Philip Roth - Man Booker International Prize 2011 Winner
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 18, 2011
Philip Roth is today announced as the winner of the fourth Man Booker International Prize at a press conference at the Sydney Opera House. Roth was chosen from a list of 13 eminent contenders.
The Man Booker International Prize, worth £60,000, is awarded for an achievement in fiction on the world stage. It is presented once every two years to a living author for a body of work published either originally in English or widely available in translation in the English language. It has previously been awarded to Ismail Kadaré in 2005, Chinua Achebe in 2007 and Alice Munro in 2009.
Philip Roth is a literary giant and one of the world's most prolific, celebrated - and controversial - writers. Born in March 1933 in New Jersey, Roth is best known for his 1969 novel Portnoy's Complaint, and for his late-1990s trilogy comprising the Pulitzer Prize-winning American Pastoral (1997),
I Married a Communist (1998), and The Human Stain (2000).
Rick Gekoski, Chair of the judging panel, commented today:
"For more than 50 years Philip Roth's books have stimulated, provoked
and amused an enormous, and still expanding, audience. His imagination has not only recast our idea of Jewish identity, it has also reanimated fiction, and not just American fiction, generally.
"His career is remarkable in that he starts at such a high level, and keeps getting better. In his 50s and 60s, when most novelists are in decline, he wrote a string of novels of the highest, enduring quality. Indeed, his most recent, Nemesis (2010), is as fresh, memorable, and alive with feeling as anything he has written. His is an astonishing achievement."
Philip Roth comments:
"I would like to thank the judges of the Man Booker Prize for awarding me this esteemed prize. One of the particular pleasures I've had as a writer is to have my work read internationally despite all the heartaches of translation that that entails. I hope the prize will bring me to the attention of readers around the world who are not familiar with my work. This is a great honour and I'm delighted to receive it."
The judging panel for the Man Booker International Prize 2011 consists of writer, academic and rare-book dealer Dr Rick Gekoski (Chair), publisher, writer and critic Carmen Callil, and award-winning novelist Justin Cartwright.
Roth is announced winner of the Man Booker International Prize 2011 from Sydney during the Sydney Writers' Festival. A festival event on 19 May will feature an exclusive filmed interview with Roth by novelist and critic Benjamin Taylor. The chair of the judges, Rick Gekoski, will discuss the judging process which saw much passionate debate over different candidates and how the winner was eventually decided.
Roth's award will be celebrated at a formal dinner in London on 28 June 2011.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:30 Advice to Writersby Big Think Featured 8,755
- 2:04:12 Translating the Dharmaby Oṁ Mani Padme Hūṁ2,638 views
- 27:56 Man Booker International Prize 2011 Winner Philip Roth interviewed by Benjamin Taylorby TheManBookerPrize25,177 views
- 25:40 30 Renowned Writers Speaking About Godby J Pararajasingham100,099 views
- 48:23 Siri Hustvedt in Conversation with Paul Austerby StrandBookStore10,469 views
- 23:15 BBC NEWS HARDtalk 10-22-2008: Paul Austerby Martijn van de Goor8,499 views
- 22:43 Bill Moyers interview with Ursula K. LeGuin about "Lathe of Heaven"by kliljedahl6,441 views
- 11:16 Philip Roth Interview on NPRby Kevin Man1,258 views
- 29:46 David Foster Wallace uncut interview (03/1996)by David Vaipan53,992 views
- 27:31 Clive James and Ian McEwan talking in the libraryby superiorso1,593 views
- 14:49 Philip Roth at The Center for Fiction (1/3)by The Center for Fiction3,453 views
- 35:10 Not the Booker Prize 2013by Richard Guardian
- 14:18 Ian McEwan: On making love work in fictionby Louisiana Channel934 views
- 14:38 Philip Roth Interview (2011)by ForceSeventeen15,215 views
- 12:31 20111117-Carnet de route Busnel-Philip Rothby Taltan Ola4,877 views
- 9:21 David Sedaris - What's funny about Americaby socialretard28130,164 views
- 6:19 Philip Roth about Plot against Americaby moinbo9,524 views
- 14:51 Writer's Workshopby Mesquite ISD11,752 views
- 10:53 Charlie Rose interviews David Foster Wallace, 1/4by apolloxias234,232 views
- 11:10 Interview de Paul Auster par Bernard Pivot à propos de son livreby Ina Culture6,549 views
- Loading more suggestions...