The Power Of Art: 1/8 - Caravaggio (BBC Series)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 28, 2012
Michelangelo Merisi left his birth town of Caravaggio in the north of Italy to study as an apprentice in nearby Milan. In 1593 he moved to Rome, impatient to use his talents on the biggest stage possible.
Caravaggio's approach to painting was unconventional. He avoided the standard method of making copies of old sculptures and instead took the more direct approach of painting directly onto canvas without drawing first. He also used people from the street as his models. His dramatic painting was enhanced with intense and theatrical lighting.
Caravaggio's fate was sealed when in 1606 he killed a man in a duel. He fled to Naples where he attempted to paint his way out of trouble, he became a Knight, but was then imprisoned in Malta and then finally he moved to Sicily. He was pardoned for murder in 1610, but he died of a fever attempting to return to Rome.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is not a series about things that hang on walls, it is not about decor or prettiness. It is a series about the force, the need, the passion of art
...the power of art.
The power of the greatest art is the power to shake us into revelation and rip us from our default mode of seeing. After an encounter with that force, we don't look at a face, a colour, a sky, a body, in quite the same way again. We get fitted with new sight: in-sight. Visions of beauty or a rush of intense pleasure are part of that process, but so too may be shock, pain, desire, pity, even revulsion. That kind of art seems to have rewired our senses. We apprehend the world differently.
Art that aims that high -- whether by the hand of Caravaggio, Van Gogh or Picasso -- was not made without trouble and strife. Of course there has been plenty of great art created in serenity, but the popular idea that some masterpieces were made under acute stress with the artist struggling for the integrity of the conception and its realisation is not a "romantic myth" at all. A glance at how some of the most transforming works got made by human hands is an encounter with "moments of commotion".
It's those hot spots in which great risks were taken that The Power of Art brings you. Instead of trying to reproduce the un-reproducible feeling you have when you are face to face with those works in the hush of the gallery or a church, the series (and the book) drops you instead into those difficult places and unforgiving dramas when the artists managed, against the odds, to astound. "Every artist thinks he's Rembrandt", Picasso once joked, but there would come a time when he thought so himself!
All the artists in our series -- and some of the contemporary artists on our website who have joined in its spirit to reflect on them -- have felt part of this craft of exhilarating trouble. I hope, when you watch the programmes, you too get to feel the heat.
the power of art, bbc, power of art, documentary, simon schama, series, tv, documentaries, schama, art, caravaggio, episode 1, david, episodes, turner, van gogh, painting, museum, the arts, bernini, rembrandt, picasso, rothko, bbc documentary, bbc series, documentary channel, learningchannei, inside the saudi kingdom, documentarychannei, troublesvictims, national geographic, discovery, television, history, arts,
Standard YouTube License
- 57:13 The Power Of Art: 2/8 - Bernini (BBC Series)by InternationalDocsFeatured 10,064
- 59:25 The Power Of Art: 6/8 - Van Gogh (BBC Series)by InternationalDocs 13,258 views
- 59:05 Constantine: The Christian Roman Emperor | BBC History Documentaryby World History Documentary 29,099 views
- 58:12 Raphael - The Prince of Painters pt. I of IIby CP Weyant 18,196 views
- 59:05 The Power Of Art: 7/8 - Picasso (BBC Series)by InternationalDocs 10,356 views
- Caravaggio 3,038 videos14
- 59:01 A History of Britain Ep. 1 - Beginningsby Abel Gordillo 9,175 views
- 58:38 BBC. The Story of God 1. Life the Universe and Everythingby tarasskeptic 167,473 views
- 47:45 BBC Battlefields - North Africa (WW2 Documentary)by TheFredferguson 8,217 views
- 35:31 Caravaggio en estado puro.aviby Miguel García Nieto 6,333 views
- 52:31 CARAVAGGIO - ( EL CASO CARAVAGGIO) - GRANDES GENIOS DE LA PINTURAby Jesús Alberto Arbeláez Arce 6,273 views
- 58:22 BBC Richard Hammonds Invisible Worlds S01E02 720p BluRayby teun444 113,188 views
- 51:32 The Power of Art - Caravaggioby ArtHistoryLuv 747 views
- 58:45 BBC's: The Story of Ireland 1of5 Age of Invasionsby TheLordJaza 150,118 views
- 58:58 West African Dogon Masks Documentary by BBCby dmthead2012's channel 93,813 views
- 4:00:15 The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of The World by Niall Ferguson Epsd. 1-5 (Full Documentary)by DayInTheLifeOfRTB 632,296 views
- 59:24 El Poder del Arte - Caravaggio - 01/08by Canal de capauno 2,486 views
- 58:41 The Power of Art - Rembrandt (complete episode)by kunstskole's channel 98,166 views
- 22:49 The Human Torches of Tibet: BBC Our World documentaryby TibetSociety 8,599 views
- 59:22 The Power Of Art: 4/8 - David (BBC Series)by InternationalDocs 9,603 views
- 59:00 1258 - History of Britain - Simon Schama - Henry IIIby Brent Alan Beck 12,114 views
- Loading more suggestions...