Rally to Save Texas Schools 3/12/11
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 14, 2011
Well over 11,000 parents, teachers, educators and community leaders from over 300 independent school districts converged at the state capital in Austin on Saturday, March 12.
"Today, Texans have come together in great numbers and have sent a very strong, clear message to our elected officials that we must do better by the children of our state by funding education to the maximum extent possible," says Allen Weeks of Save Texas Schools, the grassroots coalition organizing the rally, and director of Austin Voices for Education and Youth.
"And it's not over with this rally. We're going to continue our fight to keep Texas smart."
After a drum line led blocks of rally-goers on a march starting from Waterloo Park to the Capital grounds, a fantastic line-up of speakers and performers made heartfelt pleas for education.
"We live in the 21st century. We have a global economy," said Julian Castro, Mayor of San Antonio, in his podium address. "Here in Texas I wonder how long the fortune 500 companies will stick around if we can't produce the students who can compete,"
Superintendent John-Kuhn of Perrin-Whitt, CISD, rollicked the crowds with his impassioned speech, saying: "Public school teachers, you are the saviors of this society. You are the first responders standing in this rubble while they sit in their offices and scribble judgmentally on their clipboards. You are heroes and what you do isn't worth $27 billion; it is priceless."
In a unified voice, rally participants urged legislators to take three critical steps to help close state budget gaps that are threatening education:
Use the $9.3 billion Texas "Rainy Day" Fund to help rescue schools from the current crisis. Sign the paperwork for $830 million in federal aid for teachers. Fix school funding laws to be fair to all districts and our growing student population.
After the rally, Save Texas Schools offered a training to those who plan to continue to work for public education across the state. Topics covered included how to keep the grassroots effort growing, how the legislative process works, and how education is funded in Texas.
To learn more please visit: http://savetxschools.org
Filmed, Edited & Produced for Austin Indymedia by Jeff Zavala.
A ZGraphix production.
Standard YouTube License
- 15:00 Mrs Ra making education a priorityby AronRa Featured 25,604
- 8:36 The Texas Bible Class Challengeby aajoeyjo3,461 views
- 4:11 Youth Voices in Juvenile Justiceby MediaAwarenessAustin624 views
- 8:45 John Kuhn Speech at the Save Texas Schools Rally 2011by Daniel Wheeler3,725 views
- 9:52 John Kuhn Reads His "Alamo Letter"by Point5Empty554 views
- 7:40 John Kuhn addresses the Save Texas Schools rally March 12 in Austin TXby demb0nes1,240 views
- 1:42 Save Texas Schools Rallyby kxan360 views
- 2:56:20 Texas vs Texas Tech 2013by thornsx2,826 views
- 2:55 Texas Save Our Schools March and Rally Photos For Education Budget Crisisby Jim Becka679 views
- 1:09 Texas Democrats Respond to Gov. Perry's State of the State Addressby The Texas Tribune1,596 views
- 7:25 Dalton Sherman at the Save Texas Schools Rallyby SaveTXSchools4,359 views
- 19:57 Houston Have Your Say - Education Crisis, Part 1by HoustonPBS783 views
- 2:12:33 #12 Oklahoma State vs #24 Texas 2013by thornsx4,132 views
- 2:20 Hispanic Motivational Speaker - Raul Magdalenoby Raul Magdaleno1,037 views
- 9:22 Save Our Schools Rally For Education July 30, 2011by Thomas Ryder3,163 views
- 2:26 Gov. Rick Perry is a Crook! (TTC Land Grab)by Focus196460,993 views
- 8:43 Save Our Schools: The March to the White House July, 30 2011by SOSMarchCalifornia576 views
- 2:54 Tom Morello at the Capitol In Madison, WI.by Ben Redlin13,074 views
- 2:49:36 #7 Texas A&M vs #24 Auburn 2013by thornsx13,676 views
- 3:49 Save Our Schools!by TheHastingsTA1,171 views
- Loading more suggestions...