Published on Jul 30, 2012
ATTENTION - An updated version of this video now exists at the link below
UPDATED Mars Science Lab - Curiosity Rover "Call Me MayBe" Mashup - Post Landing
This is a mashup video of Mars Science Lab (MSL) Curiosity Rover videos set to "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen from the album Curiosity. The videos feature the launch of MSL, testing of the spacecraft at JPL, and animations of the cruise and entry, descent, and landing (EDL) of the rover. No NASA time or resources were used to make this video.
Be sure to catch the landing on NASA TV (can be streamed over Internet) on August 6 at 1:31am EDT.
Key lyric/MSL relations:
* "Where you think you're going baby?" - Mars (Gale Crater specifically)
* "And this is crazy" - the entry, descent, and landing using the skycrane design, which is engineered to work, but looks crazy. And of course, landing on Mars is always incredibly risky.
* "So call me maybe" - NASA will be on pins and needles waiting for the call back from the Curiosity rover after it lands, since there's about a 50/50 survival rate of Mars landings
* "It's hard to look right at you baby" - NASA will actually be communicating with Curiosity via the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and the Mars Odyssey orbiter, since the timing and location on Mars of the landing won't make Direct to Earth communication possible immediately following landing.
All images are credited to nasa.gov
The titles of the videos used in this video and the websites where the full length versions of them can be found are below.
* The Challenges of Getting to Mars
- Launching a Mars Rover
- The Cruise to Mars
- Curiosity's Seven Minutes of Terror
* Mars in a Minute
- Where Does Your Curiosity Lead?
- How Do You Land on Mars
- How Hard Is It to Land Curiosity on Mars
* Building Curiosity: Going For A Spin
* Landing System Drop Test
* Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover Animation (Full Version)
* Mars Science Laboratory Landing Site: Gale Crater
* The Science of Curiosity: Seeking Signs of Past Mars Habitability
* Mars' Whirling Dust Devil
* Spirit's Triumphs on Mars
* Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Launch, Mars Orbit Insertion and Aerobraking Animation
* Phoenix Landing - Nerves and Joy