"TEETHING" BABY WHALE USES HUMANS AS PACIFIERS, WHALE WATCHING
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 18, 2013
This video was taken in upper Magdalena Bay, Baja, CA during Capt. Dave's family vacation. Captain Dave used his GoPro camera attached to a broom handle to film this. These gray whales come over here just to be petted. No one feeds them or does anything to entice them. They simply come over for the physical contact. According to the naturalists who see them everyday, these gray whale calves enjoy having people touch them, even in their mouth and on their baleen. Even though these whales don't have teeth, perhaps it is like a teething child who enjoys having his gums rubbed.
Gray whales pass by Dana Point, California, where our unique whale watching boats see them on their annual migration as they travel from the Chukchi Sea near Alaska to the lagoons in Baja, where this was filmed, and back every year. You can see them or learn more about them by reading Capt. Dave's book "Lily, A Gray Whales Odyssey" or by coming out with Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari on one of our daily trips. Go to http://www.DolpinSafari.com.
Gray whales have one of the longest and most dangerous migrations of any mammal in the world. They have to watch out for killer whales which kill up to 35% of their calves, aboriginal hunters in Russia which are allowed to kill up to 140 a year, and they must avoid ships and getting entangled in fishing gear which kills nearly 1,000 dolphins and whales a day (308,000 a year) worldwide. Capt. Dave Captain Dave organized Orange County's only whale disentanglement group in 2008 and was hands-on with Lily the Gray Whale's disentanglement that made national headlines. He has been featured on the Ellen Show and on CBS Morning News for his conservation efforts and his success in disentangling whales.
All audio and video footage is copyright David Anderson/DolphinSafari.com and may not be used without permission.
Captain Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari offers daily, year-round, dolphin and whale watching trips from Dana Point Harbor aboard a hi-tech catamaran with Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing Pods and LIVE broadcasting from http://www.dolphinsafari.com.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:41 3 Chuggington Surprise Eggs Kinder Surprise like Zaini Chocolate Surprise Eggs Unboxing Cool Toysby hobbieshobbies Featured 185,826
- 47:27 Half-Ton Killerby DocuFilmTV28,066,837 views
- 47:04 Megalodon Giant Shark(full documentary)HDby Nature + Science Documentaries2,213,733 views
- 3:00 Unidentified Creatureby Epic Wildlife5,699,744 views
- 1:30 Baby Dolphin Meets Family Who Rescued Himby The Weather Channel75,676 views
- 8:21 Humpback Whale Shows AMAZING Appreciation After Being Freed From Netsby JoinWakeUpWorld5,774,044 views
- 3:15 Expert Whale Trainers Attacked In BLACKFISHby TheLipTV298,135 views
- 1:23 Fisherman in scary whale encounterby 7NEWS444,783 views
- 43:53 Nature Shock: When Killer Whales Attackby AllForWhales1,393,924 views
- 11:38 Worlds Largest Blue Whale colony - Discovered in Sri Lankaby srilankanlion1,560,966 views
- 1:35 GREAT WHITE SHARK BITES SHARK IN HALFby Animal Wire979,706 views
- 2:00 Killer whales surprise couple on boatby CNN2,402,713 views
- 1:40 BABY MERMAID BIRTH CONFIRMED!!!by billschannel17,636,736 views
- 4:28 Killer Sharks vs. Killer Whalesby ABC News710,363 views
- 3:53 Dead Fin Whale on Cape Cod-Necropsy -Provincetown, MA (Graphic Content)by Rachael Montejo10,826,243 views
- 1:59 Killer Whale Kills Trainer Footage - Disturbing Scenesby jas887311,658,112 views
- 0:47 Whale shark sucks fish out of hole in fishing net - Conservation International (CI)by ConservationDotOrg619,432 views
- 0:32 RAW FOOTAGE: Huge whale shocks kayakerby 7NEWS183,387 views
- 1:25 COLOSSAL SQUID (giant squid ) Vs. SPERM WHALE "EPIC BATTLE"by mrkillerdeath69477,220 views
- 2:29 Dolphins Help Young Sealby Oasis HD1,033,603 views
- Loading more suggestions...