"Purposeful" - water as a TOOL of political protest
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 1, 2012
UPDATE Aug. 6: Rachel responds: http://youtu.be/IUNRN5S0iWE
UPDATE Aug. 2, 2012: Considering that Adam Smith, the man who made this protest video, was a Chief Financial Officer of Vante, Inc. (trademark of Engineering and Research Associates, Inc.), a medical supply manufacturer; some have asked were his actions appropriate for an officer of company?
We have the answer, at least from Vante's perspective. Vante put out a press release the day after this video was made announcing that Mr. Smith is no longer with their company:
"TUCSON, AZ--(Marketwire - Aug 2, 2012) - The following is a statement from Vante:
"Vante regrets the unfortunate events that transpired yesterday in Tucson between our former CFO/Treasurer Adam Smith and an employee at Chick-fil-A. Effective immediately, Mr. Smith is no longer an employee of our company.
"The actions of Mr. Smith do not reflect our corporate values in any manner. Vante is an equal opportunity company with a diverse workforce, which holds diverse opinions. We respect the right of our employees and all Americans to hold and express their personal opinions, however, we also expect our company officers to behave in a manner commensurate with their position and in a respectful fashion that conveys these values of civility with others.
"We hope that the general population does not hold Mr. Smith's actions against Vante and its employees."
Clearly the question of whether Mr. Smith's political protest actions were a matter of public interest has been settled: they were.
I hope Mr. Smith learns from this episode how to behave more appropriately and professionally when making his political points. However, in his defense, I will say that he was not particularly angry nor violent when he made his protest, nor did he break any law. He has received consequences for his bad judgement and in my view, they are sufficient.
'Business Insider' has more to say about Adam Smith in their article about him:
"Exec Bullies Chick-Fil-A Worker, Then Promptly Gets Fired For It"
YouTube: A video is considered "fair use" if it is newsworthy and touches on a matter of public interest. This protester proactively published his video in political protest of recent corporate statements of "Chick-fil-A" and their support of traditional marriage.
While I personally have no objection to same sex marriage, the public actions of protesters are a matter of general interest. Specifically ... this brave young man ... has hit on a new tactic: that of asking for a glass of water.
Water ... drinking water ... used to make a statement. Why, it's almost biblical. Atheist or not as I may be, I got to respect the poetic nature of what he's doing.
This water tactic is new and must be widely discussed. Therefore, this video.
Further, the person of courage, the daring doer of deeds, the man of action who staged this awesome protest simultaneously found a way to feel PURPOSEFUL.
Ergo, this video is important for those people who wish to raise their self-esteem by asking for glasses of water and hassling young women while clearly flirting with them and reminding them that, yes, hetero.
In fact, "Not a gay in him."
Well done, sir. I stand in amazement at your Game almost as much as I do your intrepidity and protesting moxie.
And the students you noticed and commented on? You know, they probably ARE just like you and WOULD be **shocked** -- with slack-jawed stunned looks, no doubt -- by your actions, which you videotaped for the world to take note of.
Standard YouTube License
- 41:22 A Tribute To Ryan Dunn MTV Specialby ALLYCAT5913,709,442 views
- 2:49 Chic-Fil-A Day in Surprise, AZ - A GREAT success!by GodGunsGutsGlory4KJV502 views
- 5:07 Chick-Fil-A Drive-Through Bully Hassles Employee And Gets Firedby The Young Turks195,814 views
- 6:56 Chick-fil-a protest Hollywood (words from a teacher)by Christopher Roland1,432 views
- 2:21 A$$HOLE Tries to BULLY Chick-fil-A Drive Thru Chick! EPIC FAIL RESULTS!!!!!by NakedWomenEatFruit117,585 views
- 10:59 The President Who Told The TRUTH!!!by gtols119801,246,887 views
- 7:01 Stand Against Hate: Chick fil aby Kimberly Stafford849 views
- 3:55 Ask Rachel: On Being a YouTube Celebrity (Part 1 of 5)by VumanityMain1,076 views
- 7:37 Gay Marriage Supporter Harasses Chick-fil-A Employeeby yazakchattiest36,062 views
- 5:06 Huge Support for Chick-fil-A Dayby On Knees for Jesus13,270 views
- 3:50 Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day | An Army Was Raised Against Tyrannyby subtac6,901 views
- 7:53 Liberal Unhinged Over Chick Fil A: Leo Terrell on Hannityby MediaMantle8,168 views
- 2:39 Obama's Press Secretary Asked to Name the Capital of Israel - Report from the White House Press Roomby William Koenig1,418 views
- 4:18 Tosh.O Chik-Fil-Aby Jsn23322121,713 views
- 1:15 Chick-fil-A's @ Capacity During 'Appreciation Day' As Customers Show Support For Traditional Valuesby YouCruising11,059 views
- 4:39 $13,238.86 left in a NYC taxiby caseyneistat542,569 views
- 7:41 CHICK-FIL-A DAY!!!!by GuerrillaPolitics1,246 views
- 7:50 Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day Sparks Nationwide Turnout! - Eric Bolling - Mike Huckabee - 8-1-12by RightSightings33,421 views
- 1:47 Chick-fil-A Fans CRUSH GAY BIGOTS!!.... Christ-hating Protesters SWAMPED by Supportersby NakedWomenEatFruit1,265 views
- 3:40 General Electric Monitor Top: "Makes It Safe To Be Hungry" Part Twoby Ednay Arkspay5,574 views
- Loading more suggestions...