Heston's pulled pork with cabbage slaw - Waitrose
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 21, 2012
http://bit.ly/MxCq39 - "Enjoy my slow cooked pulled pork with cabbage slaw this summer. I'm going to leave you in the capable hands of Otto to take you through the recipe" - Heston Blumenthal.
The key to this recipe is the slow cooking of the pork shoulder steaks in the braising liquid, which will turn it into a lovely, thick, smoky barbeque sauce. For that, the first thing we're going to do is make the spice rub. I'm going to take some ground ginger, paprika, mustard powder and salt. I'm just going to quickly mix this and then save part of it to rub on the steak and part of it for the braising liquid.
Now to begin the braising liquid, heat up a pan, a little bit of oil, add finely sliced shallots. Now the shallots have lightly caramelised, I'm going to add the garlic. The reason I didn't add this at the beginning is it will turn the garlic quite bitter if you cook it for too long. To this, I'm going to add some muscovado sugar, tomato ketchup, chicken stock, some cider vinegar, a little bit of golden syrup for sweetness. Also tomato passata, tamarind paste, then a little bit of the spice mix that I made earlier. The rest is going to go to rub the steaks. Finally some Worcestershire sauce.
So this has been simmering now for about 15 minutes. All the flavours have developed so I'm going to remove it off the heat and blitz it using a hand blender to make it as smooth as possible before I put the steaks in to braise. So now I'm going to pass it through a fine sieve just to remove any pulp that's left from the blitzing. At this point, it may seem like I have a lot of sauce but as I cook the steaks for 90 minutes this will probably reduce by two thirds.
So now on to the steaks. First thing I'm going to do is turn my pan so that it gets really hot when I'm searing the steaks. I want those natural sugars of the steaks to caramelise. Take the steaks and use some of the rub I made earlier to rub on the surface on both sides of the steaks. You really want to get all of those nice flavours in.
Now I just have to quickly rinse my hands. Now the pan is nicely hot, I'm going to start searing the steaks. I'm going to cook them for about a minute on each side. At this point I'm going to remove the last of the four steaks. I'm going to remove a little of the excess oil. The steaks go back in and then just pour the braising liquid that I made earlier. Now we're going to allow this to come to a nice simmer and then cook it for about 90 minutes until we take two forks and it starts falling apart.
So in the meantime while this is simmering, I'm going to make a quick cabbage slaw. And for that I'm going to take some thinly sliced, cabbage, some grated carrot, lime juice and lime zest, vinegar, sugar and green chilli. Then I'm going to add chopped coriander. Just add it to the slaw and then season it with a little salt.
So after cooking the steaks I've let them cool completely in the sauce. This is very important because the steak can become really dry. Take the steaks and pull them apart. It comes apart quite easily and this is due to the slow cooking method. By doing it this way, not only will you have tender pieces of steak but you can also get rid of any stringy bits that might be tough to eat.
So now that I've pulled all of the steaks into nice small chunks, I'm going to return them to the sauce and just warm it through so that I can finish the dish.
I'm going to take some buns that I've just quickly toasted in the oven, put some of the pulled pork in the barbeque sauce. Take some of the slaw, put some of it on top.
So there it is: Heston's slow cooked pulled pork.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:11 Three-Michelin star Clare Smyth MBE Restaurant Gordon Ramsay; stunning tomato dish recipeby StaffCanteen Featured 29,372
- 3:01 Heston's Barbecue chicken wings - Waitroseby Waitrose9,043 views
- 3:42 Heston's Beautifully Creamy Scrambled Eggs | Cooking Tips From Waitroseby Waitrose105,503 views
- 4:17 Heston's Smoked salmon blinis with soured cream butter & pickled cucumber - Waitroseby Waitrose10,355 views
- 3:08 Heston's Cucumber gin & tonic - Waitroseby Waitrose20,428 views
- 27:44 In Search of Perfection- Pizzaby impeatus146,404 views
- 13:46 Pulled Pork - BEST YOU WILL EVER TASTEby Chef Bart37,656 views
- 29:16 Silver Hill Farm Heston Blumenthal In search of perfectionby SilverHillFarm133,423 views
- 29:15 In Search of Perfection- Spaghetti Bologneseby impeatus144,404 views
- 10:26 Kitchen Chemistry - Fruits and Vegetables - Part 1/2 - Heston Blumenthalby ObscureVideoUpload20,575 views
- 29:01 Heston Blumenthal' Bangers & Mash, Treacle Tart & Ice Creamby icookonline124,773 views
- 11:16 The Fat Duck - Masterclass (Part 1 of 2)by lesterfontayne164,351 views
- 3:56 Michel Roux Jnr - Bread Charlotte with Confit Duckby lesterfontayne17,805 views
- 4:56 Heston Blumenthal - The Perfect Roast Chickenby lesterfontayne177,774 views
- 13:25 Pulled Pork Boston Butt Recipe BBQ Smokedby lenfarneth137,309 views
- 59:16 Heston's Christmas Feastby Natia Jinjolava110,530 views
- 4:29 Heston Blumenthal - Perfect Mashby lesterfontayne95,168 views
- 3:03 Heston Blumenthal - The Perfect Poached Eggby lesterfontayne136,364 views
- 3:34 Heston Blumenthal - The Perfect Scotch Eggby lesterfontayne56,882 views
- 3:48 Heston Blumenthal - Triple-Cooked Chipsby lesterfontayne100,860 views
- Loading more suggestions...