Bring Your Own Doc : The Battle Against Billboards and Visual Pollution "This Space Available," Director Gwenaëlle Gobé
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 25, 2012
"This Space Available," filmmaker Gwenaëlle Gobé joins BYOD to discuss her examination of the visual pollution of advertisements.
Inspired by an anti-ad ordinance in Sao Paolo, Gwenaëlle explored the ongoing and accelerating phenomenon of advertising taking over public space, and how artists and guerilla artists are doing battle with commercial visual noise.
Gwenaëlle Gobé is interested in investigating the ideal experience of communication.
She is driven by the belief that sometimes verbal language can act as an
obstacle in our attempts to connect with others.
"Stripped of words, the body would recover an idyllic state of selfless giving and
receiving. A balanced exchange would occur. I am passionate about exploring
what these epitomes. I observe and create stories, worlds and characters, and
experiment with human connection."
Gwenaëlle's work has been published and shown internationally, notably in the notorious Swindle Magazine and the New York based Swingset Magazine, Shepard Fairey's Subliminal Projects Gallery, The Institute of International Visual Arts in London, the Substation Gallery in Singapore, and on Obey The Giant Clothing. My 35mm cut-out animation 'The Old Noise' screened at Film Forum's First Sight Scene Festival, and at The Silent Movie Theatre in LA.
00:01 Welcome to BYOD
00:17 Introducing Gwenaëlle Gobé.
00:54 The inspiration for the film-Sao Paolo's Ad ban.
04:12 "This Space Available," Clip.
05:09 Detaching from your environment.
06:48 LA--the mecca of billboards.
07:18 "This Space Available," Clip: "We love traffic."
09:51 Different categories of billboards and crafting a visual experience.
13:05 Having an active role in the space around you
14:09 "This Space Available," Guerilla battle against billboards.
16:37 "Free speech belongs to whoever can pay the most."
18:38 Massive amounts of illegal advertising.
20:14 Distraction: The purpose of billboards.
22:01 Original disgust with billboards.
23:12 "This Space Available," Clip: Traffic counting.
24:49 Graffiti artists on public space.
26:24 Original market research and the illusion of modernity.
28:39 "This Space Available," Clip: Visual Pollution in Asia.
30:03 Future in advertising--augmented reality.
32:12 The future for Gwenaëlle and tracking the film.
33:19 Thanks and goodbye.
Next in Bring Your Own Doc: Season 3
- 49:38 De-Mystifying Deepak Chopra with "Decoding Deepak," Director Gotham Chopraby TheLipTV17,560 views
- 50:11 Bring Your Own Doc - Hippies, Cults & Bank Robbers with "Commune," & "My Friend Paul," Director Jonathan Bermanby TheLipTV42,488 views
- 53:52 Inside Boardwalk Empire with Writer / Creator Terence Winter (Full Episode)by TheLipTV6,897 views
- 5:39 A Visual Essay by Scenic America on Urban Sign Pollutionby ScenicAmerica12,689 views
- 10:50 A Mainstream Media Breakdown - The Jimmy Dore Showby Townsquare5,535 views
- 2:27 São Paulo Bans Billboardsby The Daily Conversation4,194 views
- 58:20 TheTruth About Your Food with FOOD, INC. Filmmaker Robert Kennerby TheLipTV442,361 views
- 6:09 QuickFlex Single Sheet Billboard Installationby FormetcoInc5,249 views
- 9:29 LA CONTAMINACION VISUALby DIEGO FRANCISCO ALVAREZ ATONAIDAN1,006 views
- 10:01 Howard Stern Show - "IT DOESN'T MATTA'!", Part 1 of 2by Ozwald Zissou2,826 views
- 3:46 Mobile Billboard Frame Systemby FleetAds2,121 views
- 5:46 Save To Our Planet - Contaminación Visual y Auditiva.wmvby SaveToOurPlanet20101,385 views
- 5:39 Top 10 Marketing Failures: Coke, Ford, Netflixby WatchMojo.com1,491,950 views
- 4:29 Billboard Investing - How to Install a Digital Billboardby Thomas Gunter30,711 views
- 4:12 Gonçalo Lisboa, aluno de Gestão da ISCTE Business School | In TVI - Jornal das 8 - 09-02-2013by ibsiscteiul1,500 views
- 2:32 Andreia Brazier Trainingby James Latter21,847 views
- 5:43 Visual pollutionby nevets391,160 views
- 1:59 Guerilla Video Projection + Street Marketing in New York City for Chandelier Creativeby ALT TERRAIN3,615 views
- 1:15:40 Cenk Uygur on Limbaugh, CNN, Ann Romney & the New Journalismby TheLipTV13,134 views