P-Noy's Statement on the Senate's conviction of Chief Justice Renato Corona, 30 May 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 30, 2012
President's Hall, Malacañan Palace, | News Release below | Speeches: (Full text) | http://www.pcoo.gov.ph/speeches2012/s... | Photo: | http://www.pcoo.gov.ph/photos-may2012... |
Aquino thanks Filipinos for supporting his administration's quest for reform; says Corona's conviction proves no one is above the law
Extending his profound gratitude to the Filipino people for their continuing support for his administration's quest for refom, President Benigno S. Aquino III said the conviction of Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona proved that no one is above the law.
"Ang pinakamalaking handog ng paglilitiis na ito-- muli po nating napatunayan na posible palang makamit ang pagbabago. Posible palang magkaroon ng justice at hindi puro just-tiis and litanya sa ating bansa," the President said in a televised speech Wednesday evening regarding Corona's conviction.
"Napatunayan nating mangingibabaw ang katotohanan laban sa pagkukubli; mananaig ang tapat, laban sa tiwali; at magtatagumpay ang tama, laban sa mali," he added.
More importantly, the President said he realized that he's not alone in the fight against corruption and efforts to correct the flaws in the government.
Although the administration was able to remove the stumbling block for going after the excesses of the past administration, President Aquino said, the fight wouldn't stop there, adding that his administration will continue its efforts to reform the country's justice system.
The President said he'll now focus on designating the next chief justice who has unquestionable integrity, independent, brilliant and competent to lead the judiciary.
The President likewise thanked the Senate leadership for its efforts especially Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile who presided the impeachment trial.
He also extended his gratitude to the members of the prosecution team, particularly Representatives Niel Tupas and Rodolfo Farinas. House Speaker Feliciano Belmonte, the President said, is also instrumental for convicting Corona after he led the administration congressmen in filing the impeachment complaint against the chief justice.
"Nagpapasalamat po ako sa taumbayan; kayo rin po ang aming lakas at habang patuloy ninyong ipinamamalas ang suporta sa ating agenda ng mabuting pamamahala, hindi po tayo mabibigo," he said.
The people and the government must work together to make the administration's message clear; that no one is above the law and whoever commits wrongdoing will be held accountable, the President said.
On Tuesday, the Palace hailed the Senate's decision convicting Corona saying the verdict was a major leap towards restoring public confidence in the country's judicial system.
The senators voted overwhelmingly with 20 lawmakers deciding for the removal of Corona from office. Only three senators acquitted Corona.
The Senate verdict made Corona the first government official to be convicted by an impeachment court. (as/7:26pm)
Standard YouTube License
- 24:37 Fariñas: Several 'palusots' in CJ defenseby TheABSCBNNewsFeatured 33,949
- 24:42 FARIÑAS: MGA PALUSOT NI CHIEF JUSTICE CORONAby PINASWATCHER6 2,195 views
- 13:59 WEALTH OF THE GENERALS IN AFP: (FULL REPORT) HOW MILITARY GENERALS BECAME MILLIONAIRESby PINASISM6 9,695 views
- 5:58 The Prosecution's Bazookaby rapplerdotcom 8,895 views
- 3:23 Lacson says CJ guilty as chargedby TheABSCBNNews 10,546 views
- 10:40 PNOY AQUINO SLAPS CHIEF JUSTICE CORONA WITH FACTS AT 1ST NATIONAL CRIMINAL JUSTICE SUMMITby PINASWATCHER6 12,537 views
- 0:35 Fariñas salutes Lito Lapidby rapplerdotcom 6,656 views
- 10:29 Kris Aquino Interview with Bong Bong Marcos Part 1by bongbongmarcos2009 376,675 views
- 5:00 Sen Miriam Defensor-Santiago voted to acquit CJ Renato Coronaby Alex Sugay 4,255 views
- 8:43 CJ CORONA IMPEACHED! VIOLATED CONSTITUTION! BETRAYED PUBLIC TRUST! VOTES 20-3 THANK YOU SENATORS!by PINASWATCHER6 4,206 views
- 42:19 Enrile votes guiltyby rapplerdotcom 5,120 views
- 4:54 Rep. Fariñas: SC can't decide on impeachment matters 1/2by ANCalerts 5,986 views
- 20:15 Miriam goes ballistic, says CJ not guiltyby TheABSCBNNews 54,039 views
- 6:38 Kiko Pangilinan's explanation of verdict on the case vs Chief Justice Renato Coronaby Kiko Pangilinan 1,653 views
- 0:28 Impeachment Court Convicts Coronaby SolarTVNews 3,845 views
- 3:16:07 Day 43 of the Impeachment Trial of CJ Coronaby gmanews 68,322 views
- 5:45 Pres. Noynoy Aquino's Speech re Corona Convictionby maroumedia 1,472 views
- 15:00 ILANTAD ANG BAHO NG ANGKAN AQUINO-COJUANGCO!by AntiPinoyTV 141,711 views
- 10:51 NINOY AQUINO's memorable speech (2/9) in Los Angeles (2-15-1981)by NinoyAquinoTV 209,097 views
- 4:34 Drilon is 4th vote for Corona convictionby TheABSCBNNews 4,673 views