Ideas at the House: Panel - The War on Whistleblowers and Their Publishers
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 16, 2013
US Journalist and activist Alexa O'Brien and Australian commentator Robert Manne are joined by video conference with Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, Guardian Journalist Glenn Greenwald and Chelsea Manning's Lawyer David Coombs on stage at the Sydney Opera House (moderated by Bernard Keane of Crikey).
Powerful governments are waging a war on whistleblowers and those involved in publishing their material. Edward Snowden has been granted temporary asylum in Russia, Manning has been convicted of espionage and is awaiting sentencing, and Julian Assange has been granted asylum by Ecuador but cannot step outside its London Embassy. It's clear that the actions of whistleblowers and their publishers - 'traitors' as they are known to some - have come at a significant personal cost, and while the human drama of these stories is engrossing, the focus should be on the very real issues they've raised: surveillance, press freedom, privacy, secrecy, and accountability.
The roles of governments and corporations in the future of the internet, and their use and abuse of data, have been put under the global spotlight. In the wake of Manning, Snowden and Wikileaks, we finally have the scope to properly debate the need for government transparency and the trade-off between privacy and security.
Watch our expert panel discuss the implications of the war on whistleblowers for the main actors, and the consequences if that war is lost for the rest of us.
Subscribe and find more videos from Ideas at the House: http://www.youtube.com/ideasatthehouse
Get a new talk every week on our podcast:
Audio - https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/s...
Video - https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/s...
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/IdeasAtTheHouse
Twitter - https://twitter.com/ideasatthehouse
Standard YouTube License
- 3:59 Juventa - Move Into Light (Ft. Erica Curran) (Koven Remix) (Music Video)by UKF Dubstep Featured 382,223
- 1:16:13 Ideas at the House: Michael Pollan - How To Eatby Ideas At The House2,539 views
- 59:00 Festival of Dangerous Ideas 2013: Lawrence Krauss & Peter Rollins - New Religions vs. New Atheismby Ideas At The House30,255 views
- 0:50 Ideas at the House: Tavi Gevinson - "Purely A Set Of Eyes"by Ideas At The House584 views
- 4:36 Ideas at the House: Sam Harris - The Lack Of Free Will In Simple Decisionsby Ideas At The House717 views
- 2:06:01 What They Don't Teach You in History Class 101 (FULL) - Hakim Beyby brooklynmagi50,348 views
- 1:03:35 WhistleBlower Head of FBI tells all from NWOby gkossatzgmxde99,655 views
- 1:39:06 Critical Social Inquiry Lecture - Glenn Greenwald Lecture on Hampshire Collegeby 180Powershift2,057 views
- 14:59 8/9/13 NASA WHISTLEBLOWER SAYS BILLIONS OF PEOPLE ABOUT TO DIE - ASTEROIDby secureteam10698,951 views
- 33:24 Whistle BLOWER- Secret Plot to NUKE parts of the USA Exposed!by John Doe73,332 views
- 9:18 Glenn Greenwald Schools Government Prestitutes AGAIN!by MOXNEWSd0tC0M17,235 views
- 1:29:32 Scahill - Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Armyby pdxjustice26,228 views
- 2:27 The Zionist Jew Bill Maher gets owned by Glenn Greenwald over religion and US interventionby DMT81,401 views
- 45:58 National Geographic - Monster Black Holesby The Movie Club258,908 views
- 13:12 Julian Assange on Bill Maherby kingflurkel162,997 views
- 1:16:20 CIA Whistleblower: Obama's Plans To Destroy US And Seize Power; 70 Agency DHS To Enforce Martial Lawby Bobby Powell93,892 views
- 21:09 Glenn Greenwald "JOURNALISM IS NOT A CRIME AND IT'S NOT TERRORISM!"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M17,852 views
- 1:23:25 It Turns Out Comet Ison is Planet X NIBIRU !!! MOST HUMAN LIFE WILL NOT EXIST After January 2014 ⌚⌚⌚by CourageousNerd z632,048 views
- 1:09:51 Noam Chomsky Glenn Greenwald with Liberty and Justice For Someby TheEthanwashere34,081 views
- 9:40 Wikileaks - Can We Trust The Media? Julian Assange (26th July 2013)by TheMediaCorruption24,322 views
- Loading more suggestions...