What is an Open Access Policy? Why should Purdue faculty care?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 7, 2011
At universities around North America, faculty are adopting policies for depositing their published articles into openly accessible digital repositories, like Purdue e-Pubs. By making their scholarly peer-reviewed journal articles available through such repositories, they are increasing access to their work for scholars, educators, and policymakers worldwide. The establishment of such a policy and its implementation has the potential for transformative positive effects on how research is disseminated and used. It also, however, involves greater awareness among authors about the terms of agreements they are signing with publishers and new responsibilities for the librarians who assist in implementation. While Harvard, MIT and Princeton are among the private universities where faculty have adopted Open Access policies, the University of Kansas was first among public universities, in 2009. The University Senate at Purdue will soon consider adopting such a policy. What do you need to know and why should you care?
Join colleagues at Purdue to learn about Open Access policies and what the implications are for faculty. Purdue Libraries has invited faculty from the University of Kansas who were instrumental in adopting the first public university OA policy, to walk through their experience and answer questions.
Ada Emmett is the Scholarly Communications Librarian at the University of Kansas (KU).
Dr. Marc Greenburg is currently serving as chairman and professor of Slavic Languages at the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures at the University of Kansas.
Dr. Townsend Peterson is a distinguished professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Kansas. He is also the curator, at the Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:30:23 Jason Priem presents Altmetrics at Purdue University February 14, 2012by PurdueUniversity1,301 views
- 30:04 What is an Open Access Policy? Dr. Townsend Peterson Presentationby PurdueUniversity158 views
- 29:52 Designing the Workflow for a Digital Data Repositoryby PurdueUniversity203 views
- 1:42 Compliment Guys at Purdue Universityby PurdueUniversity105,568 views
- 1:56:21 PROJECT CAMELOT: INTERVIEW WITH KAREN HUDES - WORLD BANK WHISTLEBLOWERby Project Camelot86,051 views
- 44:01 Townsend Peterson- March 14, 2012by mvzvideo1203 views
- 1:58:33 Protests, Petitions & Publishing - Widening Access to Research in 2012by columbiauniversity5,019 views
- 7:15 The Purdue University Research Repository (PURR) Project and Publication Tutorialby PurdueLibraries127 views
- 50:34 Karen Hudes speaks to Freedom Centralby rich freedomcentral6,283 views
- 24:15 'Dollar valueless, about to crash' - World Bank whistleblowerby RT367,125 views
- 19:01 WORLD BANKER MAKES STUNNING CONFESSIONby PremierLegend1,700,727 views
- 17:33 End Of Television 223 - Part 1by pondoscp96 views
- 4:38 The Purdue University Research Repository (PURR)by PurdueLibraries1,108 views
- 1:54:38 Marxism and Confucianism Today: Comparative Philosophies in the Eurasian Realmby UCBerkeleyEvents6,384 views
- 1:37:32 Who Pays For Open Access?by columbiauniversity1,267 views
- 18:51 Pamela Meyer: How to spot a liarby TED2,571,089 views
- 21:03 Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you areby TED2,572,955 views
- 9:38 Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model.by TED2,027,110 views
- 18:11 Forget what you know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks2,343,503 views
- 5:08 KassTheBomb: How do you wipe your butt?by TarkSouthWestOne653 views
- Loading more suggestions...