Published on Oct 18, 2012
http://mountaincreekchurchofchrist.org "Withdrawing Fellowship" is a sermon that follows a sermon from the previous week about the "Spiritual Discipline of Fellowship." "Withdrawing Fellowship" focuses on the different passages of scripture that teach Christians to turn away from disciples who in certain circumstances. The focus of the withdrawal is to turn the wayward disciple back to a full commitment to God and his word, with an accompanying principle of protecting the Church from sin, division, and rebellion.
Last week talked about discipline of fellowship
Supposed to be powerful, important part of every disciple
Losing that fellowship should cause great sorrow
Very specific reasons given to withdraw fellowship
I. Those Who Hurt Another and Refuses to Repent
A. Matt 18:15-17
1. If he doesn't care about church, he has no place in it
2. Focus is on restoring brother
B. No social relationship
1. Gentile and tax collector -- wouldn't eat w/ them
II. Those Who Persist in Immorality
A. 1 Cor 5:1-7
1. Must take sin seriously -- can't overlook it
2. Tolerating it removes discouragement
a. Increases likelihood of soul being lost
3. 1 Cor 5:11-13
a. Focus is on disciples, not world
B. Withdrawal worked
1. 2 Cor 2:6-8 Sufficient for such a one is this punishment which was inflicted by the majority, 7 so that on the contrary you should rather forgive and comfort him, otherwise such a one might be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. 8 Wherefore I urge you to reaffirm your love for him.
2. Powerful statement of importance of felloship
III. Those Who Refuse to Follow the Word
A. Those Who Cause Dissensions and Hindrances
1. Rom 16:17 Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them.
a. KJV "divisions and offences"
b. Dissensions -- a standing apart
c. Dividing into camps
2. God repeatedly emphasizes unity
a. Strong action required against threats
B. Those Who Blaspheme
1. 1 Tim 1:19-20 keeping faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and suffered shipwreck in regard to their faith. 20 Among these are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan, so that they will be taught not to blaspheme.
a. Blaspheme: speak evil of, rail against, speak contemptuously of
b. Toward God or sacred things
2. Likely example -- same Hymenaeus
a. 2 Tim 2:17-18 Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18 men who have gone astray from the truth saying that the resurrection has already taken place, and they upset the faith of some.
3. 2 John 9-11
IV. The Unruly and Rebellious
A. 2 Thess 3:6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from every brother who leads an unruly life and not according to the tradition which you received from us.
1. Disorderly -- like soldiers not keeping rank
2. Refusing to work, be in their place
3. Paul set standard of work and commitment
B. 2 Thess 3:14-15 If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of that person and do not associate with him, so that he will be put to shame. 15 Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.
1. Focus is on turning wayward back to Christ
Standard YouTube License