Warren Buffett - Coke vs McDonald's
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 12, 2011
For the latest Warren Buffett, go to http://WarrenBuffettNews.com -
There are a lot of things you can learn if you are around securities over the course of your career, and you will find a lot of arbitrage opportunities. However, that probably won't be the primary driver of your investment returns.
If you are not a professional investor, then you should be extremely diversified and you should do very little trading. However, if you want to bring an intensity to the game, and you are going to value businesses, then diversification is a terrible mistake. If you really know business, then you shouldn't own more than 6 businesses. Very few people have gotten rich on their 7th best idea. You'd be much better off putting more money into your best idea.
Proctor and Gamble is a good business. But if you are going to go away for 20 years, would you rather own Coca-Cola or Proctor and Gamble? Proctor and Gamble wouldn't be bad, but Coca-Cola has much better pricing power. They sell 1 billion units per day. If they charge a penny more, they will make another $10 million per day.
McDonald's has a lot of things going for it. But it is a tougher business. People do not want to eat at McDonald's every day. If someone drinks 5 Cokes today, they will probably buy 5 more tomorrow. The fast food business is tough, and they don't win taste tests. They are also competing on price more than they used to, and they give away toys in order to sell more product. It is better to own a business with a product that can stand alone absent promotions and price appeals. But it is a very good business. Not as good as Coca-Cola, but then again very few businesses are.
The utility industry is tough to understand because there are so many regulations. Obviously the guy who produces energy more cheaply has an advantage, but it is hard to predict how much of the profits he will be allowed to keep and whether he can sell his energy outside of his geographic area. A lot of money will be made in utilities, but it is hard to be able to tell who is going to make it.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:12:30 SQL scripting for beginners 2/4; SQL programming language intro video for Software QA Testersby portnovschool Featured 36,488
- 59:40 How to Stay Out of Debt: Warren Buffett - Financial Future of American Youth (1999)by The Film Archives284,297 views
- 56:41 Buffett & Gates on Successby Idiot Television174,100 views
- 10:57 Charlie Munger Reveals Secrets to Getting Richby CharlieMungerChannel119,024 views
- 8:31 Warren Buffett - How to Turn $40 into $5 Millionby WarrenBuffettBlog1,218,477 views
- 44:23 Warren Buffet Documentaryby TheRichClique116,513 views
- 6:34 Warren Buffett - Why Disney is a Great Businessby WarrenBuffettBlog9,433 views
- 14 videos Play all Warren Buffetby peerawatpi
- 6:29 Warren Buffett - Investing in Real Estateby WarrenBuffettBlog152,775 views
- 7:54 Warren Buffett - The Two Most Important Essays on Investingby WarrenBuffettBlog14,596 views
- 10:02 Warren Buffett - How He Became a Billionaireby WarrenBuffettBlog16,433 views
- 10:01 Warren Buffett's 10 Ways to Get Richby BillionaireMedia462,467 views
- 8:46 Warren Buffett - What is Franchise Value?by WarrenBuffettBlog15,509 views
- 5:46 Warren Buffett - The Book that Changed My Lifeby WarrenBuffettBlog438,547 views
- 9:11 Warren Buffett - How to Identify a Good Investmentby WarrenBuffettBlog94,762 views
- 51:18 Charlie Rose - An Hour with Warren Buffettby Charlie Rose264,327 views
- 9:33 Warren Buffett on Gambling: The Parable of the St. Bernardby SPGAmerica13,206 views
- 3:37 Warren Buffett on Pepsiby valueinvestorsportal30,077 views
- 59:03 Warren Buffett - The World's Greatest Money Maker (full documentary)by jesper02202,515 views
- 10:05 Warren Buffett on Bubbles and Excess Leverageby valueinvestorsportal20,417 views