Talking Union - Pete Seeger
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 25, 2011
by Millard Lampell, Lee Hays and Pete Seeger, 1941
The Almanac Singers, Woodie Guthrie, Lee Hays, Millard Lampell and Pete Seeger
Now, if you want higher wages let me tell you what to do
You got to talk to the workers in the shop with you.
You got to build you a union, got to make it strong,
But if you all stick together, boys, it won't be long.
You get shorter hours, better working conditions,
Vacations with pay. Take your kids to the seashore.
It ain't quite this simple, so I better explain
Just why you got to ride on the union train.
'Cause if you wait for the boss to raise your pay,
We'll all be a-waitin' 'til Judgment Day.
We'll all be buried, gone to heaven,
St. Peter'll be the straw boss then.
Now you know you're underpaid but the boss says you ain't;
He speeds up the work 'til you're 'bout to faint.
You may be down and out, but you ain't beaten,
You can pass out a leaflet and call a meetin'.
Talk it over, speak your mind,
Decide to do somethin' about it.
Course, the boss may persuade some poor damn fool
To go to your meetin' and act like a stool.
But you can always tell a stool, though, that's a fact,
He's got a yaller streak a-runnin' down his back.
He doesn't have to stool, he'll always get along
On what he takes out of blind men's cups.
You got a union now, and you're sittin' pretty,
Put some of the boys on the steering committee.
The boss won't listen when one guy squawks,
But he's got to listen when the union talks.
He'd better, be mighty lonely
Everybody decide to walk out on him.
Suppose they're working you so hard it's just outrageous
And they're paying you all starvation wages.
You go to the boss and the boss would yell,
"Before I raise your pay I'd see you all in hell."
Well, he's puffing a big seegar, feeling mighty slick
'Cause he thinks he's got your union licked.
Well, he looks out the window and what does he see
But a thousand pickets, and they all agree:
He's a bastard, unfair, slavedriver,
Bet he beats his wife!
Now, boys, you've come to the hardest time.
The boss will try to bust your picket line.
He'll call out the police, the National Guard,
They'll tell you it's a crime to have a union card.
They'll raid your meetin', they'll hit you on the head,
They'll call every one of you a goddam red,
Unpatriotic, Japanese spies, sabotaging national defense!
But out at Ford, here's what they found,
And out at Vultee, here's what they found,
And out at Allis-Chalmers, here's what they found,
And down at Bethlehem, here's what they found:
That if you don't let red-baiting break you up,
And if you don't let stoolpigeons break you up,
And if you don't let vigilantes break you up,
And if you don't let race hatred break you up,
You'll win. What I mean, take it easy, but take it!
Standard YouTube License
- 5:08 Pete Seeger & Donovan - Coloursby janhammer39Featured 8,414
- 2:48 PETE SEEGER - Which Side Are You On? (lyrics included)by Nick Ziggy 15,267 views
- 3:42 Happy Birthday PETE SEEGER @ Occupy Columbus Circle #OWS People's Mic "The River Flows" 10/22/11by Sandi Bachom 6,165 views
- 3:26 Pete Seeger - Keep Your Eyes on the Prizeby Yuval Drier Shilo 5,672 views
- 8:24 Pete Seeger on "The Johnny Cash Show" complete and uncutby abargle 169,705 views
- 23 videos Play all Left Songsby FirmW2
- 4:30 Pete Seeger - Garbageby Joe Stead 43,295 views
- 3:45 Pete Seeger - Garden Song (Inch by inch)by Joe Stead 144,870 views
- 3:11 I Don't Want Your Millions, Mister ( Almanac Singers )by Fabliau92 6,596 views
- 1:34 Woodie Guthrie - All You Fascists are Bound to Loseby Michael Irvine 125,656 views
- 3:35 Kumbaya - Pete Seeger [10/24] by Daragh Phelan 71,720 views
- 4:12 Pete Seeger - I'm gonna be an engineerby Joe Stead 72,967 views
- 1:42 Pete Seeger - Get Up And Goby 2old2Rock 33,553 views
- 3:33 Talking Hard Work - Woody Guthrieby T.A. Sedlak 21,340 views
- 2:44 Casey Jones - Pete Seegerby solidaritet2010 16,807 views
- 3:12 Pete Seeger - Bring 'em Homeby 2old2Rock 177,654 views
- 2:56 Arlo Guthrie & Pete Seeger/ This Land Is Your Landby jguth3 232,290 views
- 2:21 El Quinto Regimiento - Pete Seeger and the Almanac singersby pasaremos2010 13,931 views
- 2:19 Tear the fascist down - Woody Guthrieby Mshrms 176,252 views
- 8:19 Wild Rover - Pete Seeger [5/24] by Daragh Phelan 47,650 views
- 5:20 Pete Seeger - "Forever Young"by AmnestyUSA 201,672 views
- Loading more suggestions...