1 hour and 10 minutes or double in size.
7. Divide your dough into three strands, make a braid. Like, a regular three strand hair braid. Pinch the top and ends, tucking them under. Bake 400F 30 minutes.
Standard YouTube License