Uploaded on May 3, 2010
My iPad mounted in kitchen cabinet. Additional info at http://www.technolog.ie
READ DESCRIPTION FOR ANSWERS TO COMMON QUESTIONS BY COMMENTERS
Sound is output to aux input [UPDATED - NOW VIA AIRPLAY] of mini stereo (until I replace that with powered speakers).
The iPad is easily removeable (without unscrewing [See 3.40 on video] ) - the wooden slat holding it in place is just tight enough to hold it snug. No power supply fitted yet (because battery power very good) but that is coming soon - just need to get the dremel out again. [UPDATE: I have since glued some felt to the back of the cabinet door and back of the wooden slat to prevent scratches.]
Some people have commented about the hole left in the cabinet when I remove the iPad, I have an 8x10 photo (NOT of an iPad!) glued to a piece of wood that slots into the holder on the back of the cabinet door.
I bought a replacement door (which happened to be on sale) before cutting the original, in case it all went pear shaped (no pun intended!), so at any time I can abandon the idea and restore the kitchen back to the way it was.
Future developments UPDATED 022011:
- Install power source for iPad. [UPDATE Done]
- Use Apple remote App on the iPad to stream all my music from iMac to stereo via Airport express (when Apple get around to updating their Remote App to work in landscape mode!) [UPDATE: Apple have updated the Remote App so that it works in landscape mode. Airplay has allowed me to remove the headphone lead shown in this video - the kitchen stereo is now plugged into an Airport Express unit - allowing the output from the iPad OR the output from Mac or Apple TV (controlled via the Remote App) to be played through the kitchen stereo speakers - or through a separate pair of speakers connected to my 1st gen Apple TV in another room (See Remote HD App to enable 1st gen Apple TV to function as an Airplay device.)]
- Radio streaming [UPDATE: Now possible using WunderRadio App and AirPlay - stream radio stations from all over the world through the kitchen stereo.]
- EyeTv for live TV. [UPDATED not yet...]
Coverflow for browsing music would be nice - a curious omission from Apple.
Bluetooth headset for Skype calls. [UPDATED Now possible.]
- Self powered speakers to bypass stereo altogether; a commenter suggested ceiling speakers - nice! [UPDATE Still hoping...]
Standard YouTube License