NYSE Euronext Joins the United Nations Sustainable Stock Exchanges Initiative
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 31, 2013
NYSE Euronext, parent company of the New York Stock Exchange, today announced that it will join the United Nations Sustainable Stock Exchanges (SSE) initiative to promote sustainable capital markets. As a global exchange group home to the world's leading companies, NYSE Euronext's commitment signals the significance of sustainability to the private sector globally.
In remarks delivered today at the New York Stock Exchange, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon commended the company for its commitment to improve corporate behaviour and promote sustainable investment. The Secretary-General also rang the NYSE closing bell to commemorate the occasion.
"I thank NYSE Euronext for committing to the Sustainable Stock Exchanges initiative and I urge stock exchanges around the world to follow your lead," said the UN Secretary-General.
He continued: "I join you here today because I believe in working for more prosperous and inclusive societies, thriving markets and economies and a greener planet. We cannot achieve these goals without the participation of all. We all need to be shareholders in a sustainable future."
Established in 2009 by the UN Secretary-General, the SSE initiative explores how stock exchanges can work together with investors, regulators and companies to enhance corporate transparency -- and ultimately performance -- on environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) issues, and encourage responsible long-term approaches to investment.
"As the only carbon neutral global exchange group, we are proud to join the SSE initiative and partner with the UN and our industry to support best practices in corporate governance and transparency related to corporate sustainability," said Duncan L. Niederauer, CEO of NYSE Euronext. "We lead by example by running our business in an environmentally responsible manner, and by leveraging the unique power of our platform and our NYSE Euronext community, we empower learning and collaboration within the broader corporate sector."
As corporate sustainability continues to gain momentum globally, the SSE provides a unique platform for stock exchanges to develop customized strategies to contribute to the sustainable development goals of UN Member States. To date, eight stock exchanges with more than 13,000 listed companies have signed the SSE Voluntary Commitment to promote sustainability issues.
NYSE Euronext has demonstrated a clear commitment to corporate sustainability. In 2012, NYSE Euronext achieved carbon-neutral status for the third year in a row, making it the only global exchange operator to do so. In the same year, the company was also named to CDP's S&P 500 Carbon Performance Leadership Index and received a Green Power Leadership Award from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). For a number of years, the company has been included in several key sustainability indices, including CDP's S&P 500 Disclosure Leadership Index, the Dow Jones Sustainability Index and FTSE4Good, and is a member of the EPA's Green Power Partnership.
The SSE initiative is co-organized by the UN Global Compact, the UN Conference on Trade and Development, the UN-supported Principles for Responsible Investment and the United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative -- demonstrating the "one UN" model of collaboration to deliver on UN goals to advance sustainable development.
For more information on the Sustainable Stock Exchanges initiative, please visit www.SSEinitiative.org.
Remarks at New York Stock Exchange: Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, New York (USA), 24 July 2013
For more information, please http://3blmedia.com/News/CSR/NYSE-Eur...
Standard YouTube License
- 20:14 TUTORIAL: How to Create Iniatives in Mission Platformby Rian Roux58 views
- 4:12 Proof That Birth Certificates Are Traded On NYSE Stock Exchangeby FederalJacktube637,768 views
- 17:43 Malala Yousafzai addresses United Nations Youth Assemblyby unitednations176,018 views
- 6:03 YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE IS A STOCK ON THE NYSE! YOU'RE ALL SLAVES, SOLD AS COLLATERAL TO THE BANK THAT BOUGHT U IN 1932!by Gzus Cryst40,184 views
- 1:28:10 Terra e Sustentabilidade - documentário completoby johndeerebrasil22,920 views
- 1:24:59 Sustainability and Food Choice: Why Eating Local, "Less" Meat, and Taking Baby Steps Won't Workby John McDougall30,048 views
- 43:43 Obama speech at the United Nations General Assembly FULL VIDEOby IRAN APARAT21,631 views
- 45:52 Десятое UT Talk show - Скальпинг на NYSEby United Traders6,969 views
- 19:36 Girl Shot in Head by Taliban, Speaks at UN: Malala Yousafzai United Nations Speech 2013by ABC News560,545 views
- 21:11 Troops Ordered To Kill All Americans Who Do Not Turn In Gunsby TheAlexJonesChannel3,075,919 views
- 43:11 FULL- President Obama Addresses the United Nations - Syria, Iran Speech 9/24/2013by YouHotNews25,570 views
- 7:55 Getting Hired at United Nations Universityby osakarob1,083 views
- 19:37 What is a stock exchange? - MoneyWeek Investment Tutorialsby MoneyWeekVideos44,624 views
- 19:19 Sustainable is Possible: Ma'ikwe Schaub Ludwig at TEDxCarletonCollegeby TEDxTalks1,902 views
- 7:22 The World in a Day - Behind the Scenes with the UN Secretary-Generalby unitednations54,538 views
- 5:30 Corporate Sustainability - Making It Happenby TerraInfirmaLtd846 views
- 2:09 American Airlines Depends on AngelPoints for Employee Volunteeringby 3BL Media17 views
- 6:58 What Is A Stock Exchange - A Beginners Guideby SharesCoach4,445 views
- 10:29 A tour of the NYSE main floorby JamesNYFP21,413 views
- 11:36 Stock Market: "What Makes Us Tick" 1952 New York Stock Exchange 12minby Jeff Quitney4,783 views
- Loading more suggestions...