Bus 52 Presents: Helping With Horsepower
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 6, 2012
Working on old and broken motorcycles is not something that usually comes to mind when you think of therapy for young girls. In Mitchell, South Dakota, however, that is exactly what Laura Klock has introduced for residents of Abbott House in the form of Helping with Horsepower.
Abbott House's Executive Director, Eric Klooz, describes the centre as "a sanctuary for girls in South Dakota from the ages of 7 to 17 and primarily, they come here to work on issues and things that have happened in the past that are really probably at present time controlling them and their behaviour."
For these young girls, they are having to deal with daily challenges with their self-esteem and happiness due to events in their lives far beyond their control. Klooz explains that, "they generally will be displaying things like anger or depression" and Abbott House is there to help them deal with exactly those difficulties.
After being approached with a request for sponsorship by Abbott House, Laura Klock, co-founder of Helping with Horsepower, was unable to divert cash from her growing motorcycle shop to help. She desperately wanted to help, however, so she decided to volunteer her time instead.
This initial offer of time soon turned into what is now a nonprofit that helps the girls of Abbott House, as well as raising money for the centre. Klock describes Helping with Horsepower as a nonprofit that "develops programs that empower and encourage, and we help charities raise funds."
The uniqueness of Helping with Horsepower is found in the way they help empower the girls of Abbott House. Klock explains that The Bike Rebuild Program is "a curriculum that I wrote that uses a motorcycle as a tool to teach life messages."
Already in its second year, the Bike Rebuild Program takes an old, uncared for, and broken motorcycle and gives the girls the responsibility of fixing it. Klock takes them through the different steps and always makes sure to relate the lessons they learn about fixing the bike back to their lives.
Read more... http://bus52.com/profiles/helping-wit...
Standard YouTube License
- 4:31 Bus 52 Presents: Full Cycleby Bus52videos955 views
- 4:06 Bus 52 Presents: Helping Hands Surgical Careby Bus52videos207 views
- 4:51 Bus 52 Presents: Leonardo's Basementby Bus52videos756 views
- 5:09 Bus 52 Presents: Jamie's Dream Teamby Bus52videos1,127 views
- 11:11 Andy Sills - In The Momentby Bonneville Stories1,232 views
- 2:47 Klock Werks FLARE Windshieldby klockwerks121,603 views
- 7:23 Scooter Grubb Shoots Motorcyclesby Bonneville Stories1,574 views
- 5:29 Klock Werks Hugger Series Fenders On 19" Front Wheel.by klockwerks15,829 views
- 4:45 Mother and daughters set speed records at Bonnevilleby American Motorcyclist Association6,708 views
- 4:39 Laura Klock's Any Road Presentationby klockwerks11,858 views
- 3:37 Paul Ryan debates Debbie Wasserman Schultz on Social Security Reformby BigCitizen1776103,847 views
- 4:05 Brian and Laura Klock at the New York IMS Eventby klockwerks1628 views
- 2:57 Klock Werks @ Bonneville 2009by klockwerks14,267 views
- 6:11 Bus Driver Uppercuts Female Passenger (Video)by The Young Turks5,478,830 views
- 45:14 Nerd³ Plays... OMSI - The Bus Simulatorby OfficialNerdCubed2,744,885 views
- 5:13 Bus 52 Presents: Art Feedsby Bus52videos919 views
- 4:02 Bus 52 Presents: The Free Photo Projectby Bus52videos880 views
- 4:24 Bus 52 Presents: Healing with Horsesby Bus52videos571 views
- 4:53 Bus 52 Presents: Farm Rescueby Bus52videos1,397 views
- 4:24 Bus 52 Presents: Empowering Latinosby Bus52videos1,154 views
- Loading more suggestions...