Authors@Google: Eric Klinenberg | "Going Solo..."
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 4, 2012
"Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone"
In 1950, only 22 percent of American adults were single. Today, more than 50 percent of American adults are single, and 31 million—roughly one out of every seven adults—live alone. People who live alone make up 28 percent of all U.S. households, which makes them more common than any other domestic unit, including the nuclear family. In GOING SOLO, renowned sociologist and author Eric Klinenberg proves that these numbers are more than just a passing trend. They are, in fact, evidence of the biggest demographic shift since the Baby Boom: we are learning to go solo, and crafting new ways of living in the process.
Klinenberg explores the dramatic rise of solo living, and examines the seismic impact it's having on our culture, business, and politics. Though conventional wisdom tells us that living by oneself leads to loneliness and isolation, Klinenberg shows that most solo dwellers are deeply engaged in social and civic life. In fact, compared with their married counterparts, they are more likely to eat out and exercise, go to art and music classes, attend public events and lectures, and volunteer. There's even evidence that people who live alone enjoy better mental health than unmarried people who live with others and have more environmentally sustainable lifestyles than families, since they favor urban apartments over large suburban homes. Drawing on over three hundred in-depth interviews with men and women of all ages and every class, Klinenberg reaches a startling conclusion: in a world of ubiquitous media and hyperconnectivity, this way of life can help us discover ourselves and appreciate the pleasure of good company.
Eric Klinenberg is Professor of Sociology, Public Policy, and Media, Culture, and Communications at New York University, and editor of the journal Public Culture.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:12:38 Authors@Google: Neil deGrasse Tysonby Talks at Google248,806 views
- 42:00 Junot Diaz: "This is How You Lose Her", Authors at Googleby Talks at Google17,471 views
- 1:03:31 Authors@Google: Ozzie Zehner - Green Illusionsby Talks at Google4,137 views
- 1:01:49 Authors@Google: George R.R. Martinby Talks at Google409,691 views
- 1:40:22 Vegetarianism in the Age of Global Consciousnessby philoctetesctr3,142 views
- 1:02:23 Eric Klinenberg: Going Soloby Chicago Humanities Festival1,440 views
- 2:12:03 (Official Movie) THRIVE: What On Earth Will It Take?by THRIVE Movement6,727,086 views
- 1:15:04 Douglas Rushkoff on Present Shock: When Everything Happens Nowby BerkmanCenter4,363 views
- 6:23 Peter Schiff on CNN Auto Bailout Intense Debate! part 1/2by ttj177655,400 views
- 43:35 Authors@Google: D.T. Max, Every Love Story Is a Ghost Storyby Talks at Google3,067 views
- 54:03 Authors@Google: Kelly McGonigalby Talks at Google93,024 views
- 45:00 Authors@Google: Joel Steinby Talks at Google2,743 views
- 2:24 Eric Klinenberg on his book "Going Solo"by ratemybookscom557 views
- 57:36 Peter Singer: Authors at Googleby Talks at Google7,366 views
- 1:00:33 Authors@Google: Joseph Stiglitzby Talks at Google11,140 views
- 1:16:03 Authors@Google: Sam Harrisby Talks at Google83,075 views
- 37:32 Chefs@Google: Marcus Samuelsson | "Yes, Chef"by Talks at Google4,647 views
- 58:10 Authors@Google: Neal Stephensonby Talks at Google42,813 views
- 14:58 Gary Vaynerchuk Keynote at Social Boom 2012 [PART 1 of 4] Event Hosted by Kim Garstby Blake Jamieson2,055 views
- 1:04:48 Authors@Google: Penn Jilletteby Talks at Google56,539 views
- Loading more suggestions...