Dolphin Deaths from Nitrogen Pollution
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 19, 2012
Ocean River Institute is circulating a petition calling for a summer lawn-fertilizing holiday. It's asking Florida county commissioners to pass an ordinance to:
1. Not spread fertilizer closer to waterways than the setback.
2. Use at least 50% slow release nitrogen, 100% is better for lawns and waters.
3. Grant a lawn-fertilizing holiday from June 1 to Sept 30.
Urea nitrogen is the essence of lawn fertilizer. Nitrogen is the world's worst pollutant of oceans.
In Indian River Lagoon nitrogen during the hot summer months when day light length is longest is the limiting factor for algae growth. Less N going into coastal waters will result in less algal blooms, less harmful algal bloom, less algae that is consumed by blooming dinoflagettes that cause red tides. Less N means less slime on beaches, greater water clarity and healthier sea grass. Sea grass is dying in northern portions of IRL. Sea grass is harmed by algal growths on the blades of grass and by loss of light reaching the sea floor due to suspended algal blooms. IRL Dolphins are exhibiting skin-eating fungal infections all over their bodies. This fungal infection (Lobomycosis) only occurs on bottlenose dolphins living in waters with excessive nitrogen documented in IRL, Brazil and Australia. The fungal infection Lobomycosis is transmittable from dolphins to humans. In Greece found on coastal residents but not documented on the dolphins. Disease contract in Indian River Lagoon by a dolphin handler. Fungalcide applications do not work on this infection. Best cure is to surgically remove infected skin areas. When one can have green lawns and cleaner water by applying at least 50% slow release N to lawns in the spring. Take the summer off, don't spread fertilizer June 1 to Sept 30 and enjoy healthier oceans, clearer water and cleaner beaches. Do what golf courses and agriculture is already doing by not polluting with Nitrogen June 1 to Sept 30th.
Standard YouTube License
- 27:00 Solid Light Tackle Trout Fishing On Grass Beds In The Indian Riverby Florida Sport Fishing TV3,473 views
- 7:51 2010-08-23 - Hugh Hendry - The Battle Over Potashby underhill20,544 views
- 4:32 Rob Talks Slimy Algae Standing in Lagoonby Rob Moir424 views
- 5:35 The Primary Nutrients in Plant Growth: Nitrogenby IFAfertilizers3,884 views
- 1:39 Alert:Dolphin Deaths Off East Coast "unusual mortality event,"by The Cosmos News901 views
- 6:54 Fall Nitrogen Fertilizer #578 (Air Date 10/14/12)by AgPhD339 views
- 2:48 NASA Discovering dead zones in the oceans and lakesby encrypt77744,100 views
- 8:39 5 Myths About Algae Controlby klmgroupia36,866 views
- 9 videos Play all Examples of CEH scienceby CEHScienceNews
- 2:37 How fertilizing can impact the environmentby WaterMattersTV3,989 views
- 2:37 Indian River Lagoon pollutionby WPTVnews190 views
- 2:33 Europeans not safe from urban air pollution cancer threat, WHO confirmsby euronews (in English)1,132 views
- 8:01 La pollution sonore des fonds marins perturbent les cétacésby euronews (en français)1,462 views
- 8:07 Mekong River Dolphins and People (English-version)by WWF Cambodia232 views
- 4:06 Vines Overwhelming Trees in Rain Forestsby VOAvideo1,103 views
- 7:41 Pollution (Land, Air and Water Pollution)by Joraultechy88,010 views
- 4:04 Global nitrogen pollution: nitrate build up from soils to the sea (by Philip Taylor)by philipgrahamtaylor4,572 views
- 5:45 Copper and Nitric Acid then Nitrogen dioxide and waterby Walter Perry2,898 views
- 3:13 Diversión Con Nitrógeno Líquidoby Dustin Luke150,342 views
- 6:41 man..we try..but soon the truth will be evident -3/30/13~by saltlifer1140 views