[The User] - Coincidence Engines One, Audiovisual Environment 2008-09
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 15, 2010
The first two works in the Coincidence Engines series are subtitled One: Universal Peoples Republic Time, and Two: Approximate demarcator of constellations in other cosmos. These two installations approach the idea of "co-incident" events from complementary perspectives. Coincidence Engine One assembles a large number of unsynchronized clocks whose combined ticking sounds produce an unusual and intriguingly organic sonic environment. Coincidence Engine Two develops a sophisticated synchronization control and amplification system around a group of specially-modified clocks that enables the artists to articulate audio-visual compositions by programming and sequencing the clocks' ticking behaviour.
The notion of concrete sound, and the specificity of the listener's relationship to sound sources in space are central to [The User]'s approach. Beyond being sound-producing instruments, the Coincidence Engines installations are free-standing, quasi-architectural constructions that are integral to the viewer-listener's absorption in fields of sonorous expression. The work's hybrid, interdisciplinary approach is simultaneously engaging and sophisticated. Coincidence Engines' potent experiential qualities provide multiple points for audiences' interactions with an innovative form of contemporary cultural expression.
The User] is a contemporary art collective comprised of architect and installation artist Thomas McIntosh, and composer and sound artist Emmanuel Madan. This Canadian duo has attained wide international recognition for their ground-breaking projects Silophone and Symphony for Dot Matrix Printers, which re-imagine relationships between technological systems, culture and human experience in striking ways.
[The User]s installation practice is characterized by experiential clarity, conceptual sophistication and technical accomplishment. The artists juxtaposition of recycled and contemporary technology has produced innovative and evocative statements concerning repetition, instrumentality and subjectivity. [The User]s projects can be described as emergent systems involving the orchestration of real-time processes that manifest themselves for an audience in a specific presentation space. Appreciation of [The User]s work by audiences and curators has led to a significant number of exhibitions, presentations and awards in the international media arts milieu.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:03:01 Electric Sheep in HD (2-hour 1080p Fractal Animation)by Simon Detheridge250,278 views
- 1:02:46 curso audiovisual de ajedrez - parte_73by chinitonoquelel2,145 views
- 35:38 How to Double Your Brain Power! (Great Stuff!) - Part 1by MindPowerWords1,168,161 views
- 9:24 Time is short clock is tickingby RubysTableTalk2,114 views
- 0:36 Поющие швейные машины Singer: механический оркестрby Сергей Герасимов1,643 views
- 52:16 Dr. Rinus Roelofs - Sculptures and structuresby Rutgers1,350 views
- 4:10 SSB3 Scroll Machine: Custom Railing Sampleby StratfordGates120,620 views
- 5:39 Girl Living With Half Her Brainby odelindal9,115,825 views
- 4:44 Intersection - sound installation by Don Ritterby Don Ritter3,030 views
- 6:42 Cineducación: Lenguaje Audiovisualby Cineducación Tv6,747 views
- 1:00:09 WARNING! Extremely Powerful Brainwave Binaural - Mind Control Power - Alphaby GeniusBrainPower2,410,309 views
- 9:25 Audio/Visual System Test 1.0b1by loneshark200011,378 views
- 7:52 .by lain4491,819 views
- 23:21 Dicas de apps para a sua produção audiovisual : Audiovizuando V5by Audiovizuando6,071 views
- 2:49 [The User] - Coincidence Engines Two, Audiovisual Environment 2008-09by MediaArtTube1,537 views
- 8:08 PBS The Secret Life of the Brain - The Baby's Brain (mini).wmvby 121ChineseLessons10,484 views
- 6:10 Bad Romance using MATLAB and 2 Netcomm Voice Modemsby Gough Lui180,341 views
- 8:00:01 Soothe Your Crying Baby | 8 Hours White Noise For Infantsby RelaxingWhiteNoise983,785 views
- 2:28 Baby born without brain brain turns 2by John Romero15,751,037 views
- 10:09 25-666 Decoding History Insights to Reality of the Matrixby Slavestorms50,109 views
- Loading more suggestions...