Obama Outlines $500M Gun Control Plan, Assault Weapons Ban, Schools, Research on Gun Violence
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 16, 2013
During the presidential campaign, Obama announced that he favors measures that respect Second Amendment rights, while at the same time keeping guns away from children and criminals. On February 25, 2009, Attorney General Eric Holder announced that the Obama administration would seek a new assault weapons ban across the United States, saying that it would have a positive impact on the drug-related violence in Mexico. After the statement drew criticism from the NRA and some House Democrats, the Administration reportedly ordered the Justice Department to end public discussion of the issue. Obama has signed into law two bills containing amendments reducing restrictions on gun owners, one which permits guns to be transported in checked baggage on Amtrak trains and another which allows carrying loaded firearms in national parks located in states allowing concealed carry. In his public address regarding the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, Obama said, "As a country we have been through this too many times... these neighborhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children. And we're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics." On January 16, 2013, President Obama outlined a series of sweeping gun control proposals, urging Congress to reintroduce an expired ban on "military-style" assault weapons, such as those used in several recent mass shootings, impose limits on ammunition magazines to 10 rounds, introduce background checks on all gun sales, pass a ban on possession and sale of armor-piercing bullets, introduce harsher penalties for gun-traffickers, especially unlicensed dealers who buy arms for criminals and approving the appointment of the head of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives for the first time since 2006.
The Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB), or Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, was a subtitle of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a federal law in the United States that included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms, so called "assault weapons". The 10-year ban was passed by Congress on September 13, 1994, and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton the same day. The ban only applied to weapons manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment.
The Federal Assault Weapons Ban expired on September 13, 2004, as part of the law's sunset provision. There have been multiple attempts to renew the ban, but no bill has reached the House floor for a vote.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:05 Judge Jeanine: Banning weapons to prevent crime doesn't workby skelaw kofiFeatured 8,035
- 28:34 Jawar Mohammed speech at the commemoration of the one year non-violent struggle of Ethio Muslimsby firsthijrah2010 7,548 views
- 10:24 Sen. Ted Cruz Dismantles Assault Weapons Ban at Gun Control Hearingby chris wigtion 4,996 views
- 18:59 Anwar Ibrahim: Orang Yang Paling Takut Saya Jadi Perdana Menteri Ialah Mahathirby mediarakyat 360,850 views
- 6:50 Piers Morgan gets angry after losing Gun Control debate and throws his notes towards his guest !by nycresistance 1,611,738 views
- 11:12 Rush Limbaugh Slams President Obama For Using Kids As "Human Shields" - Gun Controlby Massteaparty 4,837 views
- 5:35 Obama pursuing UN treaty to take away gun owners' rights across America & the World (July 6, 2012)by ADRENALINEJUNKY -JASON HENDRICKS 5,981 views
- 6:02 Assault Weapon Ban...My Line in the Sandby James Yeager 185,745 views
- 0:30 FLASHBACK: Puppet Obama- I Will NOT Take Your Gunsby briman72123 9,064 views
- 24:44 Watch President Obama Announce Proposals for Sweeping Gun Control Legislationby PBSNewsHour 68,839 views
- 15:09 DID OBAMA HIRE KILLER CHRISTOPHER DORNER FOR GUN CONTROL Nevada Governor 2014 David Lory VanDerBeekby David Lory VanDerBeek 12,241 views
- 8:36 Obama's GUN Executive Actions! ATF Whistleblower CLEARED! NY Anti-GUN Law!by DEMCAD 10,957 views
- 4:22 Efficiency of Militia Bill H.R. 11654, of June 28, 1902 invalidates all so-called gun-control lawsby kicktroolinface 4,639 views
- 2:15 Did Lifting Gun Ban Lower Crime Rates in D.C. & Chicago?by evelkidnievel 2,274 views
- 4:31 Colorado House passes gun control billsby sailingmanuel 2,050 views
- 3:15 Obama's Secret Gun Control plan! Dick Morris TV: Lunch ALERT!by dickmorrisreports 82,324 views
- 4:28 Kansas Ready For War Against Obama Administrationby myfalseworld 3,389 views
- 0:36 Feinstein Gets Pissed Off Right Before Her Assault Weapons Ban Gets Defeatedby Conservative1001BG 33,476 views
- 15:01 Sackcloth&Ashes Satanic Ritual Killing 2012 &The Return of the FALLEN!by KijaniAmariAK 10,140 views
- 23:17 President Obama at the 2013 White House Correspondents' Dinner - Completeby TheDailyConversation 312,327 views
- Loading more suggestions...