This video is unavailable.
World's first GSM call, 1 July 1991
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 29, 2011
Used with the permission of Finland's national public service broadcasting company, YLE.
Harri Holkeri, then prime minister of Finland, makes the world's first GSM call on 1 July 1991 from Esplanadi Park, Helsinki, Finland. The network was built by Telenokia and Siemens - today's Nokia Siemens Networks - for the Finnish operator Radiolinja that now operates under the name Elisa.
Today, there are over 4.4 billion GSM mobile subscriptions. GSM is the fastest growing technology in history.
This is the first GSM call over a private operator network
It goes to Vice Mayor Kaarina Suonio in Tampere
We can all hear it via loudspeakers
This is exciting.
No noise on the line.
The GSM network is free of background noise.
We are waiting for the reply
Vice Mayor Suonio?
I'm calling from Helsinki, wishing you a good summer
Is it Harri?
Yes. We are making history. I'm calling with the new GSM network; we are the first to speak over it
I can hear you very well
It is noise-free, like speaking to a neighbour
How much does this differ from a normal call?
You know it
Yes, viewers can hear us. GSM is safe, nobody can listen-in to it.
Correct. GSM is noise-free, it is the safest and the most economical network
It is great that you have only a SIM-card that you can change it to any phone in the system and make it your own
You've learned this well
It makes us integrate to Europe and feel home everywhere
When will this spread outside Europe?
With this pace of technology development, it will not take many years
Are you having a party there?
Yes, I see happy faces around me. I say this is a call away from recession, and the start of new growth
The audience seems happy, but it may be the nice summer day
We all think this will be start of a better time
A great advancement in technology is always a step for the better
And this has a lot of Finnish know-how in it
It is great to see Finland in the front-line again
To all of you, best wishes from Helsinki, now this new European system has been taken to use
In the European way: Merci beaucoup, Monsieur, Au revoir!
[Missing from subtitles:
(In Swedish) Thank you, too!]
Thank you, we had the opportunity to see and hear the first call with our own eyes and ears.
- 9:27 GSM Module - The Well Tempered Hacker Ep 3by Anders BrownworthFeatured 31,287
- 13:35 Mobile Originated Call Flow - GSMby Rohit Trehan 56,920 views
- 3:42 2050 Future - Technology -airbusby zulqarnain shah 62,702 views
- 1:43 MOBILE COMMUNICATIONby vishvendar choudhary 139,845 views
- 11:56 GSM Tutorialby Saravanan AL 16,938 views
- 1:31 ROLL LAPTOP Amazing new Technology 2012by shafqatullah1 844,810 views
- 4:32 New technology for parking bicyclesتقنية حديثة لتخزين (اصطفاف) الدراجاتby mr2000jp 155,870 views
- 14:49 GSM Network Elements - Part 1by Rohit Trehan 37,654 views
- 1:19 How to Scramble Eggs Inside Their Shellby Nighthawkinlight 5,024,385 views
- 6:10 4th Alarm Structure Fire Burbankby VerdugoScanner 11,446 views
- 3:57 The Simple Truth about Quality of Service (QoS) Differentiationby uniteChannel 5,878 views
- 10:10 Teleysia - GSM Logical Channels 1by Sanjay Gohel 6,468 views
- 7:38 2G GSM Architectureby Rohit Trehan 21,920 views
- 28:48 Eduskunnan täysistunto 1989 huhtikuu (ei kuvaa)by KuvosenHelli 751 views
- 4:17 The Simple Truth about Telecoms Securityby uniteChannel 2,224 views
- 10:54 Mobile Terminated Call Flow - GSMby Rohit Trehan 11,273 views
- 6:54 GSM Architecture Lecture Tutorial Video Presentationby Jeba Peace 17,491 views
- 1:03:02 27c3: Android geolocation using GSM networkby Christiaan008 638 views
- 8:55 Part 1 - Home alarm installationby bounder97 24,618 views
- 2:09 New Technology of Computer Mouse (Pointing Device)by a11335599b 23,000 views
- Loading more suggestions...