Hundreds of Thousands of Canadians Call for Urgent Action on Climate Change
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 8, 2009
OTTAWA - On the opening day of the Copenhagen Climate Summit, three prominent Canadians from organizations supporting the KYOTOplus petition campaign spoke at a press conference on behalf of the 152,843 Canadians that have signed the petition and 120 organizations calling for a sustainable Canada. The press conference took place on the same day as the presentation of the KYOTOplus petitions in Copenhagen as part of the over 10 million petition signatures from the Tck Tck Tck campaign being delivered to United Nations representatives.
"Canadians are sending a clear message to the Harper government - we want climate action, we want to be part of the solution," said Maude Barlow, National Chairperson for the Council of Canadians. "This government, stuck in the tar sands, is not listening - this must change.
At previous climate summits, the Harper government has demonstrated an unwillingness to negotiate, instead insisting elements of previous agreements be rewritten. Canada was the only country to back away from its Kyoto commitments, allowing its greenhouse gas emissions to rise by 26 per cent instead of working to cut emissions by the promised six per cent.
"Let's make no mistake: our pollution is destroying the lives and livelihoods of the world's most vulnerable people, said Robert Fox, Executive Director of Oxfam Canada. "We see the ravages of climate change every day in Africa, Asia and Latin America, where the people who have done the least to create this problem are hit first and hardest by droughts and by erratic and violent weather. Canada must pay its fair share for the damage already done."
KYOTOplus calls on the Canadian government to set a national target to cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 25 per cent from 1990 levels by 2020 and to implement an effective national plan to reach this target. The petition also calls for Canada to help developing countries to reduce their emissions and adapt to climate change.
"KYOTOplus demonstrates that Canadians want real action on global warming, not hollow promises and communications strategies," said John Bennett, Executive Director of the Sierra Club Canada. "We will be watching the actions of our government in Copenhagen."
Standard YouTube License
- 1:29:41 It's Too Late To Stop Climate Change, WE ARE DEAD, Guy McPherson 18Nov2013by Vincent Eastwood2,171 views
- 50:19 John Sterman on Climate Change and Politicsby The Foundation Party307 views
- 6:52 Climate Justice in Copenhagen: part 1by CouncilofCanadians220 views
- 38:03 Climate Change and Fukushima - Radio Ecoshock Paints the Big Pictureby peakmoment1,793 views
- 2:05 People's Assemblies on Climate Justiceby CouncilofCanadians467 views
- 5:25 Climate Justice in Copenhagen: part 2by CouncilofCanadians85 views
- 0:30 CYCC march for climate justiceby CouncilofCanadians94 views
- 5:27 URGENT - Martail Law Police Chiefs Across America Resigningby 2setufree14,861 views
- 3:31 Salat Ayaatby Zahrajnobiye306 views
- 6:13 Uncommon Knowledge - Peter Robinson Interviews Czech President Vaclav Klausby UKHoover6,919 views
- 2:50 Glimate Gate And Now 'Danish text' leakby hellfire6951,363 views
- 8:46 The Unavoidable Identity of the Antichrist by David Asscherick (part 1) ORIGINAL!!by Ceryn Li312 views
- 10:48 Cutting Canada's federal public serviceby taxpayerDOTcom760 views
- 3:00 Chemtrails. Revealed in MSM ! URGENT. Slideshow is up also.by phnixlady1,502 views
- 10:38 Power and Politics Feb 1, 2010 Canada's Emission targetsby EnviroNB84 views
- 5:29 Climate Change | Greenhouse Gases | How does the emission trading scheme work?by EuropeanTelevision128,062 views
- 3:50 Taking Action on Climate Changeby greentvgreentv1,721 views
- 5:34 Robert Foxby dfaitmaeci3,242 views
- 1:35:25 A New Synthesis of Public Administration: serving in the 21st centuryby lsewebsite6,259 views
- 1:15:57 El Gran Fraude del Calentamiento Global (Doblado al Español y con Subtítulos en partes Censuradas)by xxxxxxJPxxxxxx422,598 views
- Loading more suggestions...