Superfly - Curtis Mayfield (1972)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 2, 2012
"Superfly" was a song by American soul and funk musician Curtis Mayfield, the title track from his 1972 soundtrack album for the film, "Super Fly". It was the second single released from the album, and reached #8 on the Billboard Pop chart and #5 on the R&B chart. The song's lyrics celebrate the craftiness and determination of the film's main character, and plays over the film's closing credits. "Super Fly" was a 1972 Blaxploitation movie directed by Gordon Parks, Jr., starring Ron O'Neal as Youngblood Priest, a black cocaine dealer who is trying to quit the underworld drug business. "Super Fly" has the dubious distinction of being one of the few films ever to have been out-grossed by its soundtrack. The bassline and the rototom percussion break from the song's introduction (performed by Joseph 'Lucky' Scott and 'Master' Henry Gibson, respectively) have repeatedly been sampled in songs by many artists, including Beastie Boys, The Notorious B.I.G., and Nelly. Mayfield himself sampled the original song in "Superfly 1990", a duet he recorded with rapper Ice-T. "Super Fly" was the third studio album by Mayfield, released in July 1972 on Curtom Records. Widely considered a classic of 1970s soul and funk music, the album was a nearly-immediate hit. "Super Fly", along with Marvin Gaye's 1971 release "What's Going On", was one of the pioneering soul concept albums, with its then-unique socially-aware lyrics about poverty and drug abuse making the album stand out. The film and the soundtrack may be perceived as dissonant, since the "Super Fly" film holds rather ambiguous views on drug dealers, whereas Mayfield's position is far more critical. Like "What's Going On", the "Super Fly" album was a surprise hit that record executives felt had little chance at significant sales. Due to its success, Mayfield was tapped for several other film soundtracks over the course of the decade. In 2003, VH1 named "Super Fly" the 63rd greatest album of all time, and in 2003, the album was ranked number 69 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. Curtis Lee Mayfield (June 3, 1942 -- December 26, 1999) was an American soul, R&B, and funk singer, songwriter, and record producer. In addition to "Super Fly", he is also known for his anthemic music with The Impressions during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's. Mayfield is highly regarded as a pioneer of funk and of politically-conscious African-American music. He was also a multi-instrumentalist who played the guitar, bass, piano, saxophone, and drums. Mayfield was a winner of both the Grammy Legend Award (in 1994) and the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award (in 1995), and was a double inductee into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as a member of The Impressions in 1991, and again in 1999 as a solo artist. He was also a two-time Grammy Hall of Fame inductee. This channel is dedicated to all the great 'old school' R&B music I grew up with, the stuff that originally made me tap my feet and want to be a DJ. Funk, soul, disco, R&B, dance, hip-hop, pop . . . 60s, 70s, 80s . . . whatever you call it, it's all 'Old School' and it's all here!
See my videos featuring the Roots of Rap at:
If you like relaxing with some classic Cool Jazz, go to:
If you love jamming to some great Classic Rock, check out:
If you like college football & other aspects of life at The Ohio State University, go to:
Check out my newer music videos and other fun stuff at:
Check out my news videography stuff at:
Also, check out my youngest daughter (the world's youngest video producer) at:
To stay updated about all my projects, please 'Like' my Facebook fan page:
And coming in 2012 . . .
DJ Buddy Love presents LONGEVITY . . .
A world record club DJ mixing marathon charity event . . .
121 hours nonstop to benefit cancer research . . .
Live to the world via UStream, Facebook, YouTube & Twitter . . .
More details coming soon . . .
Copyright 1972 Curtom/Buddah Records
All Rights Reserved
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Superfly (Remastered)" on
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Superfly - Curtis Mayfield (1972)
- 5:24 curtis mayfield - Little Child Runnin' Wild - Superflyby BritByte Featured 32,198
- 56:02 Curtis Mayfield - Live At Ronnie Scott's (1988)by satchelpooch01againB62,017 views
- 4:36 Theme From 'Shaft' - Isaac Hayes (1971)by djbuddyloveoldschool45,274 views
- 24:33 Superfly  Documentary - One Last Dealby rambo1stblud85,599 views
- 4:27 Superstition - Stevie Wonder (1972)by djbuddyloveoldschool585,168 views
- 9:01 Curtis Mayfield 'Stone Junkie' Chancellor of Soul Mike Booneby Chance B2,609 views
- 5:06 Curtis Mayfield - Pushermanby Pierre Richard3,403,139 views
- 41 videos Play all Songs Sampled in Rap Songsby jasonclingerman
- 1:14:58 Curtis Mayfield - The Very Best Of Curtis Mayfield (1998) (Full Album)by Rap/Soul-Albums16,384 views
- 5:01 Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield (1972)by djbuddyloveoldschool102,013 views
- 5:29 Le Freak - Chic (1978)by djbuddyloveoldschool210,564 views
- 3:58 I'M YOUR PUSHERMAN by Curtis Mayfield.aviby discolarry1246,221 views
- 5:30 curtis mayfield - Freddie's Dead - Superflyby BritByte76,040 views
- 3:37 Stevie Wonder - Girl Blueby johnniewalker23108,522 views
- 1:02:15 Last Tango in Paris - Soundtrack (Deluxe Edition) - Full Album (1972-1998)by mytangoinparis84,001 views
- 3:54 Curtis Mayfield - Superflyby Pierre Richard2,642,292 views
- 7:13 Curtis Mayfield - Diamond in the Backby scarface1152,500,028 views
- 6:58 Curtis Mayfield interview and performance of "Superfly" on Soul Train 1973by globalimageworks36,647 views
- 36:21 FULL LP: Superfly by Curtis Mayfield (1972) HDby Jeremy Hodge49,186 views
- 4:55 CURTIS MAYFIELD - No Thing On Me (Cocaine Song)by FunkFeverClub355,458 views