DOJ Official Refuses to Affirm 1st Amendment Rights In House Hearing - 7/27/12
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 27, 2012
DoJ official refuses to denounce demands for Saudi-style blasphemy law
Barack Obama's top civil rights official repeatedly declined to support religious free speech during a July 27 congressional hearing, despite repeated questioning from Arizona Republican Rep. Trent Franks, who chairs the House's constitution subcommittee.
Tom Perez, the progressive who runs the Justice Department's civil rights office, refused to answer the questions posed by Franks.
"Will you tell us... that this administration's Department of Justice will never entertain or advance a proposal that criminalizes speech against any religion?" Frank asked four times.
Perez refused to answer, saying "it is a hard question, in the sense that when you make threats against someone." Perez then suggested he would respond to draft legislation from the committee, but again refused to answer Frank's question about free speech rights.
Franks' questions were prompted by an October 2011 Daily Caller report, which described a D.C. meeting between Perez and hardcore Islamists, including Mohamed Magid, the Sudan-born, Saudi-trained head of the Islamic Society of North America.
At the end of the public meeting, Perez complimented the Islamists, even though he had watched while Magid called for legal punishment of people who criticize Islamic calls for violence against non-Muslims and subordination of women to men.
In 2009 a federal judge approved the FBI's decision to describe the society as an co-conspirator of a group that was convicted of smuggling money to Hamas, the Muslim Brotherhood' affiliate in Palestine. Hamas has repeatedly funded, supported and endorsed attacks on Jews.
During the meeting, Perez also complimented the Islamists for lobbying against airline security measures.
Perez also listened while another Islamist called for the Justice Department to redefine religious free speech as illegal discrimination.
The department's "civil rights lawyers are top of the line — I say this with utter honesty — I know they can come up with a way" to redefine criticism as discrimination, said Sahar Aziz, a female Egyptian-American lawyer who spoke at the event.
"I'd be willing to give a shot at it," said Aziz, who spoke for the Institute for Social Policy & Understanding, a Michigan-based advocacy group.
"We must continue to have the open and honest and critical dialogue that you saw in the robust debate," Perez said just a few minutes after Aziz made her demand for Saudi-style blasphemy laws.
As the meeting session ended, Perez — a Maryland resident, and a former staffer to Sen. Ted Kennedy — climbed the stage to embrace Magid.
When the event was over, Perez refused to answer questions from The Daily Caller.
Dwight Holton, another Justice Department official who spoke at the event, also refused to answer questions from TheDC. Holton even threatened to charge TheDC's reporter with a crime for following him while asking questions.
Perez's welcome mat for the Islamists may be part of an administration-wide effort to cultivate 2012 election support among Muslim lobbies, such as Magid's ISNA.
Most of the immigrants' lobby groups are Islamist, partly because few non-religious Muslim immigrants participate in Islamic advocacy.
Perez, who worked as a ethnic lobbyist and amnesty supporter in Maryland, is one of President Barack Obama's most aggressive advocates.
For example, during a October meeting in Alabama intended to rally opponents to the state's successful enforcement of immigration laws, Perez suggested that Alabama residents score lower on education tests than poorly educated immigrants from Mexico and other Latin American countries.
"State school performance may decline," he said, because "some of the [illegal immigrant] kids who are leaving [the state] are some of the highest performing kids," he told reporters.
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/27/doj...
Standard YouTube License
- 12:42 Citizen Journalism And The Fight To Preserve the 1st Amendmentby HONORYOUROATH Featured 24,568
- 54:31 SANDY HOOK HOAX "Debunk This Video" Sandy Hook Lies - CONSPIRACYby veritas4d448,969 views
- 5:11 WOW! South Carolina Trey Gowdy eviscerates Eric Holder and DOJ that Voter ID is not Racistby newsninja201267,621 views
- 16:15 Alex Jones on gay rituals of Bohemian Groveby RT America252,090 views
- 5:20 LAPD Violates First Amendment Rightsby John Smith5,861 views
- 1:54:12 Operation Fast And Furious: The Other Side Of The Border (Part 1 of 3)by HouseResourceOrg14,952 views
- 26:24 Glenn Beck GBTV w/ Deneen Borelli & Rev C.L. Bryant Her Book "Blacklash" His Movie "Run Away Slave"by GlennBeckBookList11,839 views
- 15:26 Ann Barnhardt: "Islamic Sexuality [A Survey of Evil]" Part 1 of 4 (MIRROR)by ThLuckyOne16,162 views
- 14:05 Trump: Media Protecting Obama; Birth Certificate; Tony Rezko & Bill Ayers - 4/15/11by BirtherReportDotCom8,578 views
- 15:00 Glenn Beck Clashes With Creator of Crucified Obama Painting Over First Amendment Hypocrisyby ThePrincessHira3,646 views
- 8:28 Secret DOJ Filing states most employer based health plans will lose grandfather status by 2013by LSUDVM1,536 views
- 13:40 Sheriff Joe On Obama's Fraudulent Documents: We Have Smoke And Fireby 68Truthseeker17,173 views
- 10:21 What a Billion Muslims Truly Thinkby J. Mark Campbell122,516 views
- 20:10 Anonymous - Hackers World [HD]by Youcef Aufpassen2,397,760 views
- 8:02 Reverend Billy arrested by NYPD for reciting First Amendmentby glassbeadian38,709 views
- 5:49 How Stupid Americans Really Are!by sparkscarz1,868,315 views
- 5:43 The Evidence Is In! America Is Under Foreign Control! Evidence, Analysis and a Challenge!by ppsimmons26,071 views
- 11:34 BIGGEST Liberal Caller of 2011 to Call Conservative Talk Radio- Michael Savage!!!!by DailyMichaelSavage19,618 views
- 9:11 Barack Obama makes some brilliant statements about religionby kurtilein362,886 views
- 5:12 Congressman Farenthold Presses DOJ Officials on NSA Phone Spying in House Judiciary Hearingby BlakeFarenthold5,362 views
- Loading more suggestions...