Russell vs Chamberlain
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 1, 2008
Bill Russell terrorized the NBA for three seasons. No one had ever seen anything quite like him.
Then came Wilt Chamberlain.
Bigger by at least three inches, stronger, arguably just as quick, and in possession of the greatest offensive skills from the center position the basketball world has yet seen, Chamberlain loomed as a major threat to Russell's supremacy. On the eve of the 1959-60 NBA season, many people automatically assumed that the Russell Era was over, that the next dozen years or so would belong exclusively to Wilt Chamberlain.
Carl Braun was not one of those people. The veteran Knicks guard had played against each of the pivot greats during the exhibition season, and he figured he knew what made Bill Russell tick after watching him play from the moment he entered the NBA, fresh from winning an Olympic gold medal, in December 1956.
"This challenge by Chamberlain is going to make [Russell] better than ever," Braun forecast. "He's got a lot of pride, and nobody is going to knock him off that All-Star team without a fight."
Red Auerbach couldn't have said it better. Nor could Bill Russell, of course. You want to talk about an A-1 prophecy, start with this one: The Bill Russell reign of terror was only beginning.
But so was the greatest individual subplot in American team sports history. For Wilt Chamberlain was every bit as gifted as his advocates believed. He would rewrite the NBA record book many times over. He would become the greatest individual force in the sport's history. And he would prod Bill Russell into playing some of his very best basketball. Absent Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell would have been great. But because of Wilt Chamberlain's terrifying presence, Bill Russell became, as the old Army ad said, all that he could be.
"People say it was the greatest individual rivalry they've ever seen," Russell says. "I agree with that. I have to laugh today. I'll turn on the TV and see the Knicks play the Lakers, and half the time Patrick [Ewing] isn't even guarding Shaq [O'Neal], and vice-versa. Let me assure you that if either Wilt's or Russ' coach had ever told one of them he couldn't guard the other guy, he would have lost that player forever!"
Standard YouTube License
- 5:28 Wilt Chamberlain Bio: Life and Career of the Basketball Legendby WatchMojo.com Featured 6,392
- 8:47 The Battle of The Giants - Wilt Chamberlain versus Kareem Abdul-Jabbarby Wilt Chamberlain Archive193,030 views
- 8:14 Wilt Chamberlain - A Real Superman (WIP#6)by Wilt Chamberlain Archive305,094 views
- 8:04 Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell interview by Ahmad Rashad 1997by laenebea77,310 views
- 15:24 Wilt Chamberlain interview, 1987by nonplayerzealot4124,982 views
- 4:38 NBA 50 Greatest Players: Centersby ginoongkamote51,329 views
- 1:12 Wilt Chamberlain blocks shots nearly 13 feet up: IMPOSSIBLE 7-footer leaping abilityby Wilt Chamberlain Archive145,451 views
- 14:52  Lakers @ Bucks - Chamberlain vs. Jabbar - Part 1 of 8.aviby Danilo Augusto26,907 views
- 0:48 Wilt Chamberlain dueling Kareem Abdul-Jabbar with a BRUTAL barrage of dunksby Wilt Chamberlain Archive67,471 views
- 48:58 Russel's Houseby WBKsportsHistory33,511 views
- 3:11 Olajuwon dominates Robinsonby petch341,733,430 views
- 10:21 Bill Russell talks with NBA TV crewby Hrvoje131333,168 views
- 7:39 Kareem Abdul Jabbar: The Unstoppable Sky Hookby Huracan El Grande357,155 views
- 6:01 NBA Career of Bill Russellby ginoongkamote179,569 views
- 6:09 Classic Confrontations: Wilt Chamberlain vs Bill Russellby ginoongkamote44,385 views
- 5:09 Vintage NBA - Wilt Chamberlainby ginoongkamote155,946 views
- 6:29 The 10 Greatest NBA Centers of All-Timeby SlayerInBlood230,228 views
- 3:57 Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain -- The World's Greatestby AlJeffersonFan25777,391 views
- 42:32 SportsCentury - Wilt Chamberlainby purpleandgoldTVC31,003 views
- 11:00 Giants of The Game: Russell and Chamberlain Part 1/2by LakersDynasty4253,964 views
- Loading more suggestions...