An Atheist, a Jew, and a Christian Walk Into Fox to Battle Over Religion in Government
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 15, 2013
10/15/13 - Should Senate Chaplain Barry Black have invoked what some believe to be partisan politics in his daily senatorial prayers? That was the question Fox News host Gretchen Carlson posed to a rabbi, a priest, and an atheist (cue "walk into bar" jokes), setting off a battle over the place for religion in government. Chaplain Barry Black has made headlines throughout the government shutdown for his passionate senatorial prayers imploring lawmakers to put aside their pride and "end this madness" with some sort of deal. His sermons even got the SNL treatment this past weekend.
Fox regular Father Jonathan Morris praised Black's sermons, telling Carlson that "he has done a good job at not being partisan."
But Rabbi Aryeh Spero disagreed, asserting that he does not agree with the chaplain's content. "It has to do with a very important principle called liberty," he explained. "Obamacare denies people freedom of choice in their medical life ... That is an issue of liberty and religious freedom."
When it came American Atheists President David Silverman's turn to speak, he ultimately concluded there shouldn't be a senate chaplain whatsoever:
"What every religious preacher does is they take their own opinions and they assign those opinions to their God, they say, 'My God agrees with me and it is objectively true and this is the way that you should behave.' This is not what should be appearing on the Senate floor. What we should do is take the $500,000 allocated to the chaplain's budget and bring in some people to mediate the Senate... There is no need to have a chaplain in the Congress; it is a waste of money."
Father Morris countered that the chaplain doesn't get paid a salary to deliver the sermons. "And since the late 1700s," he added, "the United States of America has recognized in the chaplain and in many other aspects of our life that religion actually is a good thing for society. While, at the same time, respecting the freedom not to believe."
"This is not freedom," the atheist shot back. "When every person in the country is forced to shell out $500,000 so that this man can talk for a minute a day and say things as if he knows what is talking about. Let's bring in somebody useful."
Standard YouTube License
- 4:24 You're just atheists because you want to sin - Atheist Experienceby Atheist Digest Featured 8,302
- 1:07:20 ReasonFest 2013 Panel: Atheist, Christian, Hindu, Musilm and Jewby Amanda Brown1,142 views
- 2:21:26 Debate: David Silverman vs. Frank Turek - Examine Realityby Martin Veier-Olsen9,466 views
- 5:50 Dave Silverman v Megyn Kelly Sparby AtheismExamined12,113 views
- 44:47 David Silverman vs Dr James White - Is the new testament evilby brain3zzzz9,639 views
- 13:38 P1- Bill Maher Goes Off on Obamacare Failures With Piers Morgan: Shouldn't Have 'Lied to People'by YouStarNews34,985 views
- 6:22 An Atheist, A Jew And A Catholic Battle Over Religious Freedom on Foxby Breaking News 24x71,804 views
- 5:20 Penn Jillette Outs Fox News Host As Atheistby Secular Talk24,614 views
- 200 videos Play all Atheismby SGThibakusha
- 9:11 STUPID Christian Comments #4 | The Vegan Atheistby VeganAtheist1,477 views
- 56:51 Atheist Experience: Reasons why Christians don't kill Jews anymoreby bnbalenda2,042 views
- 1:50:10 Is Christianity Good for America? David Silverman vs Alex McFarlandby iesukirisuto32875 views
- 5:31 Donohue Attacks Silverman!by CRUClEFICTION3,594 views
- 4:59 Catholic League President to Atheists: You're Good for Nothingby TheCurmudgen1,754 views
- 56:50 Why did Christians stop killing Jews? - The Atheist Experience #734 (full episode)by TheAtheistExperience75,824 views
- 10:58 Bill O'Reilly + Elisabeth Hasselbeck + Fox News = Absurdby The Young Turks162,844 views
- 3:57 Fox News at Atheist Rallyby On Knees for Jesus68,373 views
- 2:04:39 The Reality Debate: Atheism vs. Theism (Dave Silverman vs. Frank Turek)by LibertarianSara21,358 views
- 6:39 David Silverman: "It's People Using Religion To Justify Their Bigotry"by CRUClEFICTION31,440 views
- 11:03 Atheist Prez David Silverman: There's an Atheist Fox News Hostby TDPS Interviews9,039 views