MaximsNewsNetwork: HILLARY CLINTON WOMEN WAR PEACE IRAN UN SECURITY COUNCIL NPT FORMAT
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 30, 2009
MaximsNewsNetwork: 30 September 2009 - UNTV: United Nations The Security Council unanimously approves a resolution demanding that all parties to armed conflict immediately take appropriate measures to protect civilians, including women and children, from all forms of sexual violence. US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says that violence against women is, "not cultural but criminal."
The Security Council today (30 September) demanded that all parties to armed conflict take immediate action to protect civilians, including women and children, from all forms of sexual violence, and urged greater measures by States and the United Nations to combat this scourge.
In a unanimously adopted resolution, the Council also requested that Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon appoint a Special Representative to provide coherent and strategic leadership to address sexual violence in armed conflict.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton of the United States, which holds the Councils rotating presidency for this month presided the meeting and told the Council that the issue of sexual violence in conflict can not and should not be separated from the broader security issues confronting the Security Council.
She added that the international communitys response should go beyond condemning this behaviour to taking concrete steps to end it, stressing that sexual violence is not cultural, it is criminal.
In a lighter moment, Clinton - who was defeated by President Barack Obama in last year's Democratic presidential primary quipped to general laughter that she kind of like(s) being a president.
The Secretary-General in his address to the Council said that parties to armed conflict continue to use sexual violence with efficient brutality and generally operate with impunity, and pointed out that the international community must do more to prevent violence, protect individuals, punish perpetrators and provide redress to victims.
In a report issued on the issue in July, Ban called for States to strengthen prevention and protection measures against the systematic use of sexual violence as a weapon, a practice that is rife in armed conflicts in Africa, Asia and Europe.
Outside the Security Council Clinton responded to questions from reporters on a number of issues.
Regarding the Goldstone Report, which sharply condemns the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) actions during Januarys offensive in Gaza, she said that it is one-sided and that many of the recommendations can be appropriately dealt with by the institutions within Israel and in the Human Rights Council.
Turning to Irans nuclear programme, the Secretary of State said that Iran has a choice of complying with its international obligations, or grater isolation and international pressure.
Talks between senior officials from the five permanent members of the Security Council and Iran's top nuclear negotiator, Saeed Jalili are slated for tomorrow in Geneva.
News Network for the United Nations and the International Community.
"GIVING POWER & RESONANCE TO THE VOICE OF THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY"
Standard YouTube License
- 6:51 Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Larry King 1 of 5by TEI MULTIMEDIA 45,764 views
- 4:39 9/23/09 - United Nations General Assembly - Protest Rallies Against Dictators Frm Burma and Othersby Gersing Aung 94,674 views
- 1:42 Hillary Clinton Tells Syria Dictator Assad - Step Down Now! (abbreviated remarks) 8-18-11by Souria2011archives 933 views
- 2:26 Iran - The Countdown to the P-5+1by Stratfor 921 views
- 2:17 Cambodia: SHRIMPS SOUP OF KHMER ROUGE TRIAL [FR&EN]by The Informer 6,297 views
- 10:03 Charlie Rose - Ahmadinejad - Part 1by hatiger 19,923 views
- 8:43 Dunya TV-Dunya Today-19-07-2010-4by Dunya News Pakistan 2,129 views
- 2:12 Hillary Clinton: 'Women's Progress Is Human Progress'by VOAvideo 3,139 views
- 10:03 Charlie Rose - Ahmadinejad - Part 2by hatiger 7,036 views
- 1:43 Hillary Clinton outraged at Iran and Libya - 28 February 2011by sherlock72 1,619 views
- 29:38 Nuclear Non-proliferation: Hankuk University, Seoul, South Korea: President Obama Speech (2012)by thefilmarchived 2,469 views
- 5:10 Iran's Nuclear Facilities: The Factsby TRUTH 8,652 views
- 3:40 Historic Speech of Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto at UN security Council 15 December 1971by qadirkalhoro1 190,477 views
- 10:02 Charlie Rose - Ahmadinejad - Part 3by hatiger 5,828 views
- 8:19 Laura Ingraham Exposes the Phony War On Womenby SomePoliticalClips's channel 1,117 views
- 1:42 A good lesson for Burmese junta (if they knew how to learn)by tolimoli 11,739 views
- 3:21 US Secretary of State, Hilary Clinton, chairing the United Nations Security Councilby tamilmahan 411 views
- 2:54 Hillary Laughs about Iran War Resolutionby dankavanaugh 41,823 views
- 2:53 Geneva - Iran: atmosphereby Javier Solana 1,503 views
- 8:15 Women Under War Speak Out: Afghanistanby codepinkaction 1,636 views
- Loading more suggestions...