Don't It Make You Want to Go Home - Joe South - 1969
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 7, 2007
Reached #41 in the Pop charts & #27 in the Country charts
Joseph Alfred Souter (born February 28, 1940, in Atlanta, Georgia) is a Grammy Award-winning American singer-songwriter with a distinctive guitar sound.
Joe South had several mega hits in the late 1960s and early 1970s with songs such as "Don't It Make You Wanna Go Home" and "Walk a Mile in My Shoes". His biggest and most-remembered single was "Games People Play" (1969), a Top 10 hit on both sides of the Atlantic, which won the "Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Song" and the prestigious "Grammy Award for Song of the Year", and which bears a striking resemblance to the children's gospel song, "I Don't Want to Be a Pharisee". It was featured on his first album, Introspect.
He had met and was encouraged by Bill Lowery, an Atlanta music publisher and radio personality. He began his recording career in Atlanta with National Recording Corporation, where he served as staff guitarist along with other NRC artists Ray Stevens and Jerry Reed. South's earliest recordings have been re-released by NRC on CD.
Joe South songs have been recorded by other artists. They include Lynn Anderson's 1971 hit "(I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden", Billy Joe Royal's hit "Down in the Boondocks," Deep Purple's "Hush" (a British hit many years later for Kula Shaker), the Osmonds' hit "Yo-Yo," and Elvis Presley's Las Vegas-era version of "Walk a Mile in My Shoes", also recorded by Bryan Ferry and Coldcut.
South was also a prominent sideman, recording the memorable guitar part on Aretha Franklin's Chain of Fools, Tommy Roe's Sheila as well as appearing on Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde. He also played the electric guitar part that was added to Simon & Garfunkel's first hit, "The Sound of Silence".
The suicide of his brother Tommy drove South into a deep depression. Tommy had been his band's drummer and accompanied Joe not only in live performances but also on recording sessions of South-produced hits for other artists including Billy Joe Royal, Sandy Posey, and Friend & Lover.
Joe South was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1979 and is a member of the Georgia Music Hall Of Fame.
In 1988 dutch DJ Jan Donkers interviewed Joe South for VPRO-radio. The radio show where they aired the interview also included four new songs but a new record didn't came out.
In 1994 Joe played in England.
On september 13, 2003 Joe was inducted into Georgia Music Hall of Fame and played together with Buddy Buie, J.R. Cobb, Chips Moman at the induction ceremony.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Don't It Make You Want To Go Home (2002 Digital Remaster)" on
- 46 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Don't It Make You Want to Go Home - Joe South - 1969
- 37:48 Cry Plays: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines [P1]by Cryaotic Featured 786,932
- 3:54 Brook Benton - Rainy Night in Georgiaby Southerngirl675385,161 views
- 3:33 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY - JOE SOUTH 1969.wmvby Handyman1714227,135 views
- 7:42 Janis Joplin bitches about European audiencesby cavettbiter828,335 views
- 3:37 THE BELLS, "Stay Awhile" For the Class of 76 HHSby murphicus453,543 views
- 3:21 One Tin Soldier - The Legend of Billy Jackby Subtitleman2,903,315 views
- 3:40 Bobbie Gentry - Ode to Billie Joeby ral7196975,020 views
- 48 videos Play all Michael Buble I wanna Go Homeby rukinging
- Joe South 466 videos2
- 4:03 JOE SOUTH- " WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES "by rwells47263,140 views
- 3:25 Zager And Evans - In The Year 2525by eitan196113,089,823 views
- 3:12 Hitchin` A Ride - Vanity Fareby 45rpmSINGLES609,226 views
- 2:31 The American Breed - Bend Me, Shape Meby SeaOvJapan684,523 views
- 3:20 Joe South - DON'T IT MAKE YOU WANT TO GO HOMEby futykoolz18,995 views
- 6:41 How Do You Do - Mouth and MacNeil & "The Windows" coverby murphicus1,265,519 views
- 5:04 Tom Jones, Mike Ward, Joseph Apostol - 'Games People Play' The Voice U.K Semi-Finals [HD]by uesertest97,398 views
- 3:18 Linda Ronstadt - Long Long Timeby santadude4,021,090 views
- 3:10 Run Baby Run - The Newbeats - HD STEREOby AnnaMayWongSociety237,627 views
- 3:46 John Wesley Ryles - Kayby livingadream277,898 views
- 3:10 JOHNNY RIVERS - Secret Agent Man 1966by boybblue2,373,138 views