What is Libor and why should we care?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 2, 2012
http://www.euronews.com/ Libor - the London Interbank Offered Rate - is the average cost of borrowing at which Britain's banks lend each other money.
It is calculated daily, based on information supplied by those banks and is used worldwide as a benchmark for prices on trillions fo euros worth of derivatives and other financial products.
After the financial crisis, the Libor rate also was seen as a guide to the health of bank's balance sheets.
Barclays manipulation alone could not have had a big effect on the final rate, but the suggestion is a lot of the big banks were doing the same thing.
And the Libor rate has an effect on the real economy as Tony Greenham, Head of Finance and Business at the New Economics Foundation, explained: "That average is what drives the interest rates paid by hundreds of millions of people on their own mortgages, small business on their loans, student loans, insurance products. It affects a hugely diverse range of financial transactions globally, not just in the UK."
Britain's central bank, the Bank of England, is trying to avoid being dragged into this scandal. It has denied it knew about Libor manipulation and was allowing it to happen.
"It is nonsense to suggest that the Bank of England was aware of any impropriety in the setting of Libor," a BoE spokesman said. "If we had been aware of attempts to manipulate Libor we would have treated them very seriously."
Barclays said it submitted artificially low estimates of its borrowing costs because it thought rivals were doing the same, and higher submissions would make it appear to be in trouble.
Barclays is the first bank to settle in an investigation which is looking at more than a dozen other banks, including Citigroup, HSBC, UBS and RBS.
HSBC said that as a bank that contributes to setting the Libor interest rate it was providing information to authorities, but the Financial Services Authority said it was not investigating HSBC.
Find us on:
Standard YouTube License
- 1:03 ECB tells Athens don't hope for bailout revampby euronews (in English)598 views
- 0:26 Fiat's Iveco to close five European plantsby euronews (in English)1,060 views
- 0:31 Libor scandal probes spreadby euronews (in English)1,076 views
- 3:43 euronews cinema - Mirren helps the curtain up at Karlovy Varyby euronews (in English)386 views
- 28:04 Jim Rogers, War and the Financial Mafia - LIBOR, Centrals Banks and JP Morgan!by CapitalAccount47,399 views
- 5:52 How Barclays manipulated the libor ratesby Al Jazeera English16,922 views
- 25:55 Inside Story - Rigged bank rates: Is there more to come?by Al Jazeera English55,302 views
- 22:21 Interview with Gerald Celente of the Trends Journal: A War with Iran Will be the Beginning of WW IIIby Greg Hunter55,890 views
- 25:55 Inside Story - Rigged bank rates: Is there more to come? - Hot Latest Newsby HotLatestNews23,435 views
- 25:45 Keiser Report: Big guy 'scandals' vs small fry 'crimes' (E309)by RT40,046 views
- 11:28 The LIBOR scandal: what it means for you - MoneyWeek Investment Tutorialsby MoneyWeekVideos14,867 views
- 10:44 The Emerging LIBOR Scandalby The Big Picture RT13,725 views
- 9:53 What is the LIBOR / OIS spread? - MoneyWeek investment tutorialsby MoneyWeekVideos8,772 views
- 22:18 Matt Taibbi explains illegal LIBOR fixing by the banksters at #NATGATby Jason Chan7,380 views
- 3:17 Kucinich Explains "LIBOR"by DJKucinich16,097 views
- 7:04 How The LIBOR Scandal Affects Youby The Young Turks30,277 views
- 2:38 How Tom Cruise stole LIBOR scandalby RT18,373 views
- 8:22 BANKSTERS & Fraud, The LIBOR Scandalby Fabian4Liberty8,637 views
- 9:10 LIBOR—A Tutorialby RameshDeonaraine14,825 views
- 5:01 Strait Answer: Iran prepares to close Hormuzby RT55,291 views
- Loading more suggestions...