Russell vs Chamberlain
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 1, 2008
Bill Russell terrorized the NBA for three seasons. No one had ever seen anything quite like him.
Then came Wilt Chamberlain.
Bigger by at least three inches, stronger, arguably just as quick, and in possession of the greatest offensive skills from the center position the basketball world has yet seen, Chamberlain loomed as a major threat to Russell's supremacy. On the eve of the 1959-60 NBA season, many people automatically assumed that the Russell Era was over, that the next dozen years or so would belong exclusively to Wilt Chamberlain.
Carl Braun was not one of those people. The veteran Knicks guard had played against each of the pivot greats during the exhibition season, and he figured he knew what made Bill Russell tick after watching him play from the moment he entered the NBA, fresh from winning an Olympic gold medal, in December 1956.
"This challenge by Chamberlain is going to make [Russell] better than ever," Braun forecast. "He's got a lot of pride, and nobody is going to knock him off that All-Star team without a fight."
Red Auerbach couldn't have said it better. Nor could Bill Russell, of course. You want to talk about an A-1 prophecy, start with this one: The Bill Russell reign of terror was only beginning.
But so was the greatest individual subplot in American team sports history. For Wilt Chamberlain was every bit as gifted as his advocates believed. He would rewrite the NBA record book many times over. He would become the greatest individual force in the sport's history. And he would prod Bill Russell into playing some of his very best basketball. Absent Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell would have been great. But because of Wilt Chamberlain's terrifying presence, Bill Russell became, as the old Army ad said, all that he could be.
"People say it was the greatest individual rivalry they've ever seen," Russell says. "I agree with that. I have to laugh today. I'll turn on the TV and see the Knicks play the Lakers, and half the time Patrick [Ewing] isn't even guarding Shaq [O'Neal], and vice-versa. Let me assure you that if either Wilt's or Russ' coach had ever told one of them he couldn't guard the other guy, he would have lost that player forever!"
Standard YouTube License
- 0:47 Shaq dunks on Mutombo and does 'Finger Wag'by Łukasz ŁukiewiczFeatured 3,324,554
- 15:24 Wilt Chamberlain interview, 1987by nonplayerzealot4 93,374 views
- 14:52  Lakers @ Bucks - Chamberlain vs. Jabbar - Part 1 of 8.aviby Danilo Augusto 15,063 views
- 0:26 Wilt Chamberlain swishes four 3-point range hook shots in a row!by The Wilt Chamberlain Archive 83,362 views
- 1:45 Wilt Chamberlain at 17by SPPN 316,556 views
- Bill Russell 897 videos21
- 0:48 Wilt Chamberlain dueling Kareem Abdul-Jabbar with a BRUTAL barrage of dunksby The Wilt Chamberlain Archive 28,044 views
- 3:09 Olajuwon dominates Robinsonby petch34 1,482,988 views
- 0:21 Wilt Chamberlain Blocking Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's Signature Sky-hookby DJJBstuffandGAMING's channel 100,888 views
- 4:34 Muhammad Ali vs. Wilt Chamberlainby Hal15Greer 4,307 views
- 10:21 Bill Russell talks with NBA TV crewby HR Productions 25,096 views
- 1:54 Wilt Chamberlain INSANE vertical (rare footage) - highest reach ever? HDby The Wilt Chamberlain Archive 131,903 views
- 7:18 Wilt Chamberlain : The Greatest Offensive Forceby garioldwin 155,346 views
- 0:31 1993 - Reebok - Shaq, Russell, Chamberlain, Kareem, Waltonby Jean-Sebastien Blondel 235,407 views
- 8:14 Wilt Chamberlain - A Real Superman (WIP#6)by The Wilt Chamberlain Archive 139,831 views
- 3:57 Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain -- The World's Greatestby AlJeffersonFan257 64,688 views
- 7:36 1967 NBA Playoffs: Boston Celtics vs Philadelphia Sixersby ginoongkamote 18,172 views
- 7:39 Kareem Abdul Jabbar: The Unstoppable Sky Hookby Huracan El Grande 301,937 views
- 3:48 Bill Russell Teaches Defensive Reboundsby RealMandraque 22,374 views
- 1:43 Bird and dr j amazing fight!by BBALLEXPERT23 1,149,791 views
- 3:47 Kevin Garnett as Wilt Chamberlain (Rebound: The Legend of Earl The Goat Manigault, 1996)by garnetttribute 120,173 views
- Loading more suggestions...