Nassim Nicholas Taleb - What is a "Black Swan?"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 24, 2008
Complete video at: http://fora.tv/2008/02/04/Future_Has_...
Author Nassim Nicholas Taleb discusses the central theme of his bestselling book, "The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable."
The Future Has Always Been Crazier Than We Thought with Nassim Nicholas Taleb.
Author Nassim Nicholas Taleb discusses his book, The Black Swan in relation to predicting the future, learning from the consequences of the unknown, and the power of randomness.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb is an essayist, belletrist, and researcher only interested in one single topic, chance (particularly extreme and rare events, the "Black Swans" i.e. outliers); but it falls at the intersection of philosophy/epistemology (skepticism; knowledge about the dynamics of history; inferential claims), philosophy/ethics (stoicism facing random events; theories of nonhedonic happiness), mathematical sciences (probability theory, statistical physics), social science/finance (opacity & incomplete information in economics), and cognitive science (the mental biases making us "fooled" by randomness). He mainly derives his intuitions from a 2-decade long and intense practice of derivatives trading ("nondull" activities with plenty of randomness).
Taleb is currently a researcher at London Business School. He the Deans Professor in the Sciences of Uncertainty University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Fellow in Mathematics in Finance, Adjunct Professor of Mathematics at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences of New York University (since 1999), and research fellow, Wharton School Financial Institutions Center, and Chairman, Empirica LLC.
Taleb held senior trading positions with trading houses in New York and London and operated as a floor trader before founding Empirica LLC. His degrees include an MBA from the Wharton School and a Ph.D. from the University of Paris. He is the author of Dynamic Hedging, Fooled by Randomness, and The Black Swan.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:41 Nassim Nicholas Taleb Angryby volgaoneFeatured 216,279
- 3:12 Atheists and the Stock Market - Nassim Nicholas Talebby FORA.tv 78,083 views
- 19:55 We're All Predictably Irrational - Dan Arielyby FORA.tv 163,781 views
- 2:37 "The Era of Growth is Ending" - Jerry Manderby ForaTv 14,858 views
- 6:34 Nassim Taleb Criticizes Obama, Bernanke, and Summersby ForaTv 18,272 views
- 0:25 Ben Bernanke On the Black Swan Theoryby wworldp 27,167 views
- 29:15 David Cameron in conversation with Nassim Talebby The RSA 29,058 views
- 49 videos Play all Nassim Haramein - The Unified Field Theoryby iiisis2
- 22:57 [FULL VERSION] Nassim Nicholas Taleb explains Antifragileby penguinbooks 9,643 views
- 2:16:26 Debate - Hitchens, Harris, Dennett vs Boteach, D'Souza, Taleb.by LaCiudaddelasIdeas 442,737 views
- 9:50 Nassim Taleb Angry At Obama's and Geithner's Lies and Gamesby atlien991 39,017 views
- 39:35 Nassim Nicholas Taleb ZURICH.MINDSby zurichminds 21,595 views
- 12:21 Taleb Says Focus on Specific Trades in Selloff Misguidedby Bloomberg 61,613 views
- 6:03 10 Questions for Nassim Talebby TIME MAGAZINE 52,908 views
- 1:21 Robert Merton Plays into Nassim Nicholas Taleb's Handby volgaone 30,787 views
- 1:40:59 Nassim Nicholas Taleb: How to Live in a World we Don't Understandby Concordia University, Montreal 2,294 views
- 2:43 Nassim Nicholas Taleb Complains About Bailout Hazardby volgaone 30,308 views
- 19:52 Nassim Nicholas Taleb - The Predictability of Unpredictabilityby The RSA 31,657 views
- 10:10 Nassim Taleb and Systemic Riskby nydivide 5,940 views
- 10:04 Hedge Funds - Paul Solmanby Bob Burns 25,625 views
- 3:58 El poder de lo inimaginableby smartplanet 78,508 views
- Loading more suggestions...