The Beatles- Happiness is a Warm Gun
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 31, 2010
An interesting song. Tons of time signature changes, three main sections, and poetic lyrics. I hope you enjoy!
"Happiness Is a Warm Gun" is a song by The Beatles, featured on the eponymous double-disc album The Beatles, also known as The White Album. It is primarily a John Lennon composition, credited to Lennon/McCartney. The original working title of the song was "Happiness Is a Warm Gun in Your Hand," which was inspired by a magazine containing the phrase, which in turn parodied "Happiness Is a Warm Puppy," a Peanuts book written and illustrated by Charles Schulz in 1962.
According to Lennon, the title came from the cover of a gun magazine that producer George Martin showed him: "I think he showed me a cover of a magazine that said 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.' It was a gun magazine. I just thought it was a fantastic, insane thing to say. A warm gun means you just shot something."
"Happiness Is a Warm Gun" is Paul McCartney's favourite song on the White Album. Although tensions were high among the band during the album's recording sessions, they reportedly collaborated as a close unit to work out the song's challenging rhythmic and meter issues, and consequently considered it one of the few true "Beatles" songs on the album.
Lennon said he "put together three sections of different songs ... it seemed to run through all the different kinds of rock music." The song begins with a brief lilting section ("She's not a girl who misses much..."). Drums, bass and distorted guitar are introduced as this portion of the song proceeds. The surreal imagery from this section is allegedly taken from an acid trip that Lennon and Derek Taylor experienced, with Taylor contributing the opening lines. After this, the song transitions into a Lennon song fragment called "I Need a Fix," built around an ominous-sounding guitar riff. This section drifts into the next section, a chorus of "Mother Superior jumped the gun." The final section is a doo-wop send up, with the back-up of vocals of "bang, bang, shoot shoot."
One of the most salient musical features of the song is its frequent shifts in time signature. Beginning in 4/4 time, the song has one measure of 6/4 time for the line "She's well acquainted..." before changing back to 4/4 time for the next line ("The man in the crowd..."). It then uses a measure of 5/4 followed by a measure of 4/4 for the line "a soap impression of his wife which he ate and donated to the National Trust" . The subsequent guitar solo features a measure of 9/8 followed by two measures of 12/8. This pattern is repeated in the "I need a fix..." section. This gives way to alternating 9/8 and 10/8 measures in the "Mother Superior..." section before returning to 4/4 for the doo-wop style ending. The "When I hold you..." section slows down dramatically and employs one of the few examples of polyrhythm in the Beatles' repertoire: the drums play triplets while the rest of the instruments and background vocals use a duple rhythm.
Many different interpretations of the song have been offered down the years. It has been said that, in addition to the obvious reference mentioned above, the "Warm Gun" could also allude to Lennon's sexual desire for Yoko Ono and also to his well documented problems with heroin at the time of the recording of the White Album (in this case, the gun being a loaded syringe, although Lennon claimed to have snorted, rather than injected, heroin during the time that he used the drug).
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" on
- 44 videos Play all YouTube Mix - The Beatles- Happiness is a Warm Gun
- 47:49 The Beatles - Abbey Road (Complete Album) HQby TheSoundOfPlanet890,145 views
- 9:21 The Beatles on Yoko Onoby yellaflow140,380 views
- 4:46 The Beatles-While My Guitar Gently Weepsby AllTheLoveGoneBlack13,866,900 views
- 3:57 The Beatles - Dear Prudenceby DeutschMatheLehrer444,315 views
- 3:17 Beatles - Don't Let Me Down (1969) HQ 0815007by Clara08150071,866,742 views
- 4:14 The Beatles- Dear Prudenceby Beatlesrockthe60s2,023,122 views
- 3:10 ATU - Happiness Is A Warm Gunby SexySkittle531,089 views
- 2:45 The Beatles - Happiness Is A Warm Gunby jord0hh1,159,420 views
- 2:26:40 Concert for George by Raul Bujor555,142 views
- 1:14 George Harrison Swears & Insults Paul and Yokoby MetrazolElectricity3,461,588 views
- 3:46 The Beatles - Across The Universeby MusicOrGTFO5,887,580 views
- 3:42 The Rocky Raccoon - Beatles - Music Videoby explotdavis1,413,677 views
- 56:06 rock en español mix classicosby djsoniloko6,597,780 views
- 45:00 Howard Stern Show : Sir Paul McCartney Interview 10/08/13by M076n7143,938 views
- 44:48 Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run (full album 1973) [HD]by vantyc1,680,242 views
- 18 videos Play all Guitar Lessonsby canyoncrab
- 3:27 The Beatles - Two of us HD and HQby clubpenguinBoy11389,171 views
- 2:09:46 Rockshow (Full Concert)by JimmyMcCullochFan199,681 views
- 2:46 The Beatles - Happiness Is A Warm Gunby DeutschMatheLehrer69,410 views
- 40:01 Unknown Pleasures - Joy Divison (Full Album)by Thomas Guillo38,004 views