John Lennon - Give Peace A Chance (Original Video Tape) [HiQ]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 27, 2011
"Give Peace a Chance" is a song written by John Lennon, originally under the moniker Lennon/McCartney, released as a single in 1969 by the Plastic Ono Band on Apple Records, catalogue Apple 13 in the UK, Apple 1809 in the US. It is the first solo single issued by Lennon, and became an anthem of the American anti-war movement during the 1970s. It peaked at #14 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #2 on the British singles chart.
The song was written during Lennon's 'Bed-In' honeymoon: when asked by a reporter what he was trying to achieve by staying in bed, Lennon answered spontaneously "All we are saying is give peace a chance"; He sang the song several times during the Bed-In. Finally, on 1 June 1969, in Room 1742 at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, André Perry recorded it using a simple setup of four microphones and a four-track tape recorder rented from a local recording studio. The recording session was attended by dozens of journalists and various celebrities, including Timothy Leary, Rabbi Abraham Feinberg, Joseph Schwartz, Allan Rock, Rosemary Woodruff Leary, Petula Clark, Dick Gregory, Allen Ginsberg, Murray the K, Al Capp and Derek Taylor, many of whom are mentioned in the lyrics. Lennon played acoustic guitar and was joined by Tommy Smothers of the Smothers Brothers, also on acoustic guitar.
When released in 1969, the song was credited to Lennon/McCartney. On some later releases, only Lennon is credited; viz. the 1990s reissue of the 1972 album Live in New York City, the 2006 documentary The U.S. vs. John Lennon, and the 1997 compilation album Lennon Legend: The Very Best of John Lennon and its DVD version six years later. Lennon later stated his regrets about being "guilty enough to give McCartney credit as co-writer on my first independent single instead of giving it to Yoko, who had actually written it with me." However, it has also been suggested that the credit was a way of thanks to McCartney for helping him record "The Ballad of John and Yoko" at short notice.
After its issue as a single, with Yoko Ono's "Remember Love" on the B-side, it appeared on album in a truncated form for the singles compilation Shaved Fish in 1975. The track's first full-length album appearance was on the compilation The John Lennon Collection. Although technically the first "solo" single released by a member of the Beatles while the band was still intact, the artist credit was to the Plastic Ono Band, not John Lennon.
In the single version of the song, the 4th verse was omitted, and there is a count off of 1, 2, 3, 4, in German on the single. The original last verse of the song refers to: "John and Yoko, Timmy Leary, Rosemary, Tommy Smothers, Bobby Dylan, Tommy Cooper, Derek Taylor, Norman Mailer, Allen Ginsberg, Hare Krishna and The Beatles" (The Beatles were stil together at that time until 1970).
In the performance of "Give Peace a Chance" included on the Live Peace in Toronto 1969 album, Lennon openly stated that he could not remember all of the words and improvised with the names of the band members sharing the stage with him and anything that came to mind: "John and Yoko, Eric Clapton, Klaus Voormann, Penny Lane, Roosevelt, Nixon, Tommy Jones and Tommy Cooper, and somebody."
The third verse contains a reference to masturbation, but Lennon changed this to "mastication" on the official lyric sheet. He later admitted this was a "cop out" but wanted to avoid unnecessary controversy.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Give Peace A Chance (2010 - Remaster)" on
The Plastic Ono Band
- 38 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 4:56 John Lennon - Give Peace A Chanceby OrehdoogFeatured 4,637,879
- 9:55 Julian Lennon slams Yoko Ono and talks of John Lennon and Paul McCartney (part1)by Dustin Smith 862,283 views
- 4:01 John Lennon - Come Togetherby anniedestroy 5,004,078 views
- 6:24 Bon Jovi - Imagine / Give peace a chance (live) - 02-09-95by drycountytrade0tk 199,572 views
- 3:32 John Lennon - Imagineby Aviv Ben Israel 39,500,994 views
- 4:35 George Harrison - My Sweet Lordby The Beatles 5,533,895 views
- 3:00 The Beatles Ballad of John & Yoko (2009 Stereo Remaster)by TheQuarrymen58 344,234 views
- 23 videos Play all Give peace a chanceby clocloholdo
- 3:55 John Lennon - Imagine HDby El Rincon de Mozyto - Videos 1,908,056 views
- 3:35 John Lennon - Free As A Bird (Original)by CinAcid100 1,209,980 views
- 4:45 GOD - John Lennonby henriquebissoli 1,777,931 views
- 4:36 Lady Gaga: Imagineby disneyalb 3,699,263 views
- 3:13 Imagine Live - John Lennon - 72by ohshaith 4,942,102 views
- 3:24 John Lennon - Instant Karma!by JacobL616 971,016 views
- 3:11 JOHN LENNON - "GIMME SOME TRUTH" HDby Giacomo A. Iacolenna 618,181 views
- 3:32 John Lennon - Watching The Wheelsby gilmem 3,092,245 views
- 0:35 Sean Lennon-Give Peace A Chanceby leia176oo 214,539 views
- 4:18 John Lennon - Jealous Guyby Manuel López-Benito Álvarez-Blázquez 17,062,240 views
- 4:54 Give Peace A Chance - John Lennon (WITH LYRICS)by Courtney10000000 51,141 views
- 5:49 John Lennon - Give Peace A Chanceby JumpyDrip 11,545 views
- 5:03 John Lennon - Cold Turkey [HiQ]by TheBeatleMirko 2,272 views
- Loading more suggestions...